How to make hi quality video?

In what way is the quality not good? Most recording softwares should do just fine, as they only capture what your computer displays. So if you have a bad computer with low settings, no software will be able to magically enhance the source material to look good.

I have also tried the RAT mission editor tool (record AVI). I set it to Theora+Vorbis 95%, 30 FPS, 1 minute of mission:

It took 5,5 minutes to encode

It's 280 MB

Pretty good quality and you can set DCS to Ultra settings on a potato PC, the video will turn out perfectly smooth 30 FPS anyway.

https://youtu.be/daxTQMuPZ3I

Edited by Bucic

The video's I see on youtube (even at 1080p) look far beyond what I'm able to produce. 

It doesn't matter what settings I do, I tend never to get DCS to look as good as those on youtube that I view with my same 1080p monitor. I'm wondering if there's some trickery such as recording DCS in 8K, and then downsizing the video's to HD that give it the more realistic look.

10 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

The video's I see on youtube (even at 1080p) look far beyond what I'm able to produce. 

It doesn't matter what settings I do, I tend never to get DCS to look as good as those on youtube that I view with my same 1080p monitor. I'm wondering if there's some trickery such as recording DCS in 8K, and then downsizing the video's to HD that give it the more realistic look.

At which point do you notice the quality turns out poor? Before or after uploading to YouTube? What do you use for recording and with what settings?

In the post above I stated exactly how I recorded my 1 minut test video. Why not copying the process?

You may also record a short in-cockpit clip using your usual method and send me the file. I'll take a look.

Edited by Bucic

13 hours ago, Bucic said:

At which point do you notice the quality turns out poor? Before or after uploading to YouTube? What do you use for recording and with what settings?

In the post above I stated exactly how I recorded my 1 minut test video. Why not copying the process?

You may also record a short in-cockpit clip using your usual method and send me the file. I'll take a look.

Hi Bucic,

Thanks for your response and kind offer to take a look. 

It's before uploading. Just that on my screen DCS looks like "a game" compared to some of the youtube video's I see where it is difficult to tell whether they've spliced in some real world footage as DCS looks that good.

I have been using OBS Studio for capturing the screen play - but I don't think that's the issue, because it basically captures what I'm seeing on the screen. With DCS it doesn't seem to matter what settings I use - I struggle to get it to look remotely close to some cinematics that I have seen on youtube and my guess is that the youtube stuff is created with rendering far beyond 1080p in order to get such detail - even if the end result I'm looking at is on a 1080p monitor. 

I'll check out Record AVI for capturing instead - maybe that will help me to make a difference.  If not, I'll post back an example along with the settings.

Cheers

DZ

@DangerzoneK, so even your in-game image doesn't look good to you 🙂 Please post 2 screenshots then - one in-game and one of your current settings. You can also test run the highest possible settings for a moment, just to see how it looks ramped up.

@Dangerzone I think we should start with defining what you mean by "that good", 'cause the description is somewhat on the vague side, to put it mildly.

Textures detail and resolution? Lighting / shading / colours? Many vid creators just use simple tricks like setting up the mission to "golden hour", bumping up wind, adding the best looking cloud presets etc. That's enough to make DCS look twice better than in standard, noon-hours mission. No upscaling or rendering shenanigans are necessary. This vid is a bit outdated by now, but the basics still apply:

• Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Ingame vid capture: OBS studio recording settings in 60 FPS

Video edition software: DaVinci Resolve free version... final render in 4K

DCS Ingame Video Settings: extracted from Spudknocker's YT vid ( linked by ART-J )

Reshade: used but all effects selected are the classic ones and in deffault position

PC specs: CPU: i5-6500 3.20Ghz, 32 Gb's RAM, GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb's (Old Hen can still make Good Soup)

The key is in the render quality. As higher quality you render as higher quality you will have in YT 

Disclaimer: I'm only using this vid to show the tech specs. The quality of the story it's only up to ppl own appreciation.

Edited by OLD CROW

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

OBS is cooked for me now. Keeps flashing when recording DCS. (But only DCS for some reason). Going to install geforce and use shadow recorder or whatever it is instead. 

I'm yet to test but I think the trick may be to record a track file, then change my PC resolution to 4K (even though I only have a 1K monitor), up DCS settings to MAX and try the AVI Record thing in the mission editor. I'll check out that video from ART-J and OldCrow too. Thanks all!