Sukhoi Wishes

Oubaas

6 hours ago, Avimimus said:

It'd be nice if there was a version of MAC that kept the same basic quality of flight modelling (and even some of the systems modelling) and used an up-to-date version of the DCS engine - but allowed 3rd parties to add aircraft that are still classified. I always thought it'd be great to have some 5th generation aircraft (or aircraft that never saw service) in this game engine - something like the Mig 1.44 or F-35 for instance... part of me would like to be able to use regular DCS modules against them as well (even if not in 'DCS' proper).

That's exactly what mods offer.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

7 hours ago, Avimimus said:

It'd be nice if there was a version of MAC that kept the same basic quality of flight modelling (and even some of the systems modelling) and used an up-to-date version of the DCS engine - but allowed 3rd parties to add aircraft that are still classified. I always thought it'd be great to have some 5th generation aircraft

What you propose is contradictory - it's impossible to code realistic flight model or systems of classified aircraft with no data.

It's not DCS or MAC or other sim which has realistic FM or systems, it's developer who can code it in realistic way if he has data, SME cooperation, aircraft producer license etc. Or unrealistic, made up, fictional if data are classified and not available, SME won't say anything, produced won't sell license. Tools are already in DCS. You won't make realistic i.e. Raptor regardless of simulator environment available.

5 hours ago, bies said:

What you propose is contradictory - it's impossible to code realistic flight model or systems of classified aircraft with no data.

It's not DCS or MAC or other sim which has realistic FM or systems, it's developer who can code it in realistic way if he has data, SME cooperation, aircraft producer license etc. Or unrealistic, made up, fictional if data are classified and not available, SME won't say anything, produced won't sell license. Tools are already in DCS. You won't make realistic i.e. Raptor regardless of simulator environment available.

That isn't entirely true. One can use a mixture of knowledge about what is physically possible and technologically possible/probable in order to 'interpolate' a best guess.

There might not be detailed flight-test data for the Mig 1.44 - but there is a huge difference between what a serious aeronautical engineer, working with someone who knows fluid dynamics (and has some time to run CFD simulations) would come up with for a flight model and what a typical arcade game developer would.

The same goes for the N014 radar - having an idea of the dish size (likely number of elements), processing power, available power, and doctrine at the time can lead to an approximation of what the radar would have been like that is is much more accurate than making no attempt at realism whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Avimimus said:

That isn't entirely true. One can use a mixture of knowledge about what is physically possible and technologically possible/probable in order to 'interpolate' a best guess.

There might not be detailed flight-test data for the Mig 1.44 - but there is a huge difference between what a serious aeronautical engineer, working with someone who knows fluid dynamics (and has some time to run CFD simulations) would come up with for a flight model and what a typical arcade game developer would.

The same goes for the N014 radar - having an idea of the dish size (likely number of elements), processing power, available power, and doctrine at the time can lead to an approximation of what the radar would have been like that is is much more accurate than making no attempt at realism whatsoever.

Paralay has a partially complete CAD model of the production Mig 1.42. He said he would let me know if he gets the rest. I would like to make an AI asset and make a campaign for the Eurofighter when it releases.

87ABA7B1-F9C8-4D59-8246-3E1BC92294D3.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, F-2 said:

Paralay has a partially complete CAD model of the production Mig 1.42. He said he would let me know if he gets the rest. I would like to make an AI asset and make a campaign for the Eurofighter when it releases.

Very interesting! That means that Paralay's drawings (e.g. the outer wing) are based on more than just interviews!

In terms of late Soviet projects - I always thought the T-12 would be interesting. For one thing, the early versions could re-use the existing cockpit - which would make it easy to make flyable as a mod. Apparently Gunin himself worked on the renders/article - so they should be pretty accurate (if some hindsight hasn't crept in). Anyway, definitely worth a read:

От штурмовика Судного Дня до Штурмовика 90.: pkk_avia — LiveJournal

English translation here:

Sukhoi T-12 | Secret Projects Forum

You might also find this article interesting (although it will haunt your dreams):

Штурмовик Судного дня.: pkk_avia — LiveJournal

3 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Very interesting! That means that Paralay's drawings (e.g. the outer wing) are based on more than just interviews!

In terms of late Soviet projects - I always thought the T-12 would be interesting. For one thing, the early versions could re-use the existing cockpit - which would make it easy to make flyable as a mod. Apparently Gunin himself worked on the renders/article - so they should be pretty accurate (if some hindsight hasn't crept in). Anyway, definitely worth a read:

От штурмовика Судного Дня до Штурмовика 90.: pkk_avia — LiveJournal

English translation here:

Sukhoi T-12 | Secret Projects Forum

You might also find this article interesting (although it will haunt your dreams):

Штурмовик Судного дня.: pkk_avia — LiveJournal

A prop su-25? Yesh

4 minutes ago, F-2 said:

A prop su-25? Yesh

The ones which bother me use cockpit components from helicopters... fever dream stuff. Apparently the designers were asked to do a study about what could be built after a war where most factories are destroyed but a few parts of the production lines survive. So these frankenplanes would be built to police what remained after a major war (think counter-insurgency after a moderate sized nuclear exchange). You can't build helicopters anymore, but part of the factory which can machine an Mi-24 cockpit survives... so you use those parts etc.

A more practical prop (or hybrid) Su-25 competitor is MAI Foton:

Soviet COIN and light Shturmovik Projects | Secret Projects Forum

The basic idea was to reduce cost, target size, and signature through creating the smallest aircraft possible using high lift devices... hybrid jet/turbo-prop... given that the Su-25 often in combat only uses two or four hardpoints these days the reduced payload probably wouldn't have been much of a problem. There is an interesting picture comparing it to a WWII Il-2... interesting to see how much smaller they got it.