[SOUTH EAST ASIA] VIETNAM MAP 1200km x 600km, It's time to get this started.

SOLIDKREATE

On 9/1/2022 at 8:03 AM, SkateZilla said:

6rvyjw.jpg

Heh!  

Well Skate, let's take inventory for a sec:  

A couple years ago, in two different interviews, ED people told us that there was no Phantom being done, Cobra was on indefinite hold, Century series fighters were not going to be their focus... and that a Vietnam map would not... I don't remember the exact wording, but it seemed that this map in particular was not gonna happen, along with a Taiwan map not happening. 

Since then, several new Cold War modules have been announced, the Phantom is well into development, a Cobra module "might probably" happen, Century series and other Cold War planes are being announced, and now an ED spokesperson publicly says that a Vietnam map will likely be made in future!   To my ears that's great news, even if we might have to wait a while, because up to now it wasn't clear ED even wanted to be in the business of "maps of 'Nam"! 

Another thing I'm noticing, is that there seems to be an accelerating interest in DCS / ED products in general, and more dev teams jumping on the bandwagon... this suggests that as more modules come out, more "improbable module subjects" may get greenlit and eventually make their way to the ED store! 

So, ok, it's not likely we'll be flying over rice paddies and jungles next month... but someone will start development of such a map "in future", and by the time it's ready for us, then we should have quite a fleet of aircraft to enjoy with!  

(I'm not sure the reasons why ED seemed cold to a 'Nam map, but it might have been more the nature of that conflict seeing not very much air to air combat, a tiny very limited air force facing off against an absolutely MASSIVE fleet of superjets. It could also be the CAS with liquid fire was not a good look, certainly there was a lot of not only opposition to the war at the time, but a lot more people wondering and questioning things. Another factor was that a few years ago, a lot of dev and customer attention was focused on the modern flying computers with high tech ordnance. But now more people are looking at the Cold War era, be it older Mirage jets, Israel centric maps, Phantoms Intruders Huns Daggers and such)

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 1

One more item:  just a couple years ago there was NO hope for aircraft with more than 2 engines, that was the limit, hard stop. And I think at that time ED wasn't interested in any aircraft with more than 2.  Yet just last week we learned that the Lockheed C-130J Hercules will be made into a full module... meaning many things, but in particular that 4 engined aircraft are supported fully by ED, and that unarmed non-fighters are also being greenlit for DCS. 

This opens the door for other possible aircraft, like strategic bombers from the B-29 and TU-4, to the Bear, to the Flying, Super and Strato Forts by Boeing, and maybe a Backfire or Bone. We might eventually see large KC aircraft,  that can provide on station fuel but also significant cargo, or even fast ultra-long range flights for casualties, such as the KC-135 and KC-10. Now.., it might not sound too exciting, but I'll bet that SOME people would love to provide air to air refueling for a Vietnam map, supporting runs going up north!

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2022 at 9:11 PM, SOLIDKREATE said:

OV-10A Broco updated in description. Reason for Vietnam juts got even more relevant IMO.

Agreed!

One thing a Bronco will do, is let DCS players get low and slow to see the details, enjoy the scenery while bein shot at,  without having  to learn to fly rotorbirds!!

I can't help but think that a Sandy, the A-1 Skyraider, will likely also get chosen by  some dev, whether it'll be freeware mod or a payware full fidellity is the  real question... but Bronco's  and Skyraiders were almost unique to the 'Nam conflict and offer something different from the "fast air" crowd that we know is inbound.

For those who want to do some research, there was a whole mini-fleet of "gunship" aircraft, ones that were individually modified for this war... I heard one featured 10 miniguns pointed straight downward. Others included "Boxcar" gunships, Spooky the orbiting AC-47 with three side firing mini's. Though from a different fleet, a few CH-47 Chinooks were turned into gunships with .50cals, 2.75in and even some 20mm on pylons, and I  think a couple of M2 Brownings on pintle mounts too. Then there was the Bronco D with night observation gear... think of it as being a little like using a Reaper drone, but with a 20mm Gatling!

And then there was this very unique and odd spyplane, no ordnance or weapons, but worth learning about!! :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_YO-3_Quiet_Star

https://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/lockheed-yo-3a

• Like 2

Yeah Sandy is a must, I think we only flew them for a couple years before giving them to the South Vietnam Air Force (VNAF). I'd like the A-1H so we can use the toilet bomb.

Source: https://vietnamwar.fandom.com/wiki/Douglas_A-1_Skyraider#Operational_history

A-1H_VA-25_CVA-41bomb.webp

1 hour ago, Rick50 said:

We have a YO-3 here in WA. I live 45min away. I'd love to do some CIA snooping missions at night. And  if they really do get 4X engines in here I'd like to work my old station in the P-3C Orion, SS3 (EWO).

Edited by SOLIDKREATE
  • Like 1

Are you talking about the museum at Boeing field ?  I visited that one a very long time ago, late 90's maybe?  I  see a lot has changed, many more interesting aircraft,  but it was already a great musuem even back then... I remember they had an A-12 mothership and D-21 drone, an  Apollo moon car, a Soviet or Russian space suit, and countless other cool planes.  My brother, uncle and I drove down from Vancouver BC for the day, and we also visited the Everett Boeing assembly building... weird to be in a room and suddenly  realise the two tiny planes in the corner... were 747-400's !!!

I'm out in Calgary these days, and a few years ago my  brother and I got to climb inside a Avro Lancaster for a modest donation... around the region there are Hornets, Sabrejets, Starfighters, Vampires, Voodoos, Twin Otters and even a Bristol 170 car carrier!!

Just reminded myself to get back on topic, and just flashed to around 1994 when I visited a Vietnam war museum in Hawaii...  I remember they had a Cobra on display outside 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick50 said:

Are you talking about the museum at Boeing field ? 

I've been there too! Were greeted by a Buff in a fast low pass. Oooo! That sound. 

My mom's uncle (RIP) worked for Boeing, (dev on the 747 autopilot or something), had to take tranquillisers whenever he flew. 😆

Gave me a nice model kit of the MiG-21 back in the 70s.

No question a vietnam map is overdue considering the repertoire of current and future modules. However, isnt Vietnam primarily thick jungle? id think it’d be a challenge from a map makers perspective to make an ample sized vietnam map, with all the foliage, perform well enough in the dcs environment. Im sure we all can just move the tree slider to the left but then it wouldn’t be vietnam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

5 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Anyone else thinks that ED will announce it later this year at the same time they announce a spherical/globe model of the Earth? 🤔 

Six months ago I'd have said "not anytime soon, not this year of 2022"...   but after all the recent announcements...aircraft of that era, and several new maps... and ESPECIALLY today's Skyraider official video, and Nineline's tweet about an eventual 'Nam map, I'm starting to think you could be right: that an announcement might come by Christmas this year after all! Not a release, but a project announcement,  yea, that could happen

I've no idea of the "globe project" status, the last I'd  heard was that they wanted to do it, a few early tests were done to see how it might work, but that they didn't really know how long or how much effort might be needed,  or if it were actually possible. But that was a while ago, and since then they might have done some much more in depth tests, maybe partnering with other companies and  orgs, to bring us a globe!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocSigma said:

No question a vietnam map is overdue considering the repertoire of current and future modules. However, isnt Vietnam primarily thick jungle? id think it’d be a challenge from a map makers perspective to make an ample sized vietnam map, with all the foliage, perform well enough in the dcs environment. Im sure we all can just move the tree slider to the left but then it wouldn’t be vietnam.

If you look in other threads on the topic of Vietnam modules, and in the earlier pages of this very thread, you'll  see that this IS a topic of debate. Many think it's just a matter of making it. And they may be right.

Myself and a few others seem to think the jungle foliage and general object count could present a serious challenge for the devs. I do think  it's definitely doable, but I'm not sure if it'll require  MUCH stronger hardware to crunch it many years in the future, or if an innovative 3d modeller/artist might figure out a way to get the right look, the right amount of objects and foliage, without it all burdening the CPU GPU's ... using a programmers' skills and cunning to cheat the hardware and give us what we want on our affordable computers!

• Like 1