What happened to the airshow smoke?!

Brother_Leb
Go to solution Solved by ChariotOfFLAME,

Can you be any more specific about what is not working? Does it just look exactly the same?

I agree with @gulredrel it works for me as well. I have a backup copy of the vanilla smokeTrail.lua so that I can swap back if I have to pass IC for MP servers.

To get the better airshow smoke, I copy and paste the Frecce Tricolori version (well, actually my own tweaked version of their version) to the core directory and let it overwrite the existing one. That has consistently worked for me and my airshow partner (most recent flight was Tuesday evening, US). In fact, I've swapped between the two versions multiple times during a session and had no problems. I know it works because most MP servers I fly require IC and during airshows I can see my partner's full loop with smoke on.

My file path: DCS_World_OpenBeta\Config\Effects\ParticleSystem2\smokeTrail.lua

Now ED just pushed an update TODAY (12/16) so I have no idea if maybe that changed something, but as of Tuesday (12/13) this all worked for me.

One note, the change is client side, so someone else will see the standard lame smoke until they edit their own .lua.

Edited by Brother_Leb

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
Hornet driver, Blue Angel enthusiast, Tomcat stan

13 hours ago, gulredrel said:

Worked for me in single player.

I copied and renamed the original file in my game folder:

E:\games\DCS_World_OpenBeta\Config\Effects\ParticleSystem2\smokeTrail.lua --> E:\games\DCS_World_OpenBeta\Config\Effects\ParticleSystem2\smokeTrail.lua_org

I than edited the original file smokeTrail.lua within the folder with notepad++, which also has the option to compare both file versions, so you don't accidently change other values.

Thanks gulredrel, I rechecked my file placement and now its working greath !

Before and after... it works now !   thanks to the community...

before.jpg

Screen_221216_153619-After.jpg

• Like 2

PopovQc (425 ETACv Alouettes)

Montreal, Québec, Canada

Je parle français et anglais - I speak French & English.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz (8 cpu), Motherboard : ASUS Sabertooth X79, 16GigRam, DX11, Win10, GeForce RTX2070 8GB & Oculus Rift S & HP Reverb :P

• 3 weeks later...

As of today, both builds of DCS Open beta/Stable 2.8.1.34667.2 still have not resolved the issue with the airshow smoke, even in the Stable build.

modifying/breaking Integrity Check is still required to get smoke representative of how it was in 2.7.

Something akin to what is needed to fix this was implemented in less than 12 hours by a community member. Any chance we can get this fixed for the next build?

Edited by ChariotOfFLAME

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 7:06 PM, ChariotOfFLAME said:

As of today, both builds of DCS Open beta/Stable 2.8.1.34667.2 still have not resolved the issue with the airshow smoke, even in the Stable build.

modifying/breaking Integrity Check is still required to get smoke representative of how it was in 2.7.

Something akin to what is needed to fix this was implemented in less than 12 hours by a community member. Any chance we can get this fixed for the next build?

One Two can hope i guess…

Looks like airshow smoke is working better now after the latest Open Beta 2.8.2.35632.  I did not notice anything directly mentioning the fix in the Changelog.

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
typo fixed.
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• Solution
3 hours ago, YSIAD_RIP said:

Looks like airshow smoke is working better now after the latest Open Beta 2.8.2.35632.  I did not notice anything directly mentioned the fix in the Changelog.

I concur: the smoke is much improved! Thank you, ED!!!!

For all those looking to have longer hangtimes for the smoke, the mod above still works, but it breaks IC, so keep that in mind. ED cannot implement that long for smoke for various reasons, but Open Beta 2.8.2.35632 features a significant improvement!

• Like 2