Best Headset for My Situation

Bluecat

My not-so-trusty Rift S just died.

Basically, I'm running an i5-12400, a 3070ti, and 32G of DDR4 ram.

What's the best bang for my buck in VR headsets that my system can drive?

Thanks

Edited by Bluecat

did you buy games from oculus store?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Best bang for buck is Reverb G2.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

did you buy games from oculus store?

No, I purchased through Steam.

6 hours ago, Topo said:

HP Reverb G2?

& do you think my system specs (above) can drive it?

Edited by Bluecat

The G2 should be doable, you won't get near the same frametimes though so some compromises will need to be made, typically running it at slightly lower resolution will be sufficient 🙂

If you're happy with the performance/image of the Rift S and/or on a tight budget then consider looking at an old lenovo explorer.  Running through openxr,  the explorer looks much better than the G2 at equal resolutions and performance is great; the caveat is that the screen door is much more reduced on the G2.  The explorer is slightly higher resolution than the Rift S so you should see a minor improvement on visual clarity.  If you're willing to take the performance hit then the G2 is far superior image.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, Topo said:

Edmuss is probably right, but from my experience (i'm from a RiftS also, and now i've a G2) you can mantain more or less Rift S performances reducing G2 resolution, with a better image.

Just for reference, the other week I tested both my G2 and explorer back to back to compare how they worked out and for curiosities sake.

When the G2 was reduced down to explorer resolution (1400x1400) it was terrible image quality in comparison, it was fuzzy and indistinct; I think it's because the  render is being spanned across a couple of display pixels in comparison to the explorers 1:1 render/display pixel ratio.  Performance between the two was identical though as far as I remember.

I also tested the G2 at 1960x1960 (1400x1.47ish to account for the weird upscaling ratio applied to the G2 because of lens distortion) and it was still not as good an image as the explorer.  Note that this is based on the 100% resolution of the G2 to be nominally 3170ish pixels wide (2160x1.47), in all cases though the screen door effect is virtually invisible in the G2 in comparison to the explorer.

I run my G2 at around 85-90% resolution (2800-2900ish pixels wide) with an overclocked 3070FE and generally get 65-80 fps on caucasus in the A10, syria is generally about 55-70fps.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

I'm running a Reverb G1 with an i7 8700k and a 2080 super with 32gb @3200mhz and for multiplayer I never get below 40-45fps in all maps, running at 80% resolution and OpenXR. My Average is around 55-60fps. I don't run any mods for VR either. I used to run the one that modified the shaders for improved performance, but since OpenXR I haven't needed it.

If you're running a 3070TI you should be totally capable of running the G2. Your CPU is better than mine as well.

Single player is even better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, timcat said:

Reverb G2 $200.00 off sale.

Ha! I had been checking it since yesterday & it just now opened up for new orders. Got it done at $399.

I appreciate all the advice, everyone. Thanks mucho

Edited by Bluecat
add info
  • Like 2

G2 for sure.  You'll run it just fine.  Only pointer really is make sure you have enough light in the room for the tracking...  Doesn't need to be like 6 60W lights or anything crazy..  just can't be super dark :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

26 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

G2 for sure.  You'll run it just fine.  Only pointer really is make sure you have enough light in the room for the tracking...  Doesn't need to be like 6 60W lights or anything crazy..  just can't be super dark :).

I use a Govee LED strip set to red for tracking lighting and it works fine. It's also important to have discernable shapes in the tracking area that the WMR can recognise.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

So the tracking for the G2 is mainly focused on red wavelength?  Good to know :).

Yeah having a few things hanging on the walls creating trackable shapes is good for sure :).

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

4 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

So the tracking for the G2 is mainly focused on red wavelength?  Good to know :).

Yeah having a few things hanging on the walls creating trackable shapes is good for sure :).

I wouldn't say specifically red but I've found it tracks just fine. I use red because it causes less light pollution and it's easier on the eyes (assuming I'm not in the headset) than blue/green.

edit: note that my rig is in a super enclosed area so there's a good amount of edges/faces close to the headset which might make the dim red light more acceptable.

Edited by edmuss

Makes sense.  Honestly though...   I'm in a somewhat dimly lit area (like one 40 watt light) and I have a 46" monitor at barely arms length in front of the headset and it works fine anyway so...  It's not like the tracking on the G2 is bad anyway 🙂

1 hour ago, M1Combat said:

Makes sense.  Honestly though...   I'm in a somewhat dimly lit area (like one 40 watt light) and I have a 46" monitor at barely arms length in front of the headset and it works fine anyway so...  It's not like the tracking on the G2 is bad anyway 🙂

I agree - back when I was running the G2 my area is quite dim and it always did great.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|