Ability to turn off island flood lights at night

obious

I've noticed that whenever I land/take off from the SC during the day/dusk, my FPS is fine and perfectly fluid. However, at night when the island flood lights come on, it absolutely tanks framerates. I imagine because there are a lot of shadows etc to calculate and render.

Until there's some optimisation that occurs or hardware catches up (or both) can we have an option to turn off the island flood lights at night? It may not be entirely accurate but at least I can fly night ops.

Thanks! 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

4 hours ago, obious said:

I've noticed that whenever I land/take off from the SC during the day/dusk, my FPS is fine and perfectly fluid. However, at night when the island flood lights come on, it absolutely tanks framerates. I imagine because there are a lot of shadows etc to calculate and render.

Until there's some optimisation that occurs or hardware catches up (or both) can we have an option to turn off the island flood lights at night? It may not be entirely accurate but at least I can fly night ops.

Thanks! 

+1. This wouldn't just be good for frames, but also good to be able to simulate 'black outs' which really can/do happen especially in wartime.

12 hours ago, obious said:

Until there's some optimisation that occurs or hardware catches up (or both) can we have an option to turn off the island flood lights at night?

Check the option "secondary shadows: off". It only disables additional shadows but not the lights. I doubt you'll see any fps difference with your hardware though.

Btw, if you can't play with your "Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090" then who can? You sure it's not some relabeled/rebios 1050?

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

5 minutes ago, draconus said:

Check the option "secondary shadows: off". It only disables additional shadows but not the lights. I doubt you'll see any fps difference with your hardware though.

Btw, if you can't play with your "Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090" then who can? You sure it's not some relabeled/rebios 1050?

I’m pretty sure Scan don’t sell fake hardware. The 4090 handles most cases but the island night lighting is something that it just can’t, unless I drop the PD in SteamVR down from 1.5 to 1.1-1.2

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

6 minutes ago, obious said:

I’m pretty sure Scan don’t sell fake hardware.

That was a joke of course but still surprising that a few lights make such a big difference for 4090 and by PD change you also confirm it's not a CPU problem.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

8 minutes ago, draconus said:

That was a joke of course but still surprising that a few lights make such a big difference for 4090 and by PD change you also confirm it's not a CPU problem.

Yea I know, I’m surprised by it as well. Navigating the deck during the day is absolutely no problem but for whatever reason, the floodlights on the island just batter FPS 

• Like 1

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

On 10/13/2022 at 5:19 PM, Dangerzone said:

+1. This wouldn't just be good for frames, but also good to be able to simulate 'black outs' which really can/do happen especially in wartime.

IRT wartime, who said this? IRL if the Island flood lights go out, you can't do night flight ops! It's as important as the Lens. If the Crash crane is INOP, we cannot have flight operations period. Certain things are integral to Flight ops and the Floods are one of them. If a real black out happens onboard the ship, the birds will more than likely go to the beach.

• Thanks 3

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

7 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

IRT wartime, who said this? IRL if the Island flood lights go out, you can't do night flight ops! It's as important as the Lens. If the Crash crane is INOP, we cannot have flight operations period. Certain things are integral to Flight ops and the Floods are one of them. If a real black out happens onboard the ship, the birds will more than likely go to the beach.

My apologies. Please disregard - I was wrong. Thanks for the correction! 👍

• Like 2