Meta Quest Pro Settings

Ginsu80

11 hours ago, sze5003 said:

Third round of testing tonight I disabled HAGS. When I started some missions everything seemed much smoother. Very slight audio stutter and when it wasn't 90fps and went down, it would stick to 45fps. Overall flying was not jerky and I had much less audio stutter and micro stutters.

So I started lowering the bitrate. Didn't notice much of a difference in visuals at 690 from 740. There were still some audio stutters but then as time passes and I kept trying more missions, things started getting worse.

I kept dropping the bitrate but it was not helping at all. Eventually even if I closed out of dcs and relaunched it, it would end up with very bad performance.

It got so bad I was getting constant drops in the DCS main menu to the point that it lagged looking around so much. I would get the spinning hourglass glass then a side of black as I turned my head. Frame time graph looked insane.

So then I found the non multithreaded binary and launched that.

With the non mt version of the sim, everything was smooth. 90fps easily up high and around 45 as asw kicked in in low and populated areas. Flying was smooth, no stutters, barely any audio drop outs that I exited and lowered my bitrate anyway. Went back in and had no problems everything looked great, clear and flying was as it should be. Didn't have to turn down any settings.

So there's definitely something wrong with the multithreaded version of dcs for me.

I all ways fly none MT version on the q pro and is sweet as a nut.

I all ways fly none MT version on the q pro and is sweet as a nut.
Someone in the VR4DCS discord said in Nvidia control panel you want to turn on threaded optimization. I have not tried it but I'm glad to see that my issues were not from my system or from the USB C cable or headset.

It was multithreaded dcs that seems to have some type of memory leak. Because with HAGS off it started out fine and the longer I flew, the worse it got.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I’m wondering, if I download 2.9 and don’t touch any of the new settings will DCS still run as well as it did before? 

I honestly don’t have the time for tinkering at the moment and the internet connection is something like 5mbs in my shed so it’d probably take all day to download. But I do want to check out the new Spitfire.

Edited by Digitalvole

I’m wondering, if I download 2.9 and don’t touch any of the new settings will DCS still run as well as it did before?
I honestly don’t have the time for tinkering at the moment but I do want to check out the new Spitfire. My internet connection is something like 5mbs in my shed so it’d probably take all day to download.
Just make sure you launch the non multithreaded version. The regular bin folder should have the executable which is not mt.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Thanks @sze5003, glad to see you’re making progress with the QP. Out of the 4 headsets I’ve owned it was deffo the biggest pain in the butt to get working nicely. Is MT being borked new to 2.9? MT was fine for me in 2.8.

I really just want to be able to use my settings from before regarding everything (DCS, OXRTK, QVFR etc) and have a quick whizz around in the Spit. Possible or is some jiggery pokery a requirement? 

Thanks @sze5003, glad to see you’re making progress with the QP. Out of the 4 headsets I’ve owned it was deffo the biggest pain in the butt to get working nicely. Is MT being borked new to 2.9? MT was fine for me in 2.8.
I really just want to be able to use my settings from before regarding everything (DCS, OXRTK, QVFR etc) and have a quick whizz around in the Spit. Possible or is some jiggery pokery a requirement? 
You will have to try it honestly. Just don't touch the settings in graphics options and they should remain intact from your 2.8.

My 2.9 installation was fresh on an SSD and my impressions of it was that the reason I was having all the stutters and slide show in VR was because of the multithreaded version.

Didn't have any issues with 2.9 in non multithreaded and that's what I'll be using. I still need to tweak it but besides disabling HAGS I didn't change any of my graphics settings in DCS or oculus debug tool (aside from bitrate).

No I didn't want to complicate things with testing the headset to see what could be causing my issues.

Once I dial it in some more and im happy with the way it looks and runs I'll install openxr toolkit and DFR.

Received quest pro today. First impressions weren't too good compared to quest 2 just tinkering with settings in standalone mode, the FOV is better but I didn't see much more difference at first. Then I loaded into the F16 and oh boy are things easier to read, the lens and increased pixel density are actually there. At this point I was feeling better about the purchase but not totally sold. Then I installed QVF and oh my god it's night and day. For context I'm on a 3080Ti and 12400F. I was able to play in multiplayer busy server for a couple hours at 90hz ASW locked at 45 with the render resolution maxed out at 1.5x and it was smooth as butter. I used to run 72hz and even then I'd get drops when low flying. I can't overstate the performance leap. I noticed that the area that is not high res is actually noticeable, though you have to kinda look for it and it's possibly because I run link sharpening + DLAA and it causes shimmer due to the pixelated area, but still the eye tracking is not as instant as I expected. I imagine future headsets will increase the polling rate and make it actually impossible to see it. 

The one thing I'm not too happy about is the local dimming. The halo around bright objects against a dark background is very noticeable. This is specially bad with the HMD (tried both F16 and F18), as it makes it look as though there's a moon behind a cloud anywhere you look at. With a starry night (I tried persion gulf case 3 recovery in instant action), the whole of the sky has a bloom to it, as any star causes the entire area around it to light up. What's even more disappointing is that turning local dimming off just makes everything light up completely, as if I had turned up the brightness on the display to "overdrive" and light is leaking all over the place. It almost feels as if local dimming is a technology designed to try to mask the shortcomings of the panel, e.g turn off some of the lights when there's nothing there because it leaks so much it's otherwise terrible. This is a non-issue during day though.

I'm also not impressed with the comfort, but I'll buy the globular cluster comfort kit and hopefully it'll fix the issue.

All in all I'm happy enough with the upgrade, the eye tracking by itself is worth the upgrade, and everything else (better lens, better pixel density is a bonus). If you're thinking of upgrading from literally anything without eye tracking, it's a no-brainer. Keep in mind because the Quest Pro flopped as a product and the Quest 3 has now been released and is better for literally everyone except DCS players (PCVR with QVF) the prices on eBay are crashing, I got mine for 500$!!

Edited by halufpv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, halufpv said:

Received quest pro today. First impressions weren't too good compared to quest 2 just tinkering with settings in standalone mode, the FOV is better but I didn't see much more difference at first. Then I loaded into the F16 and oh boy are things easier to read, the lens and increased pixel density are actually there. At this point I was feeling better about the purchase but not totally sold. Then I installed QVF and oh my god it's night and day. For context I'm on a 3080Ti and 12400F. I was able to play in multiplayer busy server for a couple hours at 90hz ASW locked at 45 with the render resolution maxed out at 1.5x and it was smooth as butter. I used to run 72hz and even then I'd get drops when low flying. I can't overstate the performance leap. I noticed that the area that is not high res is actually noticeable, though you have to kinda look for it and it's possibly because I run link sharpening + DLAA and it causes shimmer due to the pixelated area, but still the eye tracking is not as instant as I expected. I imagine future headsets will increase the polling rate and make it actually impossible to see it. 

The one thing I'm not too happy about is the local dimming. The halo around bright objects against a dark background is very noticeable. This is specially bad with the HMD (tried both F16 and F18), as it makes it look as though there's a moon behind a cloud anywhere you look at. With a starry night (I tried persion gulf case 3 recovery in instant action), the whole of the sky has a bloom to it, as any star causes the entire area around it to light up. What's even more disappointing is that turning local dimming off just makes everything light up completely, as if I had turned up the brightness on the display to "overdrive" and light is leaking all over the place. It almost feels as if local dimming is a technology designed to try to mask the shortcomings of the panel, e.g turn off some of the lights when there's nothing there because it leaks so much it's otherwise terrible. This is a non-issue during day though.

I'm also not impressed with the comfort, but I'll buy the globular cluster comfort kit and hopefully it'll fix the issue.

All in all I'm happy enough with the upgrade, the eye tracking by itself is worth the upgrade, and everything else (better lens, better pixel density is a bonus). If you're thinking of upgrading from literally anything without eye tracking, it's a no-brainer. Keep in mind because the Quest Pro flopped as a product and the Quest 3 has now been released and is better for literally everyone except DCS players (PCVR with QVF) the prices on eBay are crashing, I got mine for 500$!!

Nailed it on the eye-tracking assessment with the Quest Pro; it's indeed a game-changer. Although the relevance might be diminished for DCS, the QP controllers compared to the Q3's are much better

The Quest 3 does feature lenses that have a similar feel, but with some compromises. It offers a higher pixel density, but falls short in terms of color gamut. The passthrough is also significantly better than the pro. The closed-in design of Q3 versus the cat-ear curtains of the Pro, boil down to personal preference. I do like the Pro for its ventilation and the ability to peek through to the real-world switches and my kneeboard.

If I had to choose today, I'd likely go for a second-hand Quest Pro over a brand-new Quest 3, even if their prices are comparable. The eye-tracking polling rate might not be instantaneous, but coupled with DLAA shimmer reduction, any imperfection becomes almost indiscernible over time – similar to how I got used to the notch on a MacBook Pro.

Ultimately, both are great options. The prospect of using Virtual Desktop to forgo the need for a cable connection enhances their appeal. It's definitely the point of diminishing return, you have to spend a lot more to get a bit better headset

Edited by nikoel

Hi,

I might get a Quest Pro tomorrow and I already try to read myself into as much information as possible as how to set it up. There is that video from a spanish guy on youtube (and mwaybe he is here as well) who states, hat one needs a MEta Developer Account in order to take advantage of mbucchias Quad view because the eye trcking would be a hidden feature of the QP. i don`t quite understand this, since DFR is an official feature of the QP on the Meta Website. 

Is this still correct?

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

Hi,
I might get a Quest Pro tomorrow and I already try to read myself into as much information as possible as how to set it up. There is that video from a spanish guy on youtube (and mwaybe he is here as well) who states, hat one needs a MEta Developer Account in order to take advantage of mbucchias Quad view because the eye trcking would be a hidden feature of the QP. i don`t quite understand this, since DFR is an official feature of the QP on the Meta Website. 
Is this still correct?
I know at one point you needed a developer account to enable eye tracking on the headset. I got Pro new a week ago and eye tracking is already enabled by default once you update to the latest software. I can turn it on and off from the headset dashboard.

Although I did not install quad views yet myself. Mainly because I have a lot of stutter and fps drops and spikes in multithreaded DCS version and sometimes it gets so bad that it drops to 5 fps in the main menu in VR and I have to force quit it. DFR needs the multithreaded version of dcs to work properly.

Just a heads up with his YouTube video settings, that bitrate did not work for me (960) and I don't think those are his current settings anymore.

You can crank the resolution in oculus home to 1.5 and then change the bitrate as you see fit so you don't get any audio crackling or visual artifacts. Really no need to set resolution encode width either in the debug tool.

Sorry if I sound a bit lazy, but this is a 22 page thread and it‘s kind off hard to keep track of what people suggest. Let alone those phases, where people start argueing with on another about what a certain setting actually does.

What I find confusing in the first place is, that there seems to be a resolution setting in Oculus Home and then another one in the Oculus Tray tool.

Also is ASW the same as Motion Reprojection? Won‘t that interfere with the MR setting in OXR Toolkit? Does one just turn it off in OXR toolkit and then ASW does its thing?

Edited by Phantom711

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

2 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

Oculus Home and then another one in the Oculus Tray tool

They both do the same thing. The tray tool will over write the Oculus app. This is why we suggest changing one thing in one place only.

is ASW the same as Motion Reprojection

Yes.

MR setting in OXR Toolkit

No.

Just use the ODT. I just leave it on auto. You'll find leaving most of the Oculus settings on default is sufficient.

Don't over think it.

Somehow Foveated rendering in OpenXR has stopped working. Whole screen is now clear (no blurry edges). What did I do wrong?

I also have installed OpenXR-Quad-Views-Foveated, if there is any conenction.

I think of uninstalling all these app, since I don't know what else to do.

Hi again...

So I got my QP today and started setting it up, but I am at a loss here:

What is that "Oculus Home" that people refer to and where one would use that Render Resolution slider? If I google it only "VR Home" comes up, but that seems to be for the Rift only? I thought maybe all that stuff is selected via the App on the cellphone, but doesn`t seem to be the case.

During the setupp there was also no mentioning of a software download (other than the Meta App). When I am in the headset there is only some Horizon something, but could not find any other setup stuff. 

Why is all this always so ridiculously difficult.

image.png

Hi again...
So I got my QP today and started setting it up, but I am at a loss here:
What is that "Oculus Home" that people refer to and where one would use that Render Resolution slider? If I google it only "VR Home" comes up, but that seems to be for the Rift only? I thought maybe all that stuff is selected via the App on the cellphone, but doesn`t seem to be the case.
During the setupp there was also no mentioning of a software download (other than the Meta App). When I am in the headset there is only some Horizon something, but could not find any other setup stuff. 
Why is all this always so ridiculously difficult.
You need to download it from here on the PC. It's not mentioned anymore because oculus headsets past the rift pretty much became standalone.

https://www.oculus.com/rift/setup/

@sze5003

Thanks for your help and patience. I got it running now....and I even got Quad view running. 🙂

Only thing is, with quad view I get some unreadable white text at my lower left. I can not read it really since it jumps away as soon as I try to focus my eyes there. So it seems to be bound to eye tracking somehow. Anybody else has this? Can I get rid of it somehow? @mbucchia

image.png

Ok...one mystery after the other gets solved. the answer to my last question got answered in the QVFR thread.

Now I remember that someone once posted a pic and reported some strange shimmer/artefacting when ASW kicked in. Unfortunately I can not find that anymore and can`t recall if there was a solution either. I have that as well now sometimes...it`s mainly when looking to the side.

image.png

12 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

Ok...one mystery after the other gets solved. the answer to my last question got answered in the QVFR thread.

Now I remember that someone once posted a pic and reported some strange shimmer/artefacting when ASW kicked in. Unfortunately I can not find that anymore and can`t recall if there was a solution either. I have that as well now sometimes...it`s mainly when looking to the side.

It sounds like it might be this https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/ASW-is-completely-broken-and-creates-artefacts-that-prevents-me/m-p/997414#M174609

In which case there isn't a solution yet unfortunately 

RTX 4090, AMD 5800x3D, 32GB Ram 

I've tried unparking all my cores in an attempt to see if the microstutters that happen in MT DCS will go away.

Unfortunately this did not resolve anything for me. I still get a lot of intermittent microstutters and the only time I don't see them is when I'm only getting 90fps.

Even if ASW kicks in and I'm at 45fps as the perf fps built in chart of dcs shows, I still get microstutters so I'm wondering if having asw on could be the cause.