Motion Blur on rotors

zaGURUinzaSKY

I really would like to have motion blur on rotors instead of perfectly high shutter speed pictures, the absence of motion blur doesn't give the sense of rotation speed of blades, and depending on the external view camera angles, sometime they appear to rotate even slower.

I'm also thinking at a more realistic light ring in the night when the blade tip lights are turned on as I can normally see in real scale and RC helis with night blades.

The visual effect of light ring is baically a safety feature for formation flight I guess, but it

works only with motion blur..

For sure this would be simply more realistic and nice, so I suppose the DCS comunity would appreciate it, Is this realizable from ED ?

Robbie.

I really would like to have motion blur on rotors instead of perfectly high shutter speed pictures, the absence of motion blur doesn't give the sense of rotation speed of blades, and depending on the external view camera angles, sometime they appear to rotate even slower.

IIRC, motion blur was introduced with DX9, so you won't see it in the current TFCSE(?) because it uses DX8 apart from shadows. The port to the new engine may introduce motion blur, although i must say that i really like the way that the rotor looks now.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

IIRC, motion blur was introduced with DX9, so you won't see it in the current TFCSE(?) because it uses DX8 apart from shadows. The port to the new engine may introduce motion blur, although i must say that i really like the way that the rotor looks now.

Oh I see, some others replace the 3D model on a certain rotation speed with some new textures of a blurred disk (at different stage of blurriness) that coul be a solution, I think you'll agree with me that even if you like it , it's not how it looks in reality..

Robbie.

im confused.

last night i found where the screenshots are kept and looked at mine. the first thing i thought was: wow, i like the motion blur on the rotor whilst the rest of the helicoper was in perfect detail.

the screenshots were done from the F2 camera. are other cameras less blurry?

looked just like the pix i took at the local airshow last year

mmm... if I look at the rotor hub I can clearly see any single parts while I'm in flight... that' shouldn't be like that, I'm an aerial photographer for work and also RC heli pilot so I have my idea of what I should expect, and DCS doesn't look good to me at all, may be a limit of my video card? (nvidia 7800 GTX)

Robbie.

ah so this thread is about the hub?

well thats travelling slower than the rotors so any blur will be minimal compared to the rotors.

theres loads of real photos of the ka50 in flight showing the hub looking still and detailed, whilst the rotors are blurred.

looks like you're after a control for the shutter speed in the game? which i guess if implemented will just merge a couple of frames together...

that's why dx9 implemented motion blur

Which is nice, but helicopters sims have made rotors which looks blurred and car games have made blurred wheels for years before dx9 came about. It's just about using a different texture with blur added.

To me the rotors in Black Shark look more like they are flickering than rotating. And that may be how it looks to a camera, but not how the eye perceives it in real life. I prefer what the eye sees to what it looks like to a camera.

Though it's by no means a big deal which in any way ruins the game for me. Just a little thing I would like to see improved :)

Which is nice, but helicopters sims have made rotors which looks blurred and car games have made blurred wheels for years before dx9 came about. It's just about using a different texture with blur added.

To me the rotors in Black Shark look more like they are flickering than rotating. And that may be how it looks to a camera, but not how the eye perceives it in real life. I prefer what the eye sees to what it looks like to a camera.

Though it's by no means a big deal which in any way ruins the game for me. Just a little thing I would like to see improved :)

totally agree with you. but such a nice sim with that fake rotor spinning/flickering effect...

Robbie.

A positive thing would be if game makers talk more with visual experts like photographers or professional cameramen to have some extra information about how things should look in a game, otherwise some parts will result unrealistic not because of software limitations or coders limitations but simply because of wrong choices or limited knowledge on the specific field (visual effects, real world).

An image expert can fully understand and better notice these things. Things that are probably not difficult to implement but if you don't see them you don't do them...

Robbie.

i agree on the rotor blur requirment. iam a racing sim designer. i have been swapping the stationary 3d model to a blurred texture for years now. DX7,8,9 ...not just for nice looking in game effects, but for performance issues ie less 3D model = more framerates. The central hub could stay 3D in motion and still not look to bad. IMO the blades need animated. One thing i noticed was in matts tutorial videos things 'seemed' alot nicer blade animation wise!!!.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Most flight simulators use a nice clean blur model for props or rotors when they reach high rpm. No fancy DirectX 9 motion blur effects required. It really bugs me that DCS doesn't have this, it's such a simple and fundamental thing. The flickering is visible in the pit, making it very obvious and distracting. When the two rotors appear overlapped the flickering produces even stranger effects.

This is made in Armed Assault too. Blurred prop textures at a certain RPM (or speed in this case) and it works perfect as you all stated.

Maybe ED can implement it in a patch? Or a addon maker can make it? I have only seen it in videos as i dont own BS yet, but it looked sharp and crisp wich i liked. Maybe its too sharp when you are actually flying it on your own screen.

Regards

Alex "Snuffer" D.

AMD FX8350 (8 core) 4.1GHZ ::: 8GB Dominator 1600mhz ::: GTX660 2GB ::: 2xHD ::: 24" ASUS

i think ED are simply coming from a realism aspect with how they have implemented it, but it leaves me a question that i touched on earlier. the tutorial vids have exceptional looking animated rotor. if my eyes arn't being decieved as maybe the case is, then this feature is coming i think with an updated graphics module,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

I tend to agree. When I pull certain manouvers (particularly high speed dives with the collective lowered), when the rotor RPM drops off, in addition to the low speed warning, the blades look almost static as they fly by the window and not as if they're still doing a thousand RPM. It gets me every me I have that happen because I think I've lost my engines and stalled the rotors!!

The blade effect (certainly from the perspective of inside) needs to be addressed.

Best regards,

Tango.

there are stages when we should see a static looking rotor all be it blurred to varying degrees, even from within the cockpit. when its rpm meets the X value and coincides with what were viewing in its re fresh rate. it does occur, just like when viewing a cars wheel accelerating. in BS It would liven the eye candy up immensly...

lol what is the refresh rate of the human brain & our optical systems...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]