[No issue] Tacan & ILS landing

skywalker22

There are currently 2 airports that is theoretically offer instrumental approach and landing. But nothing works!

Here is the track file (it was just over 5MB so had to upload it somewhere).

Edited by skywalker22
PS: Miss understood some kneeboards, instead of checking F-10 map and info about airport and specific runway.

24 minutes ago, Minsky said:

Mount Pleasant doesn't have ILS on runway 10 that you've picked.

OP was landing on RWY 05 - as you say, it doesn't have ILS, hence the VOR/DME chart.

Screen_220818_234027.jpg

Not sure why the OP set the ILS course to 102°M, perhaps I'm missing something ?

• Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

44 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

Not sure why the OP set the ILS course to 102°M, perhaps I'm missing something ?

Like I said, I didn't watch the track very closely, and for some reason I had a map displayed instead of charts. Just saw him dialing in "102" and assumed runway 10.

Screenshot - Fri 19 Aug 22 , 02_36_34.jpg

Edited by Minsky
  • Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

6 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

There are currently 2 airports that is theoretically offer instrumental approach and landing. But nothing works!

There are 5 airports on the South Atlantic map that have runways equipped with ILS

✔️ Mount Pleasant RWY 28 (280°M / 284°T), ILS 111.90 MHz
❌ Rio Gallegos RWY 25 (246°M / 256°T), ILS 110.30 MHz (Loc Good / GS High then Low (not proportional ?))
✔️ Rio Grande RWY 26 (249°M / 259°T), ILS 109.50 MHz
✔️ Punta Arenas RWY 25 (246°M / 258°T), ILS 109.90 MHz (not shown on F10 map "Airport Info" as that lists RWY 30/12)
✔️ Ushuaia RWY 25 (245°M / 257°T), ILS 111.30 MHz

Testing using the F-16C and zero wind, all 5 ILS's were transmitting with only the Rio Gallegos's RWY 25 "Glide Slope" seeming to have issues ?

Re: TACAN beacons

3x Airports lack TACAN beacons
• Rio Gallegos
• Punta Arenas
• Ushuaia
... but the Portable TACAN Beacon (found in the ME under "Fortification>Beacon TACAN Portable TTS 3030") can be added as desired (Channels 10X, 20X and 30X were tested)

DCS Open Beta 2.7.16.28157

Edited by Ramsay
  • Thanks 2

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

8 hours ago, Minsky said:

I didn't watch the track very closely, but Mount Pleasant doesn't have ILS on runway 10 that you've picked.

Next time use runway 28.

Damn, I miss understood this kneeboard. I thought that ILS is for both sides of runways. Tried ones again, and it works fine. Thx guys.

image.png

• Thanks 1

• skywalker22 changed the title to [No issue] Tacan & ILS landing
29 minutes ago, Minsky said:

Fair enough. I'll add arrows in the next update.

Screenshot - Fri 19 Aug 22 , 10_51_09.png

This is you who did those kneeboards?

48 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

One more thing, anyone knows what's the distance ILS should work, so we can see it working on EHSI (electronic HSI)? Seems to me the "needles" only starts pointing towards final destination in last 20-25nm. 

This is where ILS works, else you get that red symbol inside the HSI.

image.png

54 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

One more thing, anyone knows what's the distance ILS should work, so we can see it working on EHSI (electronic HSI)? Seems to me the "needles" only starts pointing towards final destination in last 20-25nm. 

Hi.

In real life, ILS radio waves can be caught by aircrafts at 25nm in 10 degrees from the centerline, at 17nm in 35 degrees from the centerline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules: A-10C/II, F-5E, F-14A/B, F-15E, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, FC3, Ka-50-2/3, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, Mi-24P, AH-64D, P-51D
Maps: Nevada, PG, Syria, SA, Sinai, Channel, Normandy2.0      Assets etc.: CA, Sc, WW2AP
Mods and Skins in User Files: files/filter/user-is-western0221/ 

Screen_221018_005618c.jpg

On 8/19/2022 at 5:18 PM, Frederf said:

Those are legal minimum service areas. It doesn't only work there but must work in at least those areas. In reality signals are usually received valid well beyond those limits.

I was just going to post this.

These limits are SERVICE VOLUMES where accurate reception is GUARANTEED, but it says nothing of the absolute ranges they can be received at.

If the simulation is half-way reasonable, it will at least compute the radio horizon, meaning if you're reasonably aligned with the ILS and at a suitable altitude, you can receive it.

At the freqencies they operate on, you can expect to receive a typical VOR or LOC signal out to about 200 NM before it becomes too weak to receive (terrain and other ground features permitting).

Glideslope is directional, as are localizer signals, so there will be an area where you can receive them, and a much larger area where you can not.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."