Prop animations in VR

bart

In 2.7 the prop animations introduced in April 2021 looked great, specifically the Mosquito in VR it looked stunning.

Since 2.8 released last week the prop animations look broken in VR. I have an Oculus S and use OTT to turn off ASW as this has a terrible effect on turning props giving a tearing strobe effect that looks bad and hurts the eyes. Now in 2.8 I get a similar effect as if ASW was turned on all the time! I did turn it on briefly just to check if it did make a difference, but as expected it was much worse.

This issue unfortunately seems worse in my beloved Mosquito than some of the other single engine warbirds, especially at lower rpm settings. It just looks horrible, and I can't look at the props for too long without my eyes protesting. I was on the Aerobatics Online server yesterday and another user who was also in VR commented on the same issue when looking at my aircraft on the F2/F3 views.

This issue on top of the broken shadows is a bit of a blow for 2.8 but that's why we have an open beta to test and find this stuff. Anyone else seeing a similar issue?

I hope for a fix for this soon...

Edited by bart
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

In 2.7 the prop animations introduced in April 2021 looked great, specifically the Mosquito in VR it looked stunning.

Since 2.8 released last week the prop animations look broken in VR. I have an Oculus S and use OTT to turn off ASW as this has a terrible effect on turning props giving a tearing strobe effect that looks bad and hurts the eyes. Now in 2.8 I get a similar effect as if ASW was turned on all the time! I did turn it on briefly just to check if it did make a difference, but as expected it was much worse.

This issue unfortunately seems worse in my beloved Mosquito than some of the other single engine warbirds, especially at lower rpm settings. It just looks horrible, and I can't look at the props for too long without my eyes protesting. I was on the Aerobatics Online server yesterday and another user who was also in VR commented on the same issue when looking at my aircraft on the F2/F3 views.

This issue on top of the broken shadows is a bit of a blow for 2.8 but that's why we have an open beta to test and find this stuff. Anyone else seeing a similar issue?

I've also posted this over on the 2.8 Object Bugs forum so hopefully someone see's it and gets the issue raised with the dev's.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

2 hours ago, bart said:

I've also posted this over on the 2.8 Object Bugs forum so hopefully someone see's it and gets the issue raised with the dev's.

I think its ok, but 2.8 is very buggy in VR, see this: 

reason new shadows. 

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Just jumped into the mossie after not going on dcs for a while. Noticed the props appear to have a bit of a flicker to them which is vomit inducing in dcs. Please can this be looked into? 

Also I have said it before, in the real world once up at flight rpm the prop discs aren't that visible. 

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I thought I was going insane when I flew the K-4 yesterday. Something looked just off with the prop animation. I couldn't put my finger on it, but when closing one eye it looked fine. With both eyes open it looked....just weird. Not enough to really kill playability for me, but definitely a "what's up with that?" moment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Would be great if this was looked into and fixed. Again would be nice if the prop effect in general was looked at again because it is more cinema and less real life. 

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

• 5 weeks later...

Back again, just jumped in the Dora after about 2 years and the prop effect on that looks like the mosquito and the helicopter one. It isn't the same image in each eye it seems which makes it horrific to look at. It's worse in this compared to the mosquito since you are looking through the prop to fly.