G2 reverb VR multithreading - virtually no improvement

My G2 is totally black after I start DCS MT in VR mode. There are graphics on monitor but not in G2, I can see that Su-27 on the monitor but in G2 just black. The movement of the VR headset can also be seen on the monitor. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@JCTherik, what switches, if any, do you specify for \bin-mt\DCS.exe ?

I'm crashing with the HP G2 and the Rift S !

2D runs fine...

Edited by Jack McCoy
typo

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

So, an update. I think i was running single threaded version with OpenXR upscaling, whereas the MT has default settings, which would explain the lackluster increase in performance - it's rendering more pixels.

On the same note, I also discovered that changing some settings in the in-game openxr menu likes to crash the game, and openxr safe mode and resetting settings tends to be required.

Create a shortcut with these parameters for the MT exe.  Put the shortcut on your desktop or a DCS Repair may delete it. 

My G2 is working great with the MT build.  I am even getting great results with Motion Reprojection.  I have my headset at 60hz, and I'm getting 60fps in VR on my PG Dogfight mission.  I've added 75% NIS scaling in OXRTK, nothing more.  Low Terrain Texture resolution in game settings helps.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 084845.png

Edited by Glide

4 hours ago, Glide said:

Create a shortcut with these parameters for the MT exe.  Put the shortcut on your desktop or a DCS Repair may delete it. 

My G2 is working great with the MT build.  I am even getting great results with Motion Reprojection.  I have my headset at 60hz, and I'm getting 60fps in VR on my PG Dogfight mission.  I've added 75% NIS scaling in OXRTK, nothing more.  Low Terrain Texture resolution in game settings helps.

That's what I have,  --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

So, I'm doing more testing, and what you're saying is interesting. I can't change resolution settings in the openxr because any setting change just basically crashes the game on startup. I have to run openxr in safe mode.

Same is now happening in the ST build too - if the openxr ingame menu isn't on default resolution, i get what looks like a segfault.

I can't change NIX scaling - hard crash. I can enable motion reprojection on locked 30fps in single player but it looks like an acid trip in helicopters, the top half of the screen looks like it's is basically made of liquid due to the rotor.

If i keep the same settings everywhere, the MT does technically have slightly better performance on paper, but it's extremely inconsistent, it seems like every odd frame takes much longer than the even ones. In ST, the fps chart is fairly straight. In MT, it looks like a seismograph during an earthquake. Even if i drop pixel density to the point that I'm getting 60fps in MT, it still looks more choppy than ST in 35 fps.

I also get big flashing "CPU BOUND" that's flickering between red and orange.

Also, during loading, the entire game flickers between bright and dark for several seconds, somehow it may be related.

It's very disappointing cause everyone's having fun and i spent like 10 hours this weekend trying every which way to run this but all i get is crashes and stutters.

I found the default WMR OpenXR choppy with my Reverb G1 using motion reprojection. Switching to the SteamVR OpenXR runtime fixed it and I get better frame rates with MT.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, JCTherik said:

I have to run openxr in safe mode

Just to clarify your setup, you have OpenXR which comes with Windows, and you have OpenXR Tools from the MS Store to allow you to change your resolution.  And you have OpenXR Toolkit (Github) for all the goodies it brings (I have it set to 75% CAS in this shot with no Turbo Mode).

I tested 75% OXR/75% NIS with Tubro Mode ON and got a solid 60fps.  When I bumped it up to 80/80, it was getting ~55 fps in the AH-64D.  So, my sweet spot with the 3080Ti is 75/75.  Note the numbers may be different for your hardware.  Just to make the math simple, if you have 100 pixels, and you set OpenXR to 75%, it's like running a 4k monitor at 3k (75 pixels).  NIS 75% tells the card to render at (.75 x 75) 55.5 pixels, and scale up to 75 pixels.  Play with the numbers until you get the best results.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 093348.png

Screenshot 2023-03-12 134938.png

DCS World_20230217_103104_CAS_100_75_R.png

DCS World_20230312_122519_NIS_75_0_R.png

Edited by Glide
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JCTherik said:

Even if i drop pixel density to the point

I leave the VR settings in Game at defaults.  Also, I have ALL shadows turned off in this test with Ambient Occlusion and Light Reflections ON.  I also have Low Latency Mode = Ultra in the NCP which should take the heat off the GPU a bit (prevents the card from buffering frames, just like Framerate Limits do).  And, I had to add the bin-MT FOLDER to the NCP so it would not conflict with the default DCS.exe settings.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 141259.png

Edited by Glide

hace 2 horas, Baldrick33 dijo:

I found the default WMR OpenXR choppy with my Reverb G1 using motion reprojection. Switching to the SteamVR OpenXR runtime fixed it and I get better frame rates with MT.

I'm having quite a few problems with openXR on my G1; heavy stuttering, ghosting and about 45 fps max

I don't know why but just using openxr + steamVR I get a good experience.

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

I'm confused as to where to place this:  --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

If I add it to the Target window of the shortcut like this: "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe"--force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

when I hit apply it says "Problem with shortcut ...  not valid"

5 minutes ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

I'm confused as to where to place this:  --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

If I add it to the Target window of the shortcut like this: "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe"--force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

when I hit apply it says "Problem with shortcut ...  not valid"

You need a space between the last “ and the —force_enable_VR

Here's mine.  I have found that even MSAA x2 causes a slight stutter in the ground, so I have ALL shadows off, AA off, SSAO off, SSLR off, Anisotropic Filtering x16 (to help with the jaggies), and Turbo Mode ON in the OpenXR Toolkit.  Upscaling creates color banding in the sky textures, so I have it at 100% (no scaling) with Sharpening to taste.  At 60hz I am getting a solid 60fps with my G2 and 3080Ti.  Also, Low Terrain Textures helps quite a bit. 

Screenshot 2023-03-12 084845.png

Edited by Glide

I disabled motion reprojection like said Edmuss in this excelend thrad about OpenXR and it seems that all the stuttering problems were gone.

• Like 1

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

On 3/11/2023 at 4:22 AM, Shadowless said:

My G2 is totally black after I start DCS MT in VR mode. There are graphics on monitor but not in G2, I can see that Su-27 on the monitor but in G2 just black. The movement of the VR headset can also be seen on the monitor. 

I have the same once in a while; maybe 1 out for 4 times. Then I have to restart DCS and usually its ok.

On 3/11/2023 at 3:22 AM, Shadowless said:

I get this also, with the odd random occasion when MT has booted.  Not sure what is going on and nowhere near smart enough with computers/IT  to be able to work it out