AGM-65F + ATFLIR: How to strike 2 co-located targets in one attack run?

LeCuvier
Go to solution Solved by Recluse,

Trying to learn the use of the MAV with ATFLIR. I have 2 targets sitting at Waypoint 2. In the approach, with MAV and ATFLIR active on the MFD's, I designate to waypoint 2 and slew the ATFLIR to the first target. SOI to MAV and Rifle. The first MAV goes and hits the target.
Now I want to strike the 2nd target. I hit the "Undesignate" button, slew the ATFLIR to the 2nd target, SOI and Rifle. The 2nd MAV goes and hits the first target which is already dead.
I have tried this several times with some little variations, but the 2nd MAV never hits the 2nd taget.
What am I doing wrong?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

47 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Are you 100% sure you are locking up the second target with the second Mav? There is no reason in DCS why it would change the target. 

I'm not sure at all, and I can't really tell because visibility on the MAV display is rather poor in my perception. Do I actually have to designate the 2nd target in the MAV display?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I'm not sure at all, and I can't really tell because visibility on the MAV display is rather poor in my perception. Do I actually have to designate the 2nd target in the MAV display?
The missile will guide to whatever object its seeker is tracking. The A/G designation you're creating with the ATFLIR merely serves to slew the seeker towards that point, but you still need to make sure that the missile seeker is tracking the desired object. If the seeker is not switching to the new designation, you might need to cage it and then uncage it again.

The seeker quality is not the best indeed, but that's to be expected, it's a disposable seeker, after all. You can zoom in with the FOV command if the seeker is not tracking an object, but that's just about it. You may also want to fly closer in order to have a better picture.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• Solution
2 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

Trying to learn the use of the MAV with ATFLIR. I have 2 targets sitting at Waypoint 2. In the approach, with MAV and ATFLIR active on the MFD's, I designate to waypoint 2 and slew the ATFLIR to the first target. SOI to MAV and Rifle. The first MAV goes and hits the target.
Now I want to strike the 2nd target. I hit the "Undesignate" button, slew the ATFLIR to the 2nd target, SOI and Rifle. The 2nd MAV goes and hits the first target which is already dead.
I have tried this several times with some little variations, but the 2nd MAV never hits the 2nd taget.
What am I doing wrong?

Are you doing a TDC depress on the FLIR when you slew to the second target? If you don't it won't re-cue the Maverick.  I find sometimes even if I do Target Designate, I need to CAGE/UNCAGE the Maverick seeker once to get it to re-cue.

Though it is problematic with the Maverick Seeker resolution, you might have better success slewing the Maverick Seeker directly to the second target since it is close.  On the first UNDESIGNATE, the MAV seeker remains Ground Stabilized so you could Slew it sllightly and let it lock up the next target.  I also prefer using the TPOD for the better resolution, but I often run out of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Recluse said:

Are you doing a TDC depress on the FLIR when you slew to the second target?

Yes, certainly.

LeCuvier

2 hours ago, Recluse said:

...I find sometimes even if I do Target Designate, I need to CAGE/UNCAGE the Maverick seeker once to get it to re-cue.

This worked for me!
Thanks!

• Like 2

LeCuvier

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2023 at 9:04 AM, Recluse said:

I find sometimes even if I do Target Designate, I need to CAGE/UNCAGE the Maverick seeker once to get it to re-cue.

Well dang, I love to learn something new. this seems to me to be similar to rebooting a PC or other device to get it to do what I was expecting. Thanks Recluse.

I'm glad it was helpful. Another related thing I have noticed:

For the first AGM-65F fired, when you SCS to put TDC on the MAV WPN page, it automatically uncages the seeker. For subsequent shots, you often have to manually uncage the seeker. I think this is what gave me the clue to CAGE/UNCAGE even when it seemed like the seeker was looking at something.

• Like 1