F18 Stick Issue - Castle Switch

Thanatos31

Recently my Castle Switch has started acting up. 

it would be soft/non click/ non registering to the left; after pressing right a couple of times it would be "active" again. 

Has anyone ever replaced a castle switch or even know where / how to get the parts? 

Unfortunately google hasnt delivered for me - and the stick is out of warranty 

Thanks 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

You may not need to replace it... yet.

First, open it up and take the switch out. Carefully open it up, and make sure you take a picture of the wiring (color of wires, so in case you dislodge the wires, you know which goes to which in order to solder them back. The soldering and wiring is a bit fragile. Inside, there are four mini-pushbuttons sitting on each side, N-E-S-W, see the attached picture. You can buy some from SparkFun to replace them. Should be this one, https://www.sparkfun.com/products/97. But I can't guarantee it, as I can't find that bag of mine I bought. But the case dimension should be 7x7x3.5mm (excluding the button part. Note that you will need to modify the leads a bit and solder them in place.

Or, if you are adventurous, you can open the mini-pushbuttons, and clean them up... reassemble, and you should be fine.

I have done the cleaning with an air compressor and some electronic contact reviving solution like 3 times with my Warthog throttle MIC switch... (inside, they are all the same construction), before I had to buy spare part of the whole thing from Thrustmaster (something else broke).

null

image.png

Just got my F-18 grip my third one I sent back the other 2 from Amazon dealers because of switches not returning to center both was weapon select. Now this one the third one the castle switch does not return to center. Dang !!!! This one is from Thrustmaster !!! I might be able to live with it … maybe, what to do what to do.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

But if I I flick it left it will return. Maybe it just needs alittle breaking in… I maybe able to live with this. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

One thing that'll help is that most of Thrustmasters products have a 2 year warranty. Open up a case with them and they can send you a replacement part or you may be able to send it to them for repair.

I ran into this for my Hornet grip, though the weapon select switch was what broke on mine. Dealing with Thrustmaster was pretty straight forward and I was able to replace that switch myself. Mine would stick going forward and aft, and I thought it would free up as I used it and "broke it in". It never got better and eventually stopped registering hits when going aft. The new switch feels much better.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Yeah they are great in responding but the only downfall is that they only use PayPal for parts and I cancelled my account years ago because of fraudulent activity. I was trying to get a trim hat to replace on my viper grip. But true they responded very quick and professional. I decided to keep the Hornet grip but will keep a good eye on that sensor control left position.

Start Date April 2020 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...

I have a similar problem with the weapon select switch...seems to be a very common problem.

Now I also have the Viper grip and the CMS switch has the same functionality but the "click" feels way more solid. Looking at the CMS from the outside (and measuring its diameter) it seems to have the same dimensions like the Hornet weapon select switch. 

Anyone here knows, if one could just order the CMS as a spare part and change it for the WSS on the Hornet grip? How would I get the actual button piece off?

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

• 11 months later...
Il 31/5/2022 at 22:45, Hempstead ha scritto:

You may not need to replace it... yet.

First, open it up and take the switch out. Carefully open it up, and make sure you take a picture of the wiring (color of wires, so in case you dislodge the wires, you know which goes to which in order to solder them back. The soldering and wiring is a bit fragile. Inside, there are four mini-pushbuttons sitting on each side, N-E-S-W, see the attached picture. You can buy some from SparkFun to replace them. Should be this one, https://www.sparkfun.com/products/97. But I can't guarantee it, as I can't find that bag of mine I bought. But the case dimension should be 7x7x3.5mm (excluding the button part. Note that you will need to modify the leads a bit and solder them in place.

Or, if you are adventurous, you can open the mini-pushbuttons, and clean them up... reassemble, and you should be fine.

I have done the cleaning with an air compressor and some electronic contact reviving solution like 3 times with my Warthog throttle MIC switch... (inside, they are all the same construction), before I had to buy spare part of the whole thing from Thrustmaster (something else broke).

null

image.png

I had a switch on the castle that don't work, so after disassembled the grip I must push out the whole castle and split in the half (I see 4 hole, there are 4 Bolt ?) after that I must see which switch stopped clicking.. But how can I pull out from that thiny place? Sorry for the languages.. 

• 7 months later...

I just wanted to pipe in and say I just received a ThrustMaster F18C stick ordered from Thrusmaster on Amazon and the castle hat up was stuck on (button #7). Couldn't get it to disengage or work in anyway, so this is still an issue apparently. Glad it was out of the box. Sending it back. Not disassembling a new stick. 

After talking with Amazon customer service, they said they couldn't even offer a replacement; either I had to just take the refund or be put into contact with Thrustmaster, whom they said have very strict inventory controls. Needless to say, I took a refund. 

Any other suggestions besides the F18 stick that would work with a Thrustmaster Warthog &/or Magnetic Base?  Have the F16/A10 stick, WH throttle and TPR. Wanted a new stick, but I have to say, didn't like the feel of the F18C grip anyway, so I kind of feel 'lucky' for lack of a better word. I suppose I would've gotten used to it. 

Just fyi.

Edited by LancerVI

3 hours ago, LancerVI said:

I just wanted to pipe in and say I just received a ThrustMaster F18C stick ordered from Thrusmaster on Amazon and the castle hat up was stuck on (button #7). Couldn't get it to disengage or work in anyway, so this is still an issue apparently. Glad it was out of the box. Sending it back. Not disassembling a new stick. 

After talking with Amazon customer service, they said they couldn't even offer a replacement; either I had to just take the refund or be put into contact with Thrustmaster, whom they said have very strict inventory controls. Needless to say, I took a refund. 

Any other suggestions besides the F18 stick that would work with a Thrustmaster Warthog &/or Magnetic Base?  Have the F16/A10 stick, WH throttle and TPR. Wanted a new stick, but I have to say, didn't like the feel of the F18C grip anyway, so I kind of feel 'lucky' for lack of a better word. I suppose I would've gotten used to it. 

Just fyi.

Same happened to mine an TM paid a replacement, sent the unit to France.
It was time ago, but it is sad seeing Customer support diluting.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle