George CPG and gun

Ian Boys UK

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 1:25 PM, BIGNEWY said:

He is engaging when I take control, however if he isnt happy he wont fire. 

Well then good for George but in the military you take orders regardless if you're happy or not.

I say George gets sent off to court martial and we get a cp that follows orders...

It would be great to get that m16 functioning btw, It would be really useful to me 😎.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here, seeing this behavior every single time I hop into the AH64.  I've observed the following:

• George never ever fired >2000m away from target, not even once
  • George seldom to never fires with the "consent to fire" button, only by using the long-press-up (free to engage?) he might fire some rounds
  • Tried all kind of concepts, going higher, slower etc. - none worked.  I can fly directly over a soldier who is shooting (and hitting my aircraft) while George is doing exactly nothing. 
  • Most of the time just before overflying the target, George starts shooting and released a ton of rounds although the target might be already physically not reachable anymore (as it's behind the gun by then)
  • An SA-8 200m-400m in front of me (or other things)... I'm sick of waiting for George to get some rounds out, it's quicker and more efficient to WAS the gun myself (as pilot) and then just spray it into the direction.

It's impossible how badly the gun (with George) is implemented right now.  I'm not expecting George to be a sniper with it (like the MI-24 on some servers) but at least he could get some rounds out and towards a target which is clearly visible while the helicopter is in a very stable flight (or even hover!).

Waiting for a fix, flying something else in between...

• Like 2

On 1/3/2023 at 9:40 AM, Shot said:

Same here, seeing this behavior every single time I hop into the AH64.  I've observed the following:

• George never ever fired >2000m away from target, not even once
  • George seldom to never fires with the "consent to fire" button, only by using the long-press-up (free to engage?) he might fire some rounds
  • Tried all kind of concepts, going higher, slower etc. - none worked.  I can fly directly over a soldier who is shooting (and hitting my aircraft) while George is doing exactly nothing. 
  • Most of the time just before overflying the target, George starts shooting and released a ton of rounds although the target might be already physically not reachable anymore (as it's behind the gun by then)
  • An SA-8 200m-400m in front of me (or other things)... I'm sick of waiting for George to get some rounds out, it's quicker and more efficient to WAS the gun myself (as pilot) and then just spray it into the direction.

It's impossible how badly the gun (with George) is implemented right now.  I'm not expecting George to be a sniper with it (like the MI-24 on some servers) but at least he could get some rounds out and towards a target which is clearly visible while the helicopter is in a very stable flight (or even hover!).

Waiting for a fix, flying something else in between...

What's funny; george's use of the canon was quite okay on release of the module. It wasn't very accurate, but he fired down the range....

• 2 weeks later...

It is EXTREMELY prevalent on multiplayer servers. Every single one not hosted on my PC to be exact.

I have noticed that the gun isn't even pointed at the target when consent to fire is pressed. I can get him to fire spurts of less than 10 rounds if I hold the consent to fire button, and if you look in 3rd person, the gun flails around and fires single shots.

• Like 2

Just wanted to bump and add my observations.

It appears that on multiplayer when George has the gun, he will not fire the laser ranger and TADS always displays a range of +9999  This results in the "ballistic limits" warning flag and george does not fire, even though he says "firing"

Can we fix this by having george lase continuously when gun is selected?  Not a realistic procedure, but if his decisionmaking is preventing him from lasing, that will solve the issue until his decisionmaking can be debugged.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:07 PM, ShuRugal said:

Just wanted to bump and add my observations.

It appears that on multiplayer when George has the gun, he will not fire the laser ranger and TADS always displays a range of +9999  This results in the "ballistic limits" warning flag and george does not fire, even though he says "firing"

Can we fix this by having george lase continuously when gun is selected?  Not a realistic procedure, but if his decisionmaking is preventing him from lasing, that will solve the issue until his decisionmaking can be debugged.

This seems to be the difference between using the gun in SP and MP. In SP the TADS seems to 'remember' the last lase distance so he lases and shoots and when he stops the TADS will still have a number (1950m for example). In MP as SOON as he stops lasing it just defaults to 9999 and screws his logic up, resulting in the stop/start inaccurate and incomplete bursts.

So it seems this discrepancy between SP and MP is the cause of the issue, but why is there any discrepancy at all? Are weapon systems on other modules like this? 

4 hours ago, placsea said:

This seems to be the difference between using the gun in SP and MP. In SP the TADS seems to 'remember' the last lase distance so he lases and shoots and when he stops the TADS will still have a number (1950m for example). In MP as SOON as he stops lasing it just defaults to 9999 and screws his logic up, resulting in the stop/start inaccurate and incomplete bursts.

So it seems this discrepancy between SP and MP is the cause of the issue, but why is there any discrepancy at all? Are weapon systems on other modules like this? 

....and why doesn't this get fixed?

• Like 1

I will say in the most recent OB update, George is now much better at shooting targets with the gun. In MP before, he was 0% effective at pulling the trigger. Now it seems like he is 100% effective at firing the gun in the right direction (based on a few servers I've tried.)

He does not seem to lase the target for long enough to get a laser range for the gun, so all the shots still miss at all ranges and all speeds.

Edited by DevArchitect
Adding detail
  • Like 1

My George fires the gun when i press "consent to fire", but completely misses the target, firing in its direction but WAY higher. Looks like he does not range it properly.

This was recorded in a multiplayer mission.

And in Free Fire mode, he will fire chaotically in all directions, only some of the rounds hitting the target.

If it's a bug, i really would like to see a hotfix. I'm new to the Apache and this kinda ruins the first impression.

• Like 3

AV-8B | MiG-21 | F/A-18C | F-16C | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf

On 1/31/2023 at 11:50 PM, SpaceKraken said:

My George fires the gun when i press "consent to fire", but completely misses the target, firing in its direction but WAY higher. Looks like he does not range it properly.

This was recorded in a multiplayer mission.

And in Free Fire mode, he will fire chaotically in all directions, only some of the rounds hitting the target.

If it's a bug, i really would like to see a hotfix. I'm new to the Apache and this kinda ruins the first impression.

I play in multiplayer server all the time and I fly alone (because I have no friends to CPG for me 🙁 ) and I was wondering why my rounds disappeared into the nether every time George fires , I see the same behavior on my gun that you show in this video something is definitely wrong with the gun I hope they address this  soon (kind of disruptive IMO)

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up on some of the comments noting that when George does fire, he vastly overshoots the target.

I observed the same thing in MP flying as a CPG for someone the other day.  Tracking a non-moving target with LMC and lasing the range, all of my shots were long, by roughly 10% of the range to target.  This happened flying towards the target and flying laterally past the target.  I do not have this problem employing the gun in single player.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team
8 minutes ago, Varry007 said:

I really appreciate what ED has done lately (MT) + improvements on the FM of the apache; but i just wished they could solve this 😩

Have you tried the latest OpenBeta? Or are you on Stable?

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, can confirm as well! George has found his passion for the gun!👍

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

• 4 weeks later...

So I haven’t played in a while, but I’m still running into this same issue. I was playing SP, George as CPG, and had him WAS the AWS. I had him target a trooper. Initially he was set to consent (yellow), but I was facing the target, TAD showed no obstructions, and I was stationary or barely any forward movement. He after giving permish to fire, he would fire the burst. However, target isn’t down, so I tell him to fire again. He does NOTHING. Flight conditions didn’t change, so he should be able to, but he doesn’t. I then change to fire at will (green), still won’t engage. After frustration ensues, I then turn the nose away from the target, then he pulls the trigger. WTH. Any ideas?

Forgot: using MT version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer