ATC not responding to "request takeoff"

Nereid

Well, maybe this is terrain related (Syria map in this case), maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe this is a bug.

I'm taxiing to the correct runway and hold before the holding position line. Then I'm asking for takeoff and I do not get any response from ATC. .  If I'm ON the RWY and asking for permission, it works. At some point on the RWY ATC often tells me instantly without asking them they cannot give me takeoff clearance or they give me a direct clearance for takeoff.

This happens on some maps and some airfields/airports but not for all. On some it works like a charm. Stopping on the  holding position line, asking for takeoff and go.

This time it happens on the Syria map, Beirut Rafic Hariri airport, RWY 17. Radio is correctly set, I got permissions to startup and taxi.

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

Thanks. It seems it is still broken. But for some airports it works, so I thought it was already fixed.

• Like 1

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

5 hours ago, Nereid said:

Thanks. It seems it is still broken. But for some airports it works, so I thought it was already fixed.

It seems I have most issues at airports with "multi directional runways", like Ramat David etc. I have also issues (I use VAICOM), to ask for permission to taxi to runway on a lot of airports, depending on where on that airport I am. So I don't get directed to one. Even if I am parked. 

Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers for the new ATC. 😊 

This happens regular on any map.... I think it is an issue with queuing priorities, ie: If you request an action from the ATC while it is busy then your task simply gets ignored or not recognised at all, and this can happen regular throughout any session on any map... multiplayer is even worse for it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NineLine said:

Can someone share a track please? Thanks.

I will do this today as soon as time allows.

16 hours ago, Hawk_UK said:

This happens regular on any map.... I think it is an issue with queuing priorities,

In my scenario I was the only plane on the whole map in singleplayer.

• Like 2

Here are two tracks. One from Beirut Rafic Hariri airport, RWY 17 with several requests and one from Ramat David.

For Rafic Hariri airport timestamps are as follows:

17:00:11 : Request for startup (answered)

17:01:14: Request for taxi (answered)

17:03:14: Request for T/O, before holding line (NOT answered); repeated one time, again with no answer

After this I was aproaching the RWY step by step and repeating the request until I got an answer.

Version: OpenBeta 2.7.16.28157

Syria - Beirut-Rafic Hariri - RWY-17-no-takeoff-permission.trk Syria - Ramat David - RWY-33-no-takeoff-permission.trk

2 hours ago, dark_wood said:

Try to move the plane forward a few meters - if you contact ATC at the very end of the runway it may not respond.

Unfortunately you have to enter the runway quite a bit.

Edited by Nereid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dark_wood said:

Try to move the plane forward a few meters - if you contact ATC at the very end of the runway it may not respond.

If you advance enough, the ATC will call you without using F10 comm menu.

Hope it helps

That is true. But shouldn't ATC give us clearance before we enter the runway? 

Oh, and I think the red runway sign on Ramat David at the start of runway 33 is wrong. The runway goes to the right but the sign shows "33-15". Shouldn't it be "15-33"?

50 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

That is true. But shouldn't ATC give us clearance before we enter the runway?

In DCS no, only when you are on runway, at least from my experience 🙂

27 minutes ago, Nereid said:

Oh, and I think the red runway sign on Ramat David at the start of runway 33 is wrong. The runway goes to the right but the sign shows "33-15". Shouldn't it be "15-33"?

If you think is a bug, please report it in a separately thread, with a track attached, so devs can reproduce it 🙂

15 minutes ago, dark_wood said:

At some airports it works if you hold before the runway. Sometimes even before the holding line.

Edited by Nereid
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dark_wood said:

🙂

That's why I wrote "shouldn't". 😄

Anyway, I see different behaviour on different maps/airfields. It's probably the "zones" that are incorrect. 😊 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I updated to latest OB yesterday, and noticed that now ATC does not provide permission to Taxi, it only gives clearance to Start. I noticed this issue on a mission that I've been editing for the last few days, for the Nevada Map. I tested on Caucasus and the bug is still present. I'm attaching a track showing the issue.

Hope it can be fixed soon, as the Taxi clearance informs the player which runway to use, which was an important item for my mission.

If I taxi my aircraft anyway, without ATC clearance, then I do receive the message giving taxi permission, but the prior procedure was to ask before starting to taxi.

Edit: Forgot to indicate that I'm running DCS with no users mods active, nor I'm using VAICOM. However, I do use DCS-BIOS and Tacview.

AJS37 - ATC does not allow asking for Taxi.trk

Edited by Rudel_chw
Added details on my DCS environment.
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I updated to latest OB yesterday, and noticed that now ATC does not provide permission to Taxi, it only gives clearance to Start.

I've noticed the same, but attributed it to the fact that I started hot. Does it also affect cold starts?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cfrag said:

I've noticed the same, but attributed it to the fact that I started hot. Does it also affect cold starts?

I'm starting hot, but the prior DCS behaviour was that it didn´t detect if the aircraft was cold or hot, it required asking for start clearance on both cases, and only then one could ask for taxi permission.

36 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Could this be related?

I don't think so, I can hear ATC perfectly, my problem is that the ATC comm menu is not showing the "ask for taxi" menu option.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

I don't think so, I can hear ATC perfectly, my problem is that the ATC comm menu is not showing the "ask for taxi" menu option.
I misread. Seems there are some ATC issues in various threads. Will check with VAICOM later to see if there is any difference.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I'm starting hot, but the prior DCS behaviour was that it didn´t detect if the aircraft was cold or hot, it required asking for start clearance on both cases, and only then one could ask for taxi permission

Confirmed that once I'm starting hot, I can't progress past 'startup permission'. I'll see what happens if I start cold ask permission, start up, then ask permission.

then I'll try what happens if I start cold, start up, and only then talk to tower/tarmac

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cfrag said:

Confirmed: even after a cold-start I can't progress past 'request startup' (Using A-10A)

Thanks for confirming that this is not related to the Viggen. I noticed the bug right away after updating DCS yesterday, because I was working on a training mission that attempted to properly use the DCS ATC before taxi-takeoff ... now it clashes with this bug right after starting, like this:

2 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks for confirming that this is not related to the Viggen.

🙂 it drove me nuts while I was testing some marianas proving grounds mission. The bug isn't new with this release, it has been there for at least 2 weeks, but I thought that it was just me screwing up the radio coms or marianas (there was also some wierness with green boxes around spome cargo planes, but that was officially removed with the last drop)