Flaps Emergency Retract won't retract the flaps when flaps are in DN position

Akiazusa
Go to solution Solved by jaylw314,

Hi,the Flaps Emergency Retract won't retract the flaps when flaps are in DN position

There was an old post about the Emergency Retract will deploy flaps if the flaps are in MVR or UP.

Now bugs in that post is fixed,and it works perfectly fine when it's in MVR or UP. But there is a new bug when it's in DN position.If in DN position,the Flaps Emergency Retract will only retract the flaps 3-4° then lock the flaps in that position no matter how fast you fly instead of retracting the flaps using airflow.

Flaps Emergency Retract won't retract the flaps when flaps are in DN position.trk

Hope the team could take a look at this,thanks.

Edited by Akiazusa

Kyoto Animation forever!

The flaps retract switch basically just disconnects the hydraulic servo from the flaps so it moves freely.  While moving, the airflow will push the flaps up from the DN or MVR position to about 4deg down, but no higher.  If the flaps are already retracted, though they'll stay fully up.

Once you stop moving, the flaps just drop to the full down position.

32 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

The flaps retract switch basically just disconnects the hydraulic servo from the flaps so it moves freely.  While moving, the airflow will push the flaps up from the DN or MVR position to about 4deg down, but no higher.  If the flaps are already retracted, though they'll stay fully up.

Once you stop moving, the flaps just drop to the full down position.

Yeah,I agree with that.

But when in DN position,it will retract the flaps about 4 degrees, not to 4 deg. For example if it was previous in 30° down the Emergency Retract will retract it to around 25° down and lock it in there.  

In MER position or UP it works just exactly like what you described.

Kyoto Animation forever!

6 hours ago, Akiazusa said:

Yeah,I agree with that.

But when in DN position,it will retract the flaps about 4 degrees, not to 4 deg. For example if it was previous in 30° down the Emergency Retract will retract it to around 25° down and lock it in there.  

In MER position or UP it works just exactly like what you described.

Ah, okay, I'm not able to look at the track file.  Were you looking at the external view, the indicator or both?  I assume you were in the air flying?

5 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Ah, okay, I'm not able to look at the track file.  Were you looking at the external view, the indicator or both?  I assume you were in the air flying?

yeah,I checked the both(however I'm not sure if I checked the external view in the track file,but I did check it before the track flght),and I was flying in the air, after the flaps got locked I flied into a deep dive accelerate to above 250kts,nearly 300kts I think,and the flaps still got locked down. As soon as I turned off the EMER retract,the flaps got retracted by the overspeed protection feature.

Kyoto Animation forever!

I remember reading somewhere that If flaps are DN the flaps should retract to something less than like 10-15 degrees due purely to aerodynamic forces. Starting from 20 degrees in the full down position them only moving 4 degrees up seems at least close to realistic. They won’t retract all the way.  

Once you turned emergency retract back off hydraulic power was restored which allowed them to retract normally. 

Edited by ASAP
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Akiazusa said:

yeah,I checked the both(however I'm not sure if I checked the external view in the track file,but I did check it before the track flght),and I was flying in the air, after the flaps got locked I flied into a deep dive accelerate to above 250kts,nearly 300kts I think,and the flaps still got locked down. As soon as I turned off the EMER retract,the flaps got retracted by the overspeed protection feature.

I had a minute to check it myself in flight, and indeed in the DN position, turning on the emergency flaps retract switch only lifts them about 5 degrees (75% on the external view info bar).  I forgot to check how much the flaps lift in the MVR setting.

I couldn't find anything on how MUCH the flaps are supposed to lift in the DN setting (I'm not sure where I heard the 4 deg number, but obviously it was wrong), but in the MVR setting they should lift to near 0 deg.  If that does not occur, then it's probably a bug

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

Just to close the loop on this, I tested using the external view, since the info bar displays flap position as 0-100%.  100% is presumably 20 degrees, but I don't know that for sure:

• Flaps UP - 0%
    • emergency retract - 3%
  • Flaps MVR - 35%
    • emergency retract - 3%
  • Flaps DN - 100%
    • emergency retract - 75%

So in DCS it seems the wind blows the flaps from the DN position (20 deg) up to about 15 deg, while in any other position it blows it to nearly fully up.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Just to close the loop on this, I tested using the external view, since the info bar displays flap position as 0-100%.  100% is presumably 20 degrees, but I don't know that for sure:

• Flaps UP - 0%
    • emergency retract - 3%
  • Flaps MVR - 35%
    • emergency retract - 3%
  • Flaps DN - 100%
    • emergency retract - 75%

So in DCS it seems the wind blows the flaps from the DN position (20 deg) up to about 15 deg, while in any other position it blows it to nearly fully up.

Looking at an old TO I found online, that is exactly what the manual says it should do. This isn't a bug, its correctly modeled

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Solution
39 minutes ago, ASAP said:

Looking at an old TO I found online, that is exactly what the manual says it should do. This isn't a bug, its correctly modeled

If we have the same one, yes.  I've been misreading it, it says the wind blows the flap TO 15 degrees, not UP 15 degrees, so that does match what we're seeing 😁

• Like 1