George CPG and gun

Ian Boys UK

I'm finding George can no longer use the gun at all. He reports it WAS'ed but cannot use it. I think he gets no range as he also always reports laser off when you WAS the gun.

He also misses moving targets too much. Given that there's a contrast tracker in the bird, he should be able to hit.

• Like 5

• ED Team

Please let me know if you are switching seats and changing NVS switch, there is another report the team are checking now that is creating issues for George AI menu. 

If you dont switch seats and touch NVS switch it behaves better.  

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please let me know if you are switching seats and changing NVS switch, there is another report the team are checking now that is creating issues for George AI menu. 

If you dont switch seats and touch NVS switch it behaves better.  

Here is a full track file (very short). No seats are switched and no NVS used. Apache approaches supply column, kills 2x air defence with hellfire then switches to gun to kill trucks. George says "enagaging" many times from 1800m to 200m range and never fires.

George and Gun.trk

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Ian Boys UK said:

Here is a full track file (very short). No seats are switched and no NVS used. Apache approaches supply column, kills 2x air defence with hellfire then switches to gun to kill trucks. George says "enagaging" many times from 1800m to 200m range and never fires.

He is engaging when I take control, however if he isnt happy he wont fire. 

I will ask the team about this, please try this, in the George AI menu use up long to set free fire ( green ) George will engage once you have selected the target and he is happy.  You may find it more successful. 

1 hour ago, Ian Boys UK said:

Re the missing moving targets, I can't reproduce it offline so far. The server where I can hit online is ping 170 to me ... I wonder if that is enough to cause the misses?

Not sure, 170 isnt a bad ping, it just depends how much desync there is. I will watch for it and ask the team to also. 

thanks

• Like 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Just now, Ian Boys UK said:

I think one of the issues is that he says he is engaging many times. It would be more useful if he said why not?

I agree and will ask the team

• Like 1

My feeling (not sure) is that the initial lock is out of gun range and that's why he never fires even though I take it down to point blank and dead centre with no AZ or EL issues. He doesn't overcome the issue when we get within range.

That would explain why he then fires if you take over and lock a tgt when closer.

• Like 1

Yeah same thing is happening to me in MP (I only play MP) George acquires the target but he will not fire, he does not range with the laser and the one time I managed to make him fire was holding the fire command button but I had to keep holding it and it was very erratic rate of fire also the gun was glitching moving back and forward from stowed position to aiming at the target, all the other weapons seem to be working normally is just the gun giving me that problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DOG said:

Yeah same thing is happening to me in MP (I only play MP) George acquires the target but he will not fire, he does not range with the laser and the one time I managed to make him fire was holding the fire command button but I had to keep holding it and it was very erratic rate of fire also the gun was glitching moving back and forward from stowed position to aiming at the target, all the other weapons seem to be working normally is just the gun giving me that problem.

I had the same issue. When in free fire mode, George would more or less single fire the gun at wildly different angles. I know tacview recordings aren't the most accurate, but this one shows what was happening.

https://i.imgur.com/i8eNN28.gifv

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 7:50 AM, DOG said:

Exactly the same issue as myself.   Good explanation 👍

ok I think i got a work around (kind of) when I have a target selected and George has the gun WASed what I do is  WAS. the gun myself and right after that I command George to fire I keep repeating gun WAS ---George fire---  gun WAS--- George fire and he kind of fires  but is very toilsome.

Edited by DOG
  • Thanks 2

On 8/5/2022 at 9:35 AM, DOG said:

ok I think i got a work around (kind of) when I have a target selected and George has the gun WASed what I do is  WAS. the gun myself and right after that I command George to fire I keep repeating gun WAS ---George fire---  gun WAS--- George fire and he kind of fires  but is very toilsome.

Bugger....looked like a very quick fix but didn't work on my end. Thanks for the letting everyone know mate.

Such a waste to use a Hellfire on a single grunt 😛 Looking forward to the gun working again with George.

2 hours ago, Rainman01 said:

Bugger....looked like a very quick fix but didn't work on my end. Thanks for the letting everyone know mate.

Such a waste to use a Hellfire on a single grunt 😛 Looking forward to the gun working again with George.

you have to press it a lot tap 1 then the other is really annoying IMO

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, BIGNEWY said:

He is engaging when I take control, however if he isnt happy he wont fire. 

I will ask the team about this, please try this, in the George AI menu use up long to set free fire ( green ) George will engage once you have selected the target and he is happy.  You may find it more successful. 

Not sure, 170 isnt a bad ping, it just depends how much desync there is. I will watch for it and ask the team to also. 

thanks

So, I was having this problem too, and tried find out what's going on. 

@BIGNEWY said: George must be happy.

Then I want and tried to find out what makes George tick. What makes him happy.

After some testing, my results:

1. Speed: From 70 to 110, he seems to always engage. Sometimes even above it.

2. Altitude. He seems very (trigger) happy above 300 ft. Then, there is an important note I want to make: George likes to shoot at things below the helicopter, way below. I was trying out at the Syrian Range Mission on Instant Action. In that range, if you come low, he won't fire because either the gun traverse up limits are reached or he does not see the target. He needs to have a clear Line Of Sight to shoot at things.

So, in order to have some rule of thumb I could use, I do attack runs at 500 ft AGL on average, so he sees the target and engage. On The Syrian range, which is on a hill, you need to come even higher, so he can see and shoot.

3. Range: from 1,000 meters to 3,000 meters seems to work fine. Below 1,000 is hit and miss. He sometimes does engage, sometimes doesn't.

4. Mode of operation. Free Fire or Consent to Fire works the same, since you follow some practical rules. See below.

5. Attitude. I believe it is the most important parameter of them all. From what I've tested, you need to give him a very stable platform from where he can shoot. 

- You need to select targets way earlier.

- You need to be at straight and level flight.

- You need to be trimmed.

If you give him the command to fire and you are wobbling around or maneuvering, or decides to engage a target that is too close and you turn to it or from it, he won't engage.

The attack runs I've tested were straight and level, trimmed, 300 feet above, stable. He is happy, he engages.

It would be good if someone else tests it to see if what I found out makes sense and can be repeated.

• Like 2

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

• ED Team

I have been testing today in our internal version for the next patch, it seems improved for me, the team are still tweaking so consider it W.I.P for now during early access. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After August 24th's open beta patch, this bug still exists. When AI WAS Gun from Hellfire, AI stopped lasing and the range on TADS changed to 9999, and this range made George unhappy to fire the gun. This bug seems only exists in MP.

• Like 1

Gun basically hasn't worked correctly for the last two monthly patches.

In the last patch the firing would be glitchy, like the burst rate wasn't being considered. and it was fire, interrupt, fire, interrupt....

I can't get George to engage in any mode with the gun (FF or commanded), work in progress, sure I get it. But, it's clearly broken.... 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to have George engage troops as CP/G, after friday's patch.

It seems he still has a hard time to actually engage. I noticed some things though, that may be helpful to find the cause of the issue.

1. When you command a search and he detects enemy troops (infantry), you have him "lock" a guy, he says "Lased & stored". Actually he has the target in the cross hair, but is not lasing it (did that before some patches ago) and you get no ranging information on the TADS.
  2. If you command him to switch to Hellfire he lases and the distance is maybe 2,000 m, have him switch back to gun and he stops lasing.
  3. If you command "Engage" he says "Firing", but actually won't. Neither would he lases to range the distance. Even if ROE set to Free Fire (George Interface green) he won't engage with the TADS and laser ranging.
  4. It seems(!), as if he actually starts shooting only if a) you are in Free Fire and b) you are closer than the range set in manual ranging or closer, of cause you need to check for constraints.
  5. When he finally fires, it isn't the set burst, but a couple sputtering, sporadic shurt bursts.

Last week (before the last patch) we had a TacView, where it looked like George (after finally engaging a couple insurgents in a treeline) distributing his shots between the original locked target and the "fixed" waterline position straight ahead. This maybe just a glitch with TacView, but it could be a hint to George shifting between target and look ahead position?

As this worked pretty well at Early Access release, there's definitely something going wrong currently.

Hope this can help to figure it out. I'll try to get a short track, but this seems pretty consistent.

Added: TacView Screenshot

unknown.png

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 4

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

i think the gun together with george broke with the LMC update wich added the motion compensation, the gun just isnt realy useable with george atm and it probly wont be till they state a fix for it in a patchnote, you can get him to fire a bit with having him on free fire but... just dont bother with it atm

• Like 2