Pico 4: how to set it up for DCS?

Lange_666

11 hours ago, Sabre said:

Why do you still need SteamVR with VD? I just launch VD Streamer, OpenXR is set to run with DCS, XRNeckSafer and off you go. No traces of SteamVR.

Are you experiencing any problems with XRNS? Often I find that the rotation is laterally displaced even when recentering so that your POV ends up outside looking back along the side of the aircraft. I have tried reorganising the XR layers so that XRNS is at the top but this does not work. The only way I can solve this is by restarting DCS in steam vr then restarting in VDXR and keeping my headset centred while it launches. It is very frustrating.

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

В 19.12.2023 в 00:40, zaelu сказал:

1. Put mouse over them.
2. To improve screenshot and recorded video quality in Pico 4 make sure you set up the recording format to normal 1920x1080 format. No wider no extra FOV or resolution or any other bs. Chose one eye, 1920x1080p, 16:9, portrait.  And also make sure you are up to date firmware wise. At some point they messed up the video and made those ugly vertical areas where image is garbled especially if you don't stick with standard FOV and HD resolution..

For me making screenshots and videos is no the case. I am trying just to play this game in vr, nothing else.

Question to the users of the 4090: how much vram does it use for dcs with pico 4 on your settings?

To the users of the 4080: is it enough for pico 4? What settings do you have?

11 minutes ago, apelsin44ek said:

For me making screenshots and videos is no the case. I am trying just to play this game in vr, nothing else.

Question to the users of the 4090: how much vram does it use for dcs with pico 4 on your settings?

For most of my more less complex mission lately, my 4090 uses around 50-60%. With more variations in units and skins the VRAM increases.

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

21 hours ago, apelsin44ek said:

And do you have some data from multiplayer?

I am not around the PC for some time due to holidays 🎄🎅

I am sure some other can give the multiplayer VRAM status.

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

On 12/20/2023 at 2:55 AM, Qcumber said:

Are you experiencing any problems with XRNS? Often I find that the rotation is laterally displaced even when recentering so that your POV ends up outside looking back along the side of the aircraft. I have tried reorganising the XR layers so that XRNS is at the top but this does not work. The only way I can solve this is by restarting DCS in steam vr then restarting in VDXR and keeping my headset centred while it launches. It is very frustrating.

I haven't noticed any inconsistencies so far. And I don't use steam vr.

5 hours ago, Sabre said:

I haven't noticed any inconsistencies so far. And I don't use steam vr.

I have now deleted steam vr but the issue persists. I'm not sure what us causing it. 

On 12/27/2023 at 2:08 AM, Qcumber said:

I have now deleted steam vr but the issue persists. I'm not sure what us causing it. 

I'm sorry to hear that, I have Steam vr installed, but I've never used it. So it doesn't get in the way for me.

3 minutes ago, adirtynurse said:

Jeez this is 25p long. TLDR version please? Pico 4 or Q3? Or is there a third that I'm overlooking for a similar price?

VR is a minefield. The P4 is a bargain and has great resolution. I have had one for about a year and have been very happy with it. I don't own a Q3 but it sounds good for standalone gaming. I don't know if there is any significant advantage over the P4 really for PCVR but it is still early days. I have just bought a Quest Pro, even though it is lower res than the P4 and Q3, and it is a lot better than the P4. It's not all about resolution etc. You can get a QP on eBay for the same price as a Q3. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

I have just bought a Quest Pro, even though it is lower res than the P4 and Q3, and it is a lot better than the P4. It's not all about resolution etc.

Ain't that the truth. I had a Reverb G2 last year and was so disappointed with it I returned it immediately.

If its not a secret...what are your reasons for getting the QP?

5 hours ago, adirtynurse said:

Ain't that the truth. I had a Reverb G2 last year and was so disappointed with it I returned it immediately.

If its not a secret...what are your reasons for getting the QP?

It's mainly for DFR. I have been using QVFR  in fixed mode and wanted to try the dynamic version. 

8 hours ago, adirtynurse said:

Was it worth it? I mean the change-over. Was it worth the money going from P4 to QP?

Thanks for the answers, btw 🙂

I got the QP for a good price so yes, I think it is worth it. I am still testing things. It works very well with VD and produces similar quality and performance to the P4. I don't notice the lower pixel count. However, DFR means that I can use more restricted FOV settings than I could with FFR with the P4. This gives it a good performance boost. The colours and contrast are better with the QP due to the better screens. The lenses are better too.

Using a link cable produces less noticable compression artifacts as you can push it to 960 Mbps. It is a subtle effect but I noticed it in fine details of buildings and the smaller cockpit text. 

The P4 is still a good headset and well worth it. 

The QP is a better headset with a much bigger price tag unless you can find a good new or nearly new deal on eBay. 

Edit: I am trying to compare like for like in terms of pixels etc and I need to push the oculus link to a much higher count so see any improvement over VD. 

Edited by Qcumber
  • Like 2

On 12/25/2023 at 2:44 AM, apelsin44ek said:

well... here is a bit of telemetry after a quick solo flight on the last Su-30... I couldn't afford 4090... a little more for it, a little more for PSU... but I can feel from all the bunch of garbage GPUs that are on the market right now for VR... 4090 is probably the least garbage... sadly.
In 2024 I will try to increase the RAM to 64GB to alleviate a little the problem... not sure it would be possible with all these troubles around though...
null

image.jpeg

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

The 4080 is plenty for DCS World with a Pico 4. I have both - bought them together end of last year and my DCS World v2.x VR experience has never been so good. Coupled with a Ryzen 7 7800X3D and 64GB of DDR5 - though it was also good with my previous i5-9600k and 32GB of DDR4 - just not as good as now 🙂

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

23 hours ago, adirtynurse said:

Jeez this is 25p long. TLDR version please? Pico 4 or Q3? Or is there a third that I'm overlooking for a similar price?

Pico 4 is a bargain. Q3 has some advantages, but not overwhelming at this point, and these come at a price. Here is a short review on Reddit that I think sum it up very well: Meta Quest 3 vs. Pico 4 - A Closer Look into a PCVR player's perspective. This is for PCVR; story is different if you value standalone use as Meta's products have a much larger games library.

Quest Pro would be even better as Dynamic Foveated Rendering can squeeze extra performance (Along with MSFS, DCS is probably the most taxing VR application your PC will see), but on some markets (Europe...) it costs twice as much as the Pico 4. In any case, with any headset that connect via WiFi or USB (Pico 4, Q2, Q3, QPro), it is preferable to only consider VR if you have an RTX3090 / RX6900XT class GPU or better and you are prepared to make compromises nevertheless. Software wise, Virtual Desktop with its built-in VDXR API/renderer is all you need for DCS (no SteamVR, Opencomposite, WMR, OpenXR Toolkit,...), along with Matt Bucchia's QVFR which also make it possible to do fixed foveated rendering to gain performance on headsets that do not have eye tracking, for nice performance improvement at negligible perceived image quality cost. Tune (usually down...) your graphic settings to sustain native refresh rate (72Hz, 72 fps) because retroprojection artefacts can be really annoying in flight sims.

• Like 4

5800X3D - 6950XT - Pico 4

I got a 4090, can anyone tell me what is the best anti aliasing options and VD setting combination to max the headset/DCS?

I seem to be getting decent frames at 90hz with FXAA 4x so i think i can push it more and use some better anti aliasing options.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, apelsin44ek said:

So, finally I can fly in vr after updating to 4080.

But right now I am constantly catching a CPU bound. Could somebody explain what does it mean? Am I right, that now my CPU is a reason for stuttering?

Use the advanced FPS counter in OXRTK. It will give you the frame times for both CPU and GPU.

You can even set the target FPS and it shows you the CPU and GPU overhead in %.

Highly recommended when you are tweaking settings.

IMG_0743.jpeg

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 2

50 минут назад, MIghtymoo сказал:

Use the advanced FPS counter in OXRTK. It will give you the frame times for both CPU and GPU.

You can even set the target FPS and it shows you the CPU and GPU overhead in %.

Highly recommended when you are tweaking settings.

IMG_0743.jpeg

So I have switched OXRTK back. Put PD on 1.5 (lower not acceptable), Ultra quality for VD.

What I can see is on the screenshot. Could pls somebody translate from IT language to the common one?

Screenshot_VirtualDesktop.Pico_2024.01.03-10.51.11.032_074.jpeg

Edited by apelsin44ek

7 minutes ago, apelsin44ek said:

So I have switched OXRTK back. Put PD on 1.5 (lower not acceptable), Ultra quality for VD.

What I can see is on the screenshot. Could pls somebody translate from IT language to the common one?

Screenshot_VirtualDesktop.Pico_2024.01.03-10.51.11.032_074.jpeg

The first thing I would advise is connecting your pc to the router with an ethernet cable. You will always struggle with a bitrate of 47mbps. Your game latency is also very high so you probably need to reduce your game settings. Your GPU frame time is 24.3 ms so it's likely you are overloading your GPU. If you don't want to compromise on game settings you can reduce this a lot using QVFR and DLSS. 

Instead of using VD Ultra and PD 1.5, try using Godlike and a reduced PD. You should always start with maxing out VD first. If you use QVFR you can use it to keep the peripheral resolution at 1 and increase the centre to about 1.3. this would probably give you the same centre res as you have now with about a 30% performance boost. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Qcumber said:

The first thing I would advise is connecting your pc to the router with an ethernet cable. You will always struggle with a bitrate of 47mbps. Your game latency is also very high so you probably need to reduce your game settings. Your GPU frame time is 24.3 ms so it's likely you are overloading your GPU. If you don't want to compromise on game settings you can reduce this a lot using QVFR and DLSS. 

Instead of using VD Ultra and PD 1.5, try using Godlike and a reduced PD. You should always start with maxing out VD first. If you use QVFR you can use it to keep the peripheral resolution at 1 and increase the centre to about 1.3. this would probably give you the same centre res as you have now with about a 30% performance boost. 

Agree with above comments regarding wifi/gigabit connection. Fast and stable network connection is a must for good and smooth image. 

Also I recommend setting the absolute resolution in OXRTK if you want higher resolution than Godlike in VD and not using Pixel Density in DCS (leave at 1.0).

Based on above your GPU and CPU are doing OK with overhead for 36fps (reprojected). May want to consider turning up to 45fps reprojected and turn down graphics settings some. Highly recommend DLSS Quality for the overall best performance vs visuals.

On 1/2/2024 at 5:40 PM, jungleboy123 said:

I got a 4090, can anyone tell me what is the best anti aliasing options and VD setting combination to max the headset/DCS?

I seem to be getting decent frames at 90hz with FXAA 4x so i think i can push it more and use some better anti aliasing options.

Thanks.

bumping my question in hope someone sees it. Thanks.