Since 2.8 new lighting the hud glass is too green and opaque

Elphaba

Depending on the angle of the sun to the HUD, the hud can now be so green it becomes virtually opaque and even turning hud brightness down makes zero difference to the 'green of the glass' in the small forward oval window.

Is this going to be addressed because for bombing runs and merged A2A you lose all visual ability to pick out targets. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 11:53 AM, Elphaba said:

even turning hud brightness down makes zero difference to the 'green of the glass' in the small forward oval window.

Correct as is.

03GrummanF14TomcatCanopy.jpg

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/aircraft/images/a/ae/03GrummanF14TomcatCanopy.jpg

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 weeks later...

i mentioned this in another topic, but it seems to be caused by flat shadows.  Basically the sun can actually shine through the sides or bottom of the plane and cause a huge reflection on the inside of the windshield (this is independent of the hud being on or not).  I don't know if this was always the case, and I don't think it's specific to the F-14.  

20230215203027_1.jpg.fae995be7859e10245b4215cb2aaaef6.jpg

4 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Just wondering how everyone expects flat shadows to manifest over all the different surfaces of the cockpit. I can't even begin to visualize how it would work.

I don't know to be honest, but given that flat shadows have been an option for a while, yet lots of people have suddenly started noticing this particular glare effect, It's reasonable to assume that something has changed.  Perhaps its more the way the windshield responds to glare has changed to make the effect more noticeable.

I seem to recall a recent patch note about fixing some missing reflectivity textures in the cockpit. I thought it was the VDI and HSD, but maybe it was the HUD too? I just went back through the last few patch notes, but I couldn't find it.

Another reason why people might be noticing it more lately is the extra performance hit that came with 2.8, and many people downgrading their settings to maintain FPS.

I just don't see how flat shadows would work in the pit. Would it be like a 2D gray shadow cutout half way between the virtual pilot's head and the consoles? What would happen if you used your head tracker to lean forward? Would your head go through the shadow? Would the shadow follow your head position forward and start clipping through the front consoles? How would it work with the seat and floor? Would it slice/clip down through them vertically?

I don't ever recall seeing flat cockpit shadows in any version of DCS, or even in any youtube video.i don't think it was ever a thing, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong if someone has a video link.

The issue happens when you have shadows off exclusively because the angle of the light to the glass becomes such to make it appear far more opaque than it is. The flipside of this is that if we tweak this to work well with shadows off- the green glass will be almost invisible with shadows on.

• Thanks 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

10 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

The issue happens when you have shadows off exclusively because the angle of the light to the glass becomes such to make it appear far more opaque than it is. The flipside of this is that if we tweak this to work well with shadows off- the green glass will be almost invisible with shadows on.

I definitely have it happen with flat shadows, not shadows off.  I do have secondary shadows turned off, though, if that's what you are referring to?

10 hours ago, WarthogOsl said:

I definitely have it happen with flat shadows, not shadows off.  I do have secondary shadows turned off, though, if that's what you are referring to?

Secondary shadows are used on the carrier only at night.

Flat shadows cannot be used as cockpit shadows afaik.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 1:02 PM, Cobra847 said:

Can't you wrap it in an if statement to check if the shadows are off? Because on my 1080ti I have to run shadows off since 2.8 because the performance in VR sucks. Even MT hasn't helped. 

Am 14.3.2023 um 11:12 schrieb Elphaba:

Can't you wrap it in an if statement to check if the shadows are off? Because on my 1080ti I have to run shadows off since 2.8 because the performance in VR sucks. Even MT hasn't helped. 

I believe your 1080ti sucks… 😉