P51 Turbocharger Blower Activation

JabbyJabara

Hello I recently did a flight in the P51 on Normandy map, standard conditions, fair weather and temperature. When passing by 15000FT the turbocharger blower does not automatically come on. I continued climbing from initial power setting of 42 inches eventually at full throttle and 2700RPM - went past 20000FT still nothing, Went to 25000FT still nothing until I forced it on by holding the spring guard and moving the switch to high.

All previous updates the P51 turbocharger would come on automatically approx 14,500 - as it states in chucks guide and the flight manual that ED provides.

I know you mention ISA conditions (hope you meant that), but auto change altitude indeed changes with the weather, it's not 14500 constant but a pressure and it changes from day to day according to the mission editor setting. I've seen days where it didn't push up until well above 20.000ft. Did you have perhaps the new wind and clouds activated at altitude? Maybe atmospheric pressure isn't constant throughout the map any more? Didn't test myself but it rings bell.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

10 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

I know you mention ISA conditions (hope you meant that), but auto change altitude indeed changes with the weather, it's not 14500 constant but a pressure and it changes from day to day according to the mission editor setting. I've seen days where it didn't push up until well above 20.000ft. Did you have perhaps the new wind and clouds activated at altitude? Maybe atmospheric pressure isn't constant throughout the map any more? Didn't test myself but it rings bell.

This was on a multiplayer map with a cloud preset, ill check it again our squadron admin usually just has the mission file with fair weather cloud for picturesque scenes no dynamic weather or scripted weather.

Maybe ill try setting the altimeter to ISA pressure passing 10000FT.

Its odd - the system has not done this to me before. Even had the ram air, manually adjusting cooling flaps for maximum airspeed.

Yeah, try offline where you set ISA controlled conditions (15ºC, 1013,25mb) and check if it does go up at 14500ft or you see anything out of the normal.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

You could have move switch to low gear, by simple miss click, check this out too. 

There is no way to supercharger high gear won't kick in at 25k, this is a bug or supercharger control unit was forced to stay at low gear.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

15 minutes ago, grafspee said:

You could have move switch to low gear, by simple miss click, check this out too. 

There is no way to supercharger high gear won't kick in at 25k, this is a bug or supercharger control unit was forced to stay at low gear.

I'll feel a bit silly if so but ill also run a file repair

2 hours ago, JabbyJabara said:

I'll feel a bit silly if so but ill also run a file repair

🤣 I don't think so, it's spring loaded IIRC so you'd have had to keep it pushed on purpose for that.

But it might well be mission related, hence my suggestion.

3 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

🤣 I don't think so, it's spring loaded IIRC so you'd have had to keep it pushed on purpose for that.

But it might well be mission related, hence my suggestion.

It is not, auto and low blower positions are not spring loaded, only high blower position is spring loaded. I did it a lot to remain at low blower when i fighting close to switch alt so supercharger gearbox dont switch low to high and vice versa.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yep, probably, it's being a while since I last had to check or use it.

Still, I'd test that on a purposed ISA weather mission before anything else. Then if that's Ok, or not, whatever I might be able to check like different weather conditions and so on.

11 hours ago, grafspee said:

It is not, auto and low blower positions are not spring loaded, only high blower position is spring loaded. I did it a lot to remain at low blower when i fighting close to switch alt so supercharger gearbox dont switch low to high and vice versa.

10 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Yep, probably, it's being a while since I last had to check or use it.

Still, I'd test that on a purposed ISA weather mission before anything else. Then if that's Ok, or not, whatever I might be able to check like different weather conditions and so on.

So I tested it on the same mission again after a slow full file check repair. I tried safety latch closed, half open, set to auto and force the high blower on. It worked fine passing 16000FT with the safety latch and auto set. Mustve been some weird gremlin or something wrong with the aircraft spawn.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2022 at 8:50 PM, JabbyJabara said:

So I tested it on the same mission again after a slow full file check repair. I tried safety latch closed, half open, set to auto and force the high blower on. It worked fine passing 16000FT with the safety latch and auto set. Mustve been some weird gremlin or something wrong with the aircraft spawn.

Just experienced this as well. Turbo didn't kick in until 30k ft in the navigation mission from the challenge campaign. I ended up having to keep the high position pressed to climb that high.

14 minutes ago, PawlaczGMD said:

Just experienced this as well. Turbo didn't kick in until 30k ft in the navigation mission from the challenge campaign. I ended up having to keep the high position pressed to climb that high.

Make sure the switch is actually in the auto position. 

5 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Make sure the switch is actually in the auto position. 

I am much more amazed that he managed to climb to 30k at low blower speed.

Edited by grafspee

8 minutes ago, grafspee said:

I am much more amazed that he managed to climb to 30k at low blower speed.

I will double-check that it was in auto, but the safety cover was down and I didn't touch it before noticing the problems at maybe 20k ft. I'm just starting with flying this thing so it might be my issue for sure.

Well, I only managed to climb to 30k because I mapped the High setting to my HOTAS and kept it pressed in. 

33 minutes ago, PawlaczGMD said:

I will double-check that it was in auto, but the safety cover was down and I didn't touch it before noticing the problems at maybe 20k ft. I'm just starting with flying this thing so it might be my issue for sure.

Well, I only managed to climb to 30k because I mapped the High setting to my HOTAS and kept it pressed in. 

I believe the cover can be down if the switch is in the lower position too. So the cover is no indicator that you are in auto mode. 

It actually works, I must have fiddled with the switch in the intermediate altitude region. It pops back to low, not auto, when you come back from high, and the switch looks like it's down, even though it is low, even with the cover down.

• Like 1