Monitor advice 1080 vs 1440

Hi guys,

Looking for advice on new monitor. I'm planning to get a new 27 inch screen but not sure should I go with 1080 or 1440? I have a 3060ti and planing to upgrade to i5 13600kf with 32 ram in the next 6 month. What do you guys think would be more worth it? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

1440p requires a bit more performance but I think it’s worth it, there’s a noticeable improvement in definition especially on bigger monitors. I tried 1080 and 1440 side by side on 27” as I had the same doubt. I run on a gtx1080, not sure how it compares to a 3060ti, but FPS are good on mine.

I used a 27" 1440p for a long time with a 1080ti. Was kind of the sweet spot in my opinion. It´s a big improvement over 1080p and the 1080ti handled it just fine, I guess a 3060ti should be similar if not better.

• Like 1

I switched from 1080 to 1440p last year and it's MUCH better. In DCS, but also for movies, etc. It's no problem with a 3060ti, you should still get good FPS with high to ultra settings. I have a 2080, which is slightly worse. I also have a 27" screen. Was thinking about getting 32", but I read that it looks worse because of less PPI.

Edited by TheFreshPrince

There would be no setback if you go for the 1440p monitor with your 3060ti.
I changed my monitor from 1080p to 1440p early this year and the improvement in clarity and picture quality is really noticeable. I am using rtx 3070 with r5 5600 cpu and 32g ram. Your 3060ti is very close to my 3070 in performance. Fps get into the 100s in the air. 70-80fps on the ground/super carrier most times on medium-high graphic setrings in dcs.

Ryzen 5 5600: RTX 3070: 32g Ram: Virpil Cm3 Throttle :Thrustmaster warthog flight stick: Thrustmaster TFRP rudder:Samsung Odyssey plus Vr headset :

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate it. A bit off topic question, but still. Does anyone have an idea why my gpu is always only 20-30% utilised? I do have an old cpu atm, i7 4770 and 32gb ram. I feel like its just a waste at the moment, I know cpu is old, but really? Such a little use of gpu...Or if anyone could point me in the right direction on forum please. Cheers!

23 minutes ago, nikita_nomad said:

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate it. A bit off topic question, but still. Does anyone have an idea why my gpu is always only 20-30% utilised? I do have an old cpu atm, i7 4770 and 32gb ram. I feel like its just a waste at the moment, I know cpu is old, but really? Such a little use of gpu...Or if anyone could point me in the right direction on forum please. Cheers!

Can't help you there, I'm afraid, but as to your original question, I went from 1080p to 1440p and there is a clear uptick in eye candy and general deliciousness of the sim. If you're in one of the fancier jets like the Hornet, the cockpit gets an instant boost. The lighting, the MFDs, it's all crisp and lovely. There's no going back.

And your GPU is better than mine and I have very enjoyable flights.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Have to know more to be certain, but I'd be willing to bet your GPU is so underutilized because it's being 'starved' to death by the CPU.

The 3060Ti, while not 'top-of-the-line', is a very capable card.  In a (perhaps misguided) effort to get "more FPS" people often upgrade GPUs way beyond what a CPU is capable of keeping up with.  It's not as simple as putting in a better GPU to increase FPS...the CPU/GPU act as a pair, and need to be 'matched'.  I believe it's likely that a 7700 is fairly 'overmatched' by a 3060Ti.

The CPU is probably working his rear end off, and still far from able to 'feed' data fast enough to the GPU...so the 3060Ti is sitting there bored.

It sounds like what a lot of people refer to as CPU "bottlenecked" (though I really dislike that term because it implies other things that also aren't really accurate).  I prefer 'mismatched' because I think it more accurately describes what's really taking place.

Mind you, that's a guess and it really could be way off, as it depends a lot on what else is going on with the system as a whole...but, assuming everything else is in reasonable order, I'd say your CPU and GPU are pretty horribly mismatched 😉

On the original question:  IMHO once you get up into the higher-end 30 series GPUs or beyond, the gain in performance at 1080p starts to diminish.  Reviews at the time of the 30-series debut almost universally noted this...and concluded that newer GPUs really perform their best at higher resolutions.

So that would all suggest you'd be better going 1440p.

• Like 1

Free professional advice: Do not rely upon any advice concerning computers from anyone who uses the terms "beast" or "rocking" to refer to computer hardware.  Just...don't.  You've been warned.

While we're at it, people should stop using the term "uplift" to convey "increase".  This is a technical endeavor, we're not in church or at the movies - and it's science, not drama.

In regards to your GPU utilization question, absolutely what kksnowbear said. Also your GPU is currently only rendering in 1080p which is further exacerbating the CPU bottleneck. Switch to 1440p panel and upgrade your CPU you will see a massive difference.

Btw have you tried launching the game in the recently released muti thread version? That should help your older CPU.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

Thanks a lot for all the input. That was my guess on gpu usage as well. Athough I didn't expect it to be so dramatic. I went with 30x series gpu only because I knew that cpu is next in the line of upgrades. And yeah I will go for a 1440p res definetely. I tried MT version and it makes no difference in frames, however task manager shows increase in cpu usage from around 50 to 75% now. But it makes no difference in fps or at least not enough for me even to notice. If I run a free flight instant action mission frames are way better and gpu is loaded way more but still at around 50%. So I guess it indicates that cpu is struggling less and hence the improvement.