A neues Gwand für die Dora! - Hi Res Textures for the Dora

Doughguy

Its still going

Added washing stains, reduced the walkway dust, fixed the supercharger intake weld seam (horrors... horrors), fixed missing fabric dents between controlsurface spars, redone tailsection/stabilizer layout. Added dryness to rim of mudd. Tried around with spray paint application and way to imitate that coarse effect. Eventually might try a new brush, but atm, noise does it. Still some normal map things to fix ive missed...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

added data plate, exhaust heat discoloration and fuel leak discoloration. not too sure about the exhaust heat discoloration. there is some pics around showing a faint tint, but by the looks of the the soot-y fuel exhaust would actually just layer on top of it and only the parts in direct contact with the exhaust flames would get adirect - white discoloration.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After some testing i could find/create a good brush to imitate the luftwaffe splotchy application of paint and partially redone the camo.

Tweaked the markings to be a bit less gloss. Might reduce further.

Also the gasoline stains were fixed in color and adjusted.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Right... i think ive arrived at a point where i cant really think of improving anything anymore.
Ive redone the matte fraying edges on all markings so that they match the frayin where stencils lifted and left a more soft mark. before that it was just a uniform inner glow.
also fixed the fug16zy morane antenna which was actually made out of wood.
last thing ive done was to tint the used metal parts to represent different alloy batches. 
ill just take care of the silvering on the metal surfaces and then do few more 7./JG26 machines.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

12.jpg

Edited by Doughguy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

So... a little study of Brown 4 of 7./JG26.. i only know 2 pictures of that thing... and now try to determine the colors... some stuff has to be made up pattern wise.. but we can draw parallels.

Now.

Attached are 3 images. 

if you look at the first two, youll se the color swatches i use for RLM75, 76 and 81, black and the orang-y brown used for the group marking and the number 4.

Studying the picture ive noticed that the gear leg root cover right above the gear is pretty much lighter than the surrounding area.
Neither JaPo, nor Eagle Publications did seem to notice this or discarded it for whatever reasons?
JaPos conclusion says that the gear cover and surrounding under/upperwing is all brown RLM81.
EP / Crandall says its all RLM75.
But, compare the color/light values of the gear cover with the sidesection of the tail. same value! it is known, that the fuselage was painted with a yellow greenish variant of RLM 76, while gear covers seemingly were not, but RLM76, 81 or 75.

Now, if you look close at the area, where the upper portion of the gear cover inserts into the wing it casts a shadow. Both, the gear cover part and wing root cover have the same value in that shadowy area. If you progress to the right youll see a somewhat opened hatch which has the rim coverd in a lighter color. Incidentally it shares the same value as the gearcover and gear root cover and aeleron!

Now, how to determine the rest? Assuming the wings leading edge and bottom is painted either RLM75 or brown RLM81 we can simply put swatches next to each other in exposed areas and in shadowy areas and then play with brightness/contrast to match the values of the previously determined RLM76!

Bang on RLM81!

Now, as we have that tricky part, we need to look at the top side of this plane.

The only pics i have is attached.

It is known that late war MiMetall build planes had very high contrast patterns, namely RLM76 and RLM81 as per JaPo, however, i have to check this out as its tricky to deal with as photoquality isnt best and it appears over exposed.
The breakup color might be RLM76 or RLM82. Both colors were used on MiMetall birds.

The mystery remains the engine cowling and the tail section to some extend.

It is established that Wrk.Nr. 500647 is of the third and last batch produced by MiMetall. Its sisterbird 500666 has the whole forward section painted in one uniform color, so its save to say it was painted in the same way, but it remains speculation.

The tailsection is what makes brown 4 famous as it uses a Ta152 tail. Of course we dont have this in dcs... but what the heck..

Id imagine - and this is speculation- that the tail would use a different shade of RLM76 as the tail sections were build by different subcontractors and delivered prepainted.
To "buff out" uneveness in camo pattern, the "saddle" section between tail and center fuselage, which contains the extension plug, was usually painted with a different color, with MiMetall builds its RLM82 light green.

I have no idea about the horizontal stabs tho... top and bottom...

1.png

2.png

Fw190D-9 Brown4 7JG26_pic (1).png

Fw-190-D-9-Brown-4.jpg

Edited by Doughguy
  • Thanks 2

Small update. Im evaluating new info i could scavange on painting procedures of the dora.

As established the junkers pre manufactured jumo engines came prepainted in a light blue rlm76 and rlm81 green on top having a very clean straight demarcation line.

Upon assembly it is said that the power egg was oversprayed in the blue-green/beige version of rlm76 and topped off with brown rlm81.

Same method was sort of applied to tail section as these came premade from another subcontractor. The joint then was overpainted in the saddle section. With the mimetall 500xxx series this was done with rlm 82 as previously discussed.

Pictures somehow underline aforementioned procedure as the cowling often has a misalligned demarcation line most noticably on the right side where the demarcation line of the power egg is somewhat centered around the middle of the supercharger scoop and on the fuselage the demarcation line is higher around the strengthening spars.

This methid was explicitly stated for the 5006xx series.

However there seems to be a tripping stone... rlm81 green and rlm 81 brown look very identical on b/w. Nearly indistiguishable...

Also, planes like the blue 12 of the same series also had the top front of the cowling sprayed in rlm82 light green... that strikes it pretty odd given the fact how much paint was used / wasted and lookin at the dire situations the luftwaffe was facing...

Basically youd have rlm81g/rlm76b then rlm81b/rlm76bg and then a coat of rlm82.... overspray a green with brown to be resprayed with green??

Sorta odd...

It sure would make a nice visual detail but the question  about execution and time investment vs result arises...

Anyway.. ive got some books incoming that might help hopefully...

Theres few minor adjustmwnts and fixes bein done meanwhile along with slight color hue corrections.

Unique serial nrs were made for brown 18 and 4, underside spray pattern of the elevators were fixed, nr "4" was fixed in shape and dimension.

The droptanks were colored rlm65 as it seems this was the predominant color.

Also theyll receive some dings in the normal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Right.

Worked on the tail section and jumo drop in as per JaPo book procedures.
Base in rlm76 light blue and then sprayed in the beige variant. Engine topped with RLM81 green.

The effect is "minimal" and did consume hours.... oh well.. it is what it is...

Also adjusted colors as the rlm81 brown was tad too dark imho. further colors on brown 4, 14 and 2 and a generic 7/26 will be differnt from another in their tonality.

Its pretty interesting to see the battles one has to fight with finding the right colors especially for a PBR environment.
In the shaded view, rlm82 looks nearly slime green, whereas in diffuse only its a medium olive green.
So even if there were correct RLM charts, colors would have to be corrected for a PBR environment or would look "off".

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Doughguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Those JaPo books opened a can of worms.

The prop blades were primed with the infamous RLM99 (fictional) green-yellow primer.

Many paints used were very deluted and thinly applied due to the progression of war and its shortcomings.
I tried to implement this, but for some technical stuff ive omited this, but applied it to eg, break up pattern on the wings and brushstrokes on the prop blades.

Also added some small details to the gun cowling and a forgotten detail on the bottom. A grove for the ETC rack.

The normals for the gun covers on the wings were also modified to pop a bit more.

Red markers on the push buttons were painted red. 

Albeit late war doras often had the bare minimum of service markings applied i just added it for <profanity> n giggles.

Ill be stressing the skin a bit more to break up uniformity in the next days.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Doughguy said:

Hi,

afaik it is, but im not sure. Youd have to tinker around with the lua files, or create new ones

I used to do custom multiskin configs for Bob2 WoV. With DCS I'm in the dark. I might look into it sometime.

I've just edited my go to IA mission (Channel - furball with Thunderbolts) for my Dora to wear your livery. Magnificent!

But as soon as I get hit with any gunfire, the legacy "damage" textures are being applied. Supposed bullet and shrapnel holes. Your fine liveries go with them like a fine saddle on a pig! 😕

Do you have any plans to at least refresh the old "damage" textures a bit?

• Like 1