BS3: A successful update.

kotor633

Hi rotorheads,

I would be interested to know how satisfied those who got the BS 3 update are with it? I personally bought it yesterday. And I'm really excited. And how realistic some extensions are or aren't...there are plenty of others that get lost in endless discussions.

• Like 2

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

I'm loving the update in just about every regard (I was fully aware what kind of a prototype frankenheli it was becoming, thankfully reverting back to BS2 spec is super easy), but the INU alignment when using Normal or Precision alignment, and stand-by ADI seem to be completely borked.

There are several discussions about the INU issues, and I don't think anyone has yet found real consistency with it, right now the most basic accelerated alignment + manual heading correction seems to give the best results. That, or starting hot. Both drift a fair bit though (something like 1.5 km per hour of flight at 210 km/h is what I'm seeing when doing a figure of 8 pattern), especially when you're making harder turns (square pattern was more stable than the figure of 8 pattern, probably because of the less aggressive turns?).

The backup ADI just drifts out of whack during turns, and no amount of resetting it helps. It's useless right now.

Edited by jubuttib

I'm sold on BS3 and this is really strange, because BS2 was the only chopper I virtually never flew (35 hours or so and that's it).

In BS 3 many sounds are better - an extremely important thing to me! In BS2 when the rotors were spooling down, the sound was "slowing down", so was getting darker and darker, my ears were bleeding hearing it. Now it's gone 🙂 Also I think there's something new and "richer" about engine spool down (maybe spool up as well), I'll need to concentrate more on sounds yet, so far I've been too busy learning new systems (and some old systems I never cared to learn properly in BS2).

The 3D model is fantastic. While it's not as important to me as the cockpit (the latter had been improved some time prior to BS3), it does make my jaw drop. Also 3D damage model looks great, at least judging after 1 or 2 days of getting beaten in BS3.

The MWS makes a world of difference! That's truly a bomb in BS3. For me that is. Flares will either fool a heat seeker or not, they're not magic, don't go reckless, but at least now Betty/Natasha will yell at you, so, for example, you can drop the collective and hopefully hide behind a building or trees. Yesterday I was so vigorous with it that I tapped with the belly on the ground and damaged Shkval and laser, but I didn't get the missile in the face (I think it was some kind of wire-guided ATGM). Went back to the airfield for repair and then back to the A.O. to finish the bad guys who shot at me. Satisfaction 100% 🙂
In BS2 you would peacefully die from MANPADS or other non-laser-guided things on a regular basis - if only the bad dude fired it from a rear hemisphere. Or from wherever when you were head-down staring at your Shkval. No warning, another happy day at work and BANG - you're dead.

The SAI (standby ADI) goes bonkers, just as in BS2.
INU aligment is being disputed, maybe there's something off about it, maybe not, IDK. Regardless, I assume you will now have a reason to learn "reference points" in PVI-800 and do Shkval-guided or "overfly" fixes during a long sortie. Great!

To me BS3 seems a very solid offer in the Helo Department and - for whatever it's worth - I'm saying it as an ex "non-fan" of BS2! Call me a convert 😉

• Like 2

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Loving it once again. The original BS was my favourite for a long time, then I switched to the Hornet on release and barely flew BS2. With BS3 out, I’ve probably logged 15 hours in it since release and love it. Flying it again seems so natural and all the old skills came back pretty quick. I find it a very easily controlled airframe as long as you know the AP modes and trim well. Just need some dedicated BS3 campaigns to be produced and I’m set. 

Edited by Spetz
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 12:15 AM, kotor633 said:

Hi rotorheads,

I would be interested to know how satisfied those who got the BS 3 update are with it? I personally bought it yesterday. And I'm really excited. And how realistic some extensions are or aren't...there are plenty of others that get lost in endless discussions.

I'm VERY happy with it. It added much improved FM changes, Impressive and useful IGLAs for low-flying jets and helicopters, and most importantly a MWS that has saved my ass over 5 times in a single flight.

• Like 1

I feel like it was worth it. The MWS makes it feel like a step-up from the Mi-24P, the model's improved detail is actually a lot more of an improvement than I expected. I also re-read the manual and discovered some things.

I still wish for an ability to carry less Vikhr per hardpoint (e.g. 2 tube and 4 tube rack options) and it'd also be nice to select individual hardpoints (as seems to be the case with the new wing on the Ka-52)... although I understand not including the latter as it is tied into the WCS. I have no idea why they wouldn't give us the lighter Vikhr racks though - seems like it wouldn't cost much to add (no additional programming, largely the same 3d model) and it'd add a lot.

Am 27.12.2022 um 03:43 schrieb BalticDude:

I'm VERY happy with it. It added much improved FM changes, Impressive and useful IGLAs for low-flying jets and helicopters, and most importantly a MWS that has saved my ass over 5 times in a single flight.

From which Flightmodel improvements are u talking ? There was no Change since mid BS2.

On 12/21/2022 at 3:15 AM, kotor633 said:

Hi rotorheads,

Well worth the 10 bucks I paid for it and one of the best choppers in the DCS stable. IMO it handles the best of all their choppers. I really like it but the ah64 is my fav because I'm American and I'm bias 🙂 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb pii:

Well worth the 10 bucks I paid for it and one of the best choppers in the DCS stable. IMO it handles the best of all their choppers. I really like it but the ah64 is my fav because I'm American and I'm bias 🙂 

Blackshark 3 is not released inside the stable version. Only in the beta. Because it has too many bugs inside at the moment.

18 hours ago, Schlomo1933 said:

Blackshark 3 is not released inside the stable version. Only in the beta. Because it has too many bugs inside at the moment.

I didn't mean it was a in the "stable" version I meant DCS modules in general as a group/stable. 

Worth it just for the modelling, sounds, and flight dynamics update.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

1 hour ago, Schlomo1933 said:

Which flight dynamic update? Nothing has changed since BS2

I thought it had a flight dynamics update as well? There were tweaks to rotor downwash behavior IIRC?

Changes in the flight dynamics model include the implementation of the engine gas-dynamic instability during the rockets launch from the inboard launchers, from hover and at low speeds. This is due to the sake of hot rocket gases into the air intakes, which can lead to a drop in thrust, surgeon and shutdown of the engines. (Also fixed for BS2)

...meaning there are other changes. I'm sure they were discussed here previously.

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

11 hours ago, Schlomo1933 said:

The rotor down wash came with BS2 with 2.8 

but yes, it’s a nice feature 

Ahh OK. I thought it was part of the BS3 update.