Sas saturation

normanleto
Go to solution Solved by NeedzWD40,

I fly rather okay, but since about a week I have annoying sound of SAS SATURATION message too often to stand the game. It appears very often except perhaps straight flying. Even small adjustment of throttle causes it. Tried to turn off various channels in A/C utils page, but to no avail. I see a green bar of throttle input slowly creeping up or down the limits (on the controls preview). I have deadzones set to about 3 in each axis. Stick is saitek X56. Anyone else has this problem? It is very annoying during the hover attempts or during the combat. No way to turn the sound off. Perhaps there is a way to change a sound file to avoid hearing it every several seconds?

• Like 4

...10 years with dcs...

I did yesterday a Flight after installing the latest OB Patch and got quite often SAS saturation sound ( but no according message displaying in UEFD) with hold modes off, quite more often than in hold modes on.

While hold modes on, SAS saturation sound comes on with according message display in UEFD.

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

I have the same issue without much inputs since latest OB. Almost every light turn the sound goes on loud and message “sas saturated” pops up. Rudder and stick are almost centered, so no big inputs or trim sets. No need for “track file” just startup and fly. 

Is there a way to set the sound off? Quite annoying and unplayable like this. 

Edited by Silvester.E
  • Like 1

Perhaps it should go to BIGNEWY to raise their knowledge? It brings a bad vibes for apache module, even if its beta. We will just all stop flying due to one idiotic warning. Ive asked before - modders, can we replace a sound file, for example?

• Like 2

...10 years with dcs...

Its the Altidute Hold that is still broken.

Even with SAS "Coll" Chanel  switched OFF , somewhere in the backround  is a Altitude Hold mode working .

Iff you let the "Coll" Chanel switched on, you can see in the Controll window (Alt + Enter) that it tries to hold a specific Altitude, even  Altitude-Hold mode is OFF. It also dont care about the 10 % authority limit. 

see this link:

Edited by Schlomo1933
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Silvester.E said:

I have the same issue without much inputs since latest OB. Almost every light turn the sound goes on loud and message “sas saturated” pops up. Rudder and stick are almost centered, so no big inputs or trim sets. No need for “track file” just startup and fly. 

Is there a way to set the sound off? Quite annoying and unplayable like this. 

1 hour ago, Silvester.E said:

Would already be happy if they acknowledge the issue. I mean, it seems obvious but maybe i am doing something wrong. Doesn’t look like normal behavior and started after updating this morning. 

Same here. Module is non-playable since yesterday, the first release was more complete than the current one. We just have to go back to our previous betas, F-16 in my case 🙂

...10 years with dcs...

• ED Team

These issues have been acknowledged in previous threads, and unfortunately I cannot provide any details as to when they will be resolved. I have brought up the issue of the long Saturation tone to the team in particular as that can obviously interfere with other audio happening during the mission, whether it be radios or RWR alerts.

This is among a number of behaviors that is already being worked on by the dev team regarding the flight model. Since it all intertwines with one another (flight controls, Flight Management Computer, the rotor aerodynamics) this is a very complex task that the team has been working on for some time.

As a DCS player myself, I eagerly anticipate these fixes right along with you. However, we need to be patient, as hard as that can be sometimes. 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Yes, thanks for the info!

hopefully the Dev‘s get solved it soon….

• Like 2

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Silvester.E said:

“sas saturation” tone constantly

I play DCS often. So if something bothers you, it's probably bothering others, including me and other members of ED. If it matters to you, it matters to us as well.

But I also see how much work the devs put into the product every day, and it really drives home the phrase of "battle of priorities vs time/resources". As such, I've gained an appreciation of priorities. We'll get there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

After DCS 2.7.17.29140 Open Beta I too experienced some weird behavior in the Apache:

• More "SAS Saturation" warnings than I am used to
  • After activating ATT HOLD it keeps deactivating/activating by itself (box around speed indicator in IHADSS disappears/appears every now and then)
  • Strange drift to the right when trying to come to a hover position
  • At one point I could perfectly auto hover with hands off without engaging any HOLD mode

These were some observations I made before I found this thread.

After reading this thread it seems likely that the HOLD modes keep being activated (after first use?) even if the pilot has deactivated them.

The right drift is normal. Translating tendency is the tendency of a single rotor helicopter to drift in the direction of tail rotor thrust. For the Apache, this is to the right. You should always have to apply left cyclic to counteract it in a zero ground speed hover. The normal hover attitude of the helicopter is 3 degrees left side low and 5 degrees nose up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone else finding the attitude hold mode now very unreliable? It seems to either accel or decel the aircraft and can be clearly seen with the green cross deviating greatly from the red X trimmed position.

I found the attitude hold mode worked great before the patch 😭 I guess we'll see how things go next update. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 4:23 AM, Raptor9 said:

These issues have been acknowledged in previous threads, and unfortunately I cannot provide any details as to when they will be resolved. I have brought up the issue of the long Saturation tone to the team in particular as that can obviously interfere with other audio happening during the mission, whether it be radios or RWR alerts.

This is among a number of behaviors that is already being worked on by the dev team regarding the flight model. Since it all intertwines with one another (flight controls, Flight Management Computer, the rotor aerodynamics) this is a very complex task that the team has been working on for some time.

As a DCS player myself, I eagerly anticipate these fixes right along with you. However, we need to be patient, as hard as that can be sometimes. 🙂

Perhaps a volume slider for cockpit warning sounds as well? The SAS saturation and AP mode off tones, as well as certain tones in other modules (radar altimeter, etc.), are ear-splittingly loud without any in-cockpit knobs for adjustment nor independent volume sliders that don't affect other game volume settings. That way we can at least turn the thing down until it gets fixed, and continue after for those who find it too loud.

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

Perhaps a volume slider for cockpit warning sounds as well? The SAS saturation and AP mode off tones, as well as certain tones in other modules (radar altimeter, etc.), are ear-splittingly loud without any in-cockpit knobs for adjustment nor independent volume sliders that don't affect other game volume settings. That way we can at least turn the thing down until it gets fixed, and continue after for those who find it too loud.

Personally, if I were ED right now I'd either remove the SAS saturation tone, or at least tell the user base which of the encrypted sound files it is so we can delete it! I've just flown a fairly uncomplicated gunnery range pattern and had (from counting on my screen recording) an average of one saturation tone every 18 seconds for a solid 5 minutes. It's beyond annoying at this points. I don't understand why the warning tone for a system that isn't finished has been implemented before the logic that correctly drives it. It's a few-lines-of-code job to temporarily remove it until the SAS is sorted out, and then an equally simple edit to put it back.

• Like 7

Hello,

Just go to DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AH-64D\Cockpit\Scripts\Computers\CIU\device

edit CIU_Messages.lua

and comment the line in yellow (put -- in front of it) => no more continuous SAS tone for me !

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

1 hour ago, lefuneste01 said:

edit CIU_Messages.lua

and comment the line in yellow (put -- in front of it) => no more continuous SAS tone for me !

Thank you. This works. Turns down the dial a bit - from "impossibly annoying" to "annoying" 🙂

So done a bit more testing with this...

Commenting out the line suggested by lefunete01 above does indeed get rid of the annoying long SAS saturation tone. Interestingly it replaces it with the (as I understand it) correct "short" tone, but only when the SAS is actually saturated, so it only plays in sync with the EUFD messages. All the erroneous warnings are removed. 

HOWEVER... if you only do that edit then every time the autopilot modes are switched off (either attitude or altitude) the master caution tone plays on a continuous loop and can't be cancelled. To fix that you need to comment out the master_caution line (see screenshot). Even more interestingly, when you do so the master caution tone still plays when the master caution light comes on, but no longer loops until cancelled.

null

image.png

Edited by Scaley
  • Like 1

I did try adjusting the durations, but it wasn't behaving predictably. If you set the duration to zero (for example) it plays for the same period, but just in tiny looped clips so you get a slight puled nature to the sound. Commenting out worked much better.

• Like 1