Radar FPS loss, with any state change, only once per state

MelonatorPL

I can report same issue, only have tried in Syria map. 

Some more details (In 2D btw):

• Syria Map
  • MP
  • Only occurred with the 60nm radar setting
    • Anything lower and the FPS drop was gone

I'll try and do more testing today especially on different maps. And then I'll try and attach a track if no one else beats me to it. 

• Thanks 1

Below I have attached the track of the FPS issue. I kept moving my head to demonstrate the fps drop. For me this happens in all terrains I own (Caucasus, Marianas, Persian Gulf, and Syria). In this track the radar is set to 60NM and I am targeting an OPFOR Yak40 heading away from me. This does however occur at shorter radar ranges too for me.

fpsissue.trk

Edited by MelonatorPL
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I don't have a track but I've certainly found this FPS drop (I'm running a pretty high spec PC, at 60-90 frames on Syria with high gfx settings) when using TEL mode in multiplayer: 1) With myself and a friend on a server he was hosting on his midrange PC, running Caucasus 2) Enigmas Cold War server with a decent number of players on, on the Syria map.

When switching into TEL mode, especially if there are maybe 2 contacts within range, though I've seen it with one only, it can cause some harsh FPS drops to under 25 for <1 second and then it goes away (Though for my friends lower spec PC it can be multiple seconds of huge FPS drop to <10 fps). Manual Lock-On seems to be fine. I'm not sure if aspect has anything to do with it, but found locking HOT bandits quicker and without FPS drops, whilst possibly cold/beam bandits cause some more fps drop? Although this could be a red herring and perhaps aspect has no impact.

• 3 weeks later...

Pardon the subject line, but wanted to be absolutely clear. This seems to be directly tied to how "busy" a mission is with objects. In single player with a nearly empty map, the bug doesn't seem to be there at all hardly, until I hit the TEL switch, then I drop down to about 2-3 FPS for about 5 seconds, then it stabilizes and everything is fine in the simulator. I can switch away and back with no FPS drop at all.

During a multiplayer mission with a lot of objects however.... The moment I put the radar into Standby it's a slide show of about 1 or less FPS for about 10-20 seconds, but then the same behavior. Once it stabilizes, it's fine. I can switch away and back, even shut it down, and start it up again without this problem. However once I go to another mode, such as with the TEL switch especially, I get the slide show again for the 2-3 FPS, this time for about another 8-10 seconds before it stabilizes, then I'm fine. I can do this on the ground before I take off to minimize the impact to my gameplay experience but... this is making the aircraft nearly unusable for anything other than ground attack for me, as when I do lock onto an enemy aircraft, it seems to consider it a different "mode" and it does the slide show routine again.

I've got an i7-5930K @ 3.5ghz with 32GB of RAM and DCS running off an SSD. DxDiag attached, and a Google Drive link to the trk file of the large multiplayer mission follows. I only have this kind of problem in the F1, and I own and fly damn near everything. Viper, Hornet, F-14, MiG-21bis, Mi-8, Mi-24....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15kOS2NSAKp9DVWaOUBo6KlichqIDUrp0/view?usp=sharing

It almost seems like you're hit-scanning everything in the mission or something in every state, then throwing out the irrelevant stuff.

DxDiag.txt

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that setting the default radar distance to 7nm (in normal scan mode, outside of autolock modes) can help reduce the TEL and BZ modes lag when first activated. Will continue to test, but seems leaving it set to 60/35nm will definitely create this lag effect if ground clutter and other stuff around.

• 1 month later...