How to set QFE? Is this correct?

Rhinozherous

I found a formula to calculate QFE - target alt is 3760, QNH is 1013

Millibar and Feet!

Tgt Elev ÷ 30 = QFE 

QNH - QFE = Tgt QFE (to set on altimeter)

So in my example QFE is 888

I set this in the mirage altimeter (the scrolling takes forever). Is this correct?

Thanks

Edited by Rhinozherous

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

• Rhinozherous changed the title to How to set QFE? Is this correct?

If I understand correctly, the altimeter in the F1 is not there to set the target altitude (as it is in the Viggen, for example). There is no targeting computer that needs this information. Instead, you calculate it yourself.
The setting range of the altimeter is also not nearly large enough to be able to set all possible target altitudes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, felixx75 said:

If I understand correctly, the altimeter in the F1 is not there to set the target altitude (as it is in the Viggen, for example). There is no targeting computer that needs this information. Instead, you calculate it yourself.
The setting range of the altimeter is also not nearly large enough to be able to set all possible target altitudes.

Do you have  a link or something to a solution how to calculate this? 

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

6 hours ago, felixx75 said:

It is in fact used to set target altitude when performing bombing runs. You need to know the correct release altitude in a CCIP attack. This requires you to adjust your primary altimeter for the attack and rely on your standby for ASL.

Edited by bones1014

42 minutes ago, bones1014 said:

It is in fact used to set target altitude when performing bombing runs. You need to know the correct release altitude in a CCIP attack. This requires you to adjust your primary altimeter for the attack and rely on your standby for ASL.

There is nothing like CCIP or CCRP in the F1, therefore you also have bombs tables incl. depression settings. It is completely analogue. You can set the target QFE to make it easier for you. But as soon as your targets are in greater heights (e.g. mountains), this no longer works because the setting range is too small.

In the picture you can see the lowest setting of the altimeter. This would correspond approximately to a QFE of 2400ft. For example, on the Syria map there are plenty of areas that are higher. According to you, the Mirage would be useless there. Go to the Nevada map, there it would be totally useless. So you can see that your argument is not really conclusive.

Screen_220819_022832.png

Edited by felixx75
  • Like 2

"It is in fact used to set target altitude when performing bombing runs. You need to know the correct release altitude in a CCIP attack. This requires you to adjust your primary altimeter for the attack and rely on your standby for ASL."

With respect this is a fallacy IRL Manual depression line bombing especially out in the live arena. QNH can be determined reasonably accurately. You have target altitude you simply apply that to your planned release height and bomb on QNH. Dicking around with QNH to QFE is hazardous to your health.

As to CCIP its very nature means other than fuse arming and frag clearance its not strictly a weapons solution requirement ... but anyway same principal applies just apply your target altitude and adjust your Release/Roll in altitudes etc.

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 6

On 8/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, felixx75 said:

There is nothing like CCIP or CCRP in the F1, therefore you also have bombs tables incl. depression settings. It is completely analogue. You can set the target QFE to make it easier for you. But as soon as your targets are in greater heights (e.g. mountains), this no longer works because the setting range is too small.

In the picture you can see the lowest setting of the altimeter. This would correspond approximately to a QFE of 2400ft. For example, on the Syria map there are plenty of areas that are higher. According to you, the Mirage would be useless there. Go to the Nevada map, there it would be totally useless. So you can see that your argument is not really conclusive.

Screen_220819_022832.png

I'm not arguing anything. That's just how it is. You have to set your altimeter to perform as accurate an attack as possible. Do it without and see what happens. 🤷‍♂️

On 8/18/2022 at 7:57 PM, IvanK said:

Dicking around with QNH to QFE is hazardous to your health.

Viggen pilots, "let me sing you the song of my people" 😉

43 minutes ago, bones1014 said:

You have to set your altimeter to perform as accurate an attack as possible.

Then please explain me why. There is simply no computer on this plane that could process this information...
The only one who can "process" this information is the pilot.
If it were as you say, then please explain to me how you would fly a successful attack when the target is at an altitude of, say, 3000ft (you simply can't set a QFE for this altitude).
Saying "that's just how it is" doesn't make it right.

If i drop a weapon with the correct profile (i.e. correct altitude, speed, etc.), it will hit, no matter what QFE is set. The aircraft does not care what it says.
I am flying at 10000ft MSL, my target is at 1500ft MSL. If I have to drop at 1500ft AGL, I drop at indicated 3000ft. This is the same as setting the QFE for my target and then dropping at indicated 1500ft. It makes no difference to the aircraft.

And before I forget --> "Viggen pilots, "let me sing you the song of my people" --> Unlike the F1, the Viggen has a Radar Altimeter AND a Weapon Computer...

Edited by felixx75
  • Like 1

This is quite frustrating, but keep in mind it's still an early access product. the best is ahead 🙂
I'm sure real pilots don't appreciate to tie knots into their brain, and they prefer to keep the easier methods to estimate things. Why it would be different on sim ?

I think there's no difference between setting your altimeter at the target QFE (nearly impossible on high elevation targets because of altimeter limitations), or simply add target elevation with local QNH to know at which altitude you have to press the trigger. Second method is much more easier : my opinion.

Practice a lot, and you will find your own "settings" naturally. 

Happy flying ! 🙂

• Like 2

Riesling | FR

Specs: i7 6700K / 32 Gb RAM / SSD /  GTX 1070 + Oculus Rift S  / Saitek Rudder Pedals / Thrusmaster TWCS + T16000M