RTX 4080 & 7900 XTX/XT benchmarks DCS

Looking at the comments on YT, everyone and his dog are now asking for VR tests. People must be thinking that you guys now have a bunch of hardware lying idly around 🙂

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

12 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

9900k prices are still quite silly, so for the modest gain in performance it isn't worth the outlay. Last time I tried a cpu upgrade in the same family, I was very disappointed and ended up putting my original i5 back in. That was from an i5 4960k to the i7 4770k, which everyone was raving about. The overclocking was dire and even on standard speeds it gave no better performance than my i5. That's something I won't forget in a hurry. I know the i9 is another step, but it's just not worth the outlay right now, especially with me planning to upgrade to AMD in a year or so.

Not used AMD since my Athlon64 days - and they now run some of my retro PCs. That's providing nothing big changes in the next year or so.

edit: I also came across this on a testing website:

btw I know I said I'd wait until January for the 4080, but a good buy came along and I liked the look of the card and they only had one left - so I jumped. Cost me £1346 for a Zotac Carte Graphique Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 Trinity OC 16Go

I upgraded from the i5 to the i9 9900k, about a year and a half ago and yes in most games you wouldn't notice it, but one thing about my i5 it overclocked very poorly (luck of the draw I guess) but the i9 hits 5.0 Ghz very easily so there is that I guess. 

P.S. For what it's worth, I think I would go for a brand new motherboard+cpu combo if I were upgrading today, which is something I will probably do anyway sooner rather than later, as the 9900k is getting a bit long in the tooth. With that said, I don't think I will ever go back to less than an 8 core processor, more and more applications are taking better advantage of multithreaded hardware. If I were upgrading today I would go for the AMD 5800X3D as I would be able to use my DDR4 Ram, but as I still see no real need to upgrade right at this minute I guess I'll wait and see. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

9 hours ago, shastasm said:

Thanks for sharing.  I just ran the track with the same settings and got about 5 to 10 more FPS than you with the 4080.  Could be a function of the different models (Asus TUFF for me).  Super glad there are options out there for our DCS friends.  I might have to overclock now to compare :).  Again thanks for sharing. 

This is interesting as the 4080 is supposed to be faster than the 3090. I mentioned it earlier already that I have a 600 W PSU. But I strongly doubt this would limit the max power the 4080 can bring into my system. I start believing something in my system is braking. I will try to figure out.

Just a sidenote on the Plazma test we were running. With the mentioned settings the mission is very much CPU limited, when I use my standard settings, then the GPU is utilized by100%.

Edited by xoxen
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

2 hours ago, AdrianL said:

For a 4080 12 GB the minimum recommended power supply is 700w.
For the 16 GB version  it is 750w. 

I measured the overall cunsumption of my PC and it is never above 500W. So based on this I should be fine. And I never heard about the PSU being the cause for bad FPS. If the power consumption would be too high, the PC would switch off I guess. So again, I strongly doubt the PSU can cause bad FPS but yes, I will change it to an 850 W anyway. But my 3080 ran 1 year without issues and sucks up even more power. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

13 minutes ago, xoxen said:

I measured the overall cunsumption of my PC and it is never above 500W. So based on this I should be fine. And I never heard about the PSU being the cause for bad FPS. If the power consumption would be too high, the PC would switch off I guess. So again, I strongly doubt the PSU can cause bad FPS but yes, I will change it to an 850 W anyway. But my 3080 ran 1 year without issues and sucks up even more power. 

PSU recommendations for GPU's are generally high due to them not knowing what else is in your system. 600W is a bit on the low end, but your system doesn't seem to be limited by the power supply from what I can see. I saw your GPU hit a clock speed of 2790MHz, and looking at the internet for videos with a similar card to yours, I found this video with a lower GPU clock speed than what you're hitting (probably due to being a non-oc model), which indicated that your GPU appears to be running at full speed without any issues:

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASRock X670E Steel Legend | 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000MHz CL32 | XFX RX 7900 XTX Merc 310 24GB GDDR6 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe | Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80+ Platinum (2022) | Meta Quest 3 512GB | Dell S3422DWG 34" 144Hz UWQHD (3440x1440) | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base & Grip with 200mm VPC Flightstick Extension | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals | VPC Control Panel #2 & VPC SharKa-50 Control Panel

I did another test with Marinaras replay posted here. 

5800X3D, 32Gb RAM, SSD, 3080/7900XTX, Quest 2

https://imgur.com/a/ebjtdLF

7900 XTX performs quite a lot better than 3080 on low CPU scenarios. Even the VR performance is quite a lot better. Very nice upgrade for flat screen definitely and on paper for VR too.

There is however issue with VR. Unless the FPS is same as display refresh rate like in the beginning of Marinaras replay, moving head is stuttery mess. There is certain amount of stuttering even with 3080, but it is so smooth that you don't really notice it unless you are looking for it. ASW also does not work with AMD currently(has it ever?) so it can not be used to get rid of the stuttering either. 

What worries me is the high CPU scenarios where there is barely any difference between 3080 and 7900XTX. Servers like Enigma or missions like Liberation both are very CPU heavy. Drivers also might be an issue and if you are believer of fine wine theory AMD might get better. It is however quite a bit risk to bet on that. 

I honestly don't know if I should keep this or not. 7900 XTX is 1200 euro, 4080 is 1500 euro and 4090 is 2300 euro here. 1200 is pretty much the limit I am willing to pay for GPU. While 4080 might be better for VR, I am not willing to pay that price. 

Edited by ssg
  • Like 3

Seeing all these benchmark results, I'm starting to think that the best value for the price card for DCS in VR is a used 3090...

4080 and XTX are good, better than the 3090, but not so much better that it would worth...
4090 is way better, yes, but (here) you have to pay 3-4x the price of a good condition 3090... It's not 3-4x faster, and if (when) you get CPU limited, it doesn't even matter...

Maybe I'll just skip this generation, go with a 3090, and upgrade the CPU instead...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Th3ChosenOn3 said:

PSU recommendations for GPU's are generally high due to them not knowing what else is in your system. 600W is a bit on the low end, but your system doesn't seem to be limited by the power supply from what I can see. I saw your GPU hit a clock speed of 2790MHz, and looking at the internet for videos with a similar card to yours, I found this video with a lower GPU clock speed than what you're hitting (probably due to being a non-oc model), which indicated that your GPU appears to be running at full speed without any issues:

It's also due to spikes.

Also there is no 4080 12 GB

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

8 minutes ago, Bephott said:

Seeing all these benchmark results, I'm starting to think that the best value for the price card for DCS in VR is a used 3090...

4080 and XTX are good, better than the 3090, but not so much better that it would worth...
4090 is way better, yes, but (here) you have to pay 3-4x the price of a good condition 3090... It's not 3-4x faster, and if (when) you get CPU limited, it doesn't even matter...

Maybe I'll just skip this generation, go with a 3090, and upgrade the CPU instead...

I guess it all comes down to price. 3090 Ti is about 1100 to 1300 euro here. 3090 around 900 to 1000 euro.  XTX being 1200 euro and at least for now it is easily available everyday 17:00 GMT+3 from AMD.com it is pretty tempting choice. 

Does anyone with 7900XTX have access to 3090? I would love to see some direct comparisons. 

29 minutes ago, ssg said:

There is however issue with VR. Unless the FPS is same as display refresh rate like in the beginning of Marinaras replay, moving head is stuttery mess. There is certain amount of stuttering even with 3080, but it is so smooth that you don't really notice it unless you are looking for it. ASW also does not work with AMD currently(has it ever?) so it can not be used to get rid of the stuttering either. 

If your monitor supports freesync, then disabling it will fix the stuttering in VR. I saw it mentioned on reddit over here, might also fix your issue:

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASRock X670E Steel Legend | 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000MHz CL32 | XFX RX 7900 XTX Merc 310 24GB GDDR6 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe | Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80+ Platinum (2022) | Meta Quest 3 512GB | Dell S3422DWG 34" 144Hz UWQHD (3440x1440) | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base & Grip with 200mm VPC Flightstick Extension | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals | VPC Control Panel #2 & VPC SharKa-50 Control Panel

13 hours ago, Th3ChosenOn3 said:

If your monitor supports freesync, then disabling it will fix the stuttering in VR. I saw it mentioned on reddit over here, might also fix your issue:

Thanks, this fixed the big stutters mostly.

Now I have an issue where I get blur like effect when I look to the sides or move my head. I guess these are like real microstutters? Anyway, it makes everything blurry when in motion.

I played on Enigmas and Liberation mission. XTX fixes 2 issues I have with 3080, screen tearing/spikes and big stuttering when looking outside. If I can fix this weird motion blur like effect I think I will keep XTX for VR use. I honestly can't see properly after taking VR headset off because of that blurr effect. It makes my eyes bleed. 

Edited by ssg
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 10:36 PM, shastasm said:

Hi All.  So I did a little benchmarking on the 4080 this weekend.  Below are my results.  All my settings were set at high (mostly). Settings are posted below.  I ran with different SSAA and MSAA settings   This test was ran at 1440p and out of Batumi (Georgia Map) early morning with some clouds.  I tried to recreate the test each time using the F-16 by over flying the sea at 20 feet, then over some defensive units firing at me at the old cross-landing strip north of Batumi, then low level flight in the trees.  The biggest FPS impact in all cases was in the trees at low level.  Highest FPS was observed at high altitude in the 170 to 180 range.  I recorded all the test runs and debating whether or not to post on YouTube as its not a great video lol.  Below are my results.

I think I'll be using the MSAA at 4 - good balance with graphics and performance.  1% and 0.1% lows were better than the MSAA at 2.   

System:

Ryzen 9 5900x

64MB RAM - 3200Mhz

GTX 4080 16GB

CX_2022-12-19_13-23-24_Comparison.png

CX_2022-12-19_13-24-07_Comparison.png

DCS Test Run Settings.png

Hi,

some of the most useful data I've seen so far, great job.
It's just a shame that it's not on the same trk file as the previous tests.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

18 hours ago, ssg said:

I did another test with Marinaras replay posted here. 

5800X3D, 32Gb RAM, SSD, 3080/7900XTX, Quest 2

https://imgur.com/a/ebjtdLF

What's interesting is that the general Radeon cards VR behavior exhibits itself here as well. The frametimes are all over the place, resulting in a very "thick" line. That also adds to the stutters.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

On 12/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, Bephott said:

Seeing all these benchmark results, I'm starting to think that the best value for the price card for DCS is a used 3090...

Yep, that was my conclusion.

Last month I antecipated that it'd be this sh!tshow and grabbed a used EVGA RTX3090 FTW Ultra from Ebay, a year old and in mint condition, 700€ (shipping costs included).
As the old adage says, "search and you will find".
DCS@4K/60Hz cranked at high+ settings (finally!) and not a single hitch, undervolted runs very cool (max temps don't get over 59ºC core / 71ºC mem / 65ºC hotspot) and rarely passes 265W consumption (peak so far was 308W, in Heaven Benchmark only).:pilotfly: Couldn't be happier with the purchase.

These newest higher-end cards available only at stupid high prices, that could instead get me a nice 2nd hand motorcycle or car? :blink:  No thanks, you can have them.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

I've not started testing the 4080 with DCS World yet - but have spent the afternoon testing with my VR games that are resource-intensive and all I can say is "Wow". Not just from what I see, but on fpsVR. Hope to do some DCS testing this evening, if Mrs doesn't mind me disappearing yet again. This card is just awesome - and the Pico 4 outdoes all my other headsets easily - though it does have the occasional minor glitch with PCVR wireless.

• Like 2

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Just tried testing.

DCS World has pulled another one and my stick has lost all of its assignments. Throttle hasn't - just the stick. I checked the controls UI and even though I haven't done any updates or changed anything with the sim or controllers, I've got control profiles jam packed with red exclamation mark icons. Very few are assigned controls - mostly default keyboard stuff.

I couldn't run the track file used in this thread, so I'm guessing it's 2.8, where I'm on 2.7. I used a track file of my own of the M2k, but at some point it just switched to a view of a truck and wouldn't budge from it.

So it'll take some time to sort things out. This is a perfect example of why I always hesitate to fly this sim. Don't get this sort of thing with anything else. Yeah it can be fixed, no doubt - but it's a repeat ballsache.

• Thanks 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

1 hour ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Just tried testing.

DCS World has pulled another one and my stick has lost all of its assignments. Throttle hasn't - just the stick. I checked the controls UI and even though I haven't done any updates or changed anything with the sim or controllers, I've got control profiles jam packed with red exclamation mark icons. Very few are assigned controls - mostly default keyboard stuff.

I couldn't run the track file used in this thread, so I'm guessing it's 2.8, where I'm on 2.7. I used a track file of my own of the M2k, but at some point it just switched to a view of a truck and wouldn't budge from it.

So it'll take some time to sort things out. This is a perfect example of why I always hesitate to fly this sim. Don't get this sort of thing with anything else. Yeah it can be fixed, no doubt - but it's a repeat ballsache.

Yes, the track file is the latest open beta.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Just tried testing.

Make sure stick isnt in recovery mode.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

nullHellhound RX 7900 XTX Takes on the RTX 4080 (babeltechreviews.com)

The Hellhound RX 7900 XTX - is 2x 8 pin, similar to reference model, rather than 3x 8 pin as other AIBs. 

From the testing by Babeltechreviews the 7900 XTX did not score favorably in VR titles vs 4080 or in OpenVR Benchmark. 

However there is "AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.12.2 for AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 Series Graphics Release Notes". Known issues- "Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower than expected performance."

And that results can vary from game to game = the relevance of actual testing of DCS VR with 7900 XTX

image.png

Screenshot 2022-12-21 214527.png

Fj-XusrXkAAzvK2.jpg

Re the 6800/XT performing poor in VR 2 years ago - did they significantly improve this over time, or was their improvements for VR not substantial?

Also - at present with the current driver, where roughly would the 7900XTX sit on the ladder with other cards in VR? If I purchased one today could I expect similar performance to say the 3090ti in VR? 

I'm eyeing off the 7900XTX. If it would give me equivalent performance for it's price compared to other models now, with the possibility of improving down the track I might be interested in buying one. (ie, since it's cheaper than the 4080 but more expensive than a 3090ti at present - I'd probably be happy to bite the bullet if the performance also fits in the middle, as the only way from there is 'up', but if it's underperforming now cards that are priced less than it then I might hold back.

From what I've found so far the most current info related to your question is in the post above, see the link to the article & the screen image of the performance comparison. 

Essentially 4080 is performing well now, 7900 XTX is not performing well in VR benchmarks, however as AMD have ""Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower than expected performance." in their "known issues" it might be worth waiting a month or two to see if driver improvements address this or not. 

Is why it would be good to see how 7900 XTX is doing in DCS in VR, rather than in other games - just need to wait for someone with a VR setup and a 7900 XTX to post some test results - and to check forum / interested in posting about it. 

Edited by MK IX Hawk