Voice commands

BigBorner

Gero answered that question in an interview before, when the Eurofighter was first announced (can't remember which but I think it was a Grim Reapers one) and iirc it was something along the lines of it'd probably not work that well, but they might integrate it and jokingly added that it would make it more realistic if it doesnt work that well.

But keep in mind this wasnt a confirmation and before the heatblur partnership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mind that DCS, as a Windows program, can use Windows Speech Recognition to actually handle speech. No need for a bespoke solution. VoiceAttack is nothing more than a spiffy macro tool for WSR. If HB can implement this kind of thing natively, the voice command system would be relatively easy. Maybe even Jester commands could be implemented via that system (from the sim's point of view, there's little difference between talking to an avionics system and an AI RIO).

Alternatively, they could just add keyboard shortcuts and perhaps a Jester-like menu for giving commands, for those who are unable to talk to their computer (some people fly in an environment where talking aloud bothers other people). As long as the commands are exposed, existing tools could be used to implement the system. 

• Like 5

I head during the AFTI F-16 program it’s success was very mixed 

also apparently it’s hard to use over 5 G but one guy was able to use it up to 9. I bet he got made fun of for that, nine times gravity couldn’t shut him up.

I believe the Rafale has a similar system? Not sure how it worked for them.

On 11/20/2022 at 8:14 PM, Etirion said:

Gero answered that question in an interview before, when the Eurofighter was first announced (can't remember which but I think it was a Grim Reapers one) and iirc it was something along the lines of it'd probably not work that well, but they might integrate it and jokingly added that it would make it more realistic if it doesnt work that well.

But keep in mind this wasnt a confirmation and before the heatblur partnership.

Yep. I would not miss the DVI.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

On 11/26/2022 at 7:43 AM, Scott-S6 said:

Yep, just give us appropriate commands to bind to and everyone can utilise them however they like.

I fear with the tools we as windows users have at hand, it will actually work better than in the real jet, unacceptable....

• Like 1

Alias in Discord: Mailman

• 5 months later...

I think that's a given, given the real jet has it set up that way.

While a built-in voice macro system would be awesome, I doubt they'll go that route. Rather, we're more likely to see keyboard shortcuts for each command, that could be bound up to VA commands. Getting a VA profile with the module would be icing on the cake.