Quest Pro vs G2 Impressions - 4090/7950x3D

DirtyMike0330

23 hours ago, ismaeljorda said:

Sorry! I couldn't record anything with the QUEST PRO since I was at my friend's house. The video is just to illustrate the narrative of my experience. But don't worry, when my own QUEST PRO arrive I'll make videos with it and a much more in-depth review.

Looking at the vid, it seems someone has the same concern as I do...

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

My G2 cable died on me about a month ago. I ordered a replacement which would take a week to arrive. I then found the Quest Pro had been reduced significantly and was available with 12-month interest-free via Amazon plus I could return it being Amazon supplied but also there was a 30-day no-quibble return promotion from Meta. So it was a win-win for me to order the Quest Pro to arrive the next day and I would have something to use during my holidays.

So I used the Quest Pro for a week waiting for the replacement G2 cable to arrive. When the cable arrived, I plugged it in to check the G2 was working. It was.... and then I disconnected it and packed it away because the Quest Pro is soooo much better!

I absolutely hate Fresnel lenses with their tiny sweet spots now. They are awful compared to the edge-to-edge in-focus Quest Pro displays. I can see my keyboard without pulling up the HMD. My lenses/glasses don't get fogged up! I can use the full mask, partial mask or no mask if I want to and I mostly fly without any mask unless it is a night mission.

I found it uncomfortable at first. I eventually added a velcro strap across the top which has helped immensely.

Tracking is superb.

Sharpness is great once you bump up the supersampling to 1.3x.

Oh, and I can run MSAAx4 at 72Hz! Impossible with the G2. It will stay at 72Hz in the air and drop down to 36Hz (motion reprojection/ASW) when low over towns/cities as would the G2 but be at 72Hz on airfields more that the G2 could remain at 45Hz. That means little shimmering compared to the G2.

The icing on the cake.... hand tracking and gestures! I can throw switches and turn dials with my hands in VR!

The battery is no problem for me as I use a USB-C cable to charge and link to the PC. I hear that the latest Oculus beta has improved Airlink so it should be quick enough for flight sims. You could attach an additional battery back to the headset for extra flight time if you wanted. I will probably stick to tethered USB-C cable.

I have absolutely no intention of reverting back to the G2.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, slughead said:

Sharpness is great once you bump up the supersampling to 1.3x

Are you using OTT to set this?

what about the resolution used in the headset?  Thanks

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

5 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Are you using OTT to set this?

what about the resolution used in the headset?  Thanks

No. You can set the render resolution in the Oculus app. I found that I have no need for the Oculus Tool Tray app after using it for a while.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, slughead said:

My G2 cable died on me about a month ago. I ordered a replacement which would take a week to arrive. I then found the Quest Pro had been reduced significantly and was available with 12-month interest-free via Amazon plus I could return it being Amazon supplied but also there was a 30-day no-quibble return promotion from Meta. So it was a win-win for me to order the Quest Pro to arrive the next day and I would have something to use during my holidays.

So I used the Quest Pro for a week waiting for the replacement G2 cable to arrive. When the cable arrived, I plugged it in to check the G2 was working. It was.... and then I disconnected it and packed it away because the Quest Pro is soooo much better!

I absolutely hate Fresnel lenses with their tiny sweet spots now. They are awful compared to the edge-to-edge in-focus Quest Pro displays. I can see my keyboard without pulling up the HMD. My lenses/glasses don't get fogged up! I can use the full mask, partial mask or no mask if I want to and I mostly fly without any mask unless it is a night mission.

I found it uncomfortable at first. I eventually added a velcro strap across the top which has helped immensely.

Tracking is superb.

Oh, and I can run MSAAx4 at 72Hz! Impossible with the G2. It will stay at 72Hz in the air and drop down to 36Hz (motion reprojection/ASW) when low over towns/cities as would the G2 but be at 72Hz on airfields more that the G2 could remain at 45Hz. That means little shimmering compared to the G2.

The icing on the cake.... hand tracking and gestures! I can throw switches and turn dials with my hands in VR!

The battery is no problem for me as I use a USB-C cable to charge and link to the PC. I hear that the latest Oculus beta has improved Airlink so it should be quick enough for flight sims. You could attach an additional battery back to the headset for extra flight time if you wanted. I will probably stick to tethered USB-C cable.

I tried the Kuject cable that everyone recommended but still lost battery too fast.

However, this little gem here… 

Minisopuru Powered USB C Hub,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS9C9RBZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I can play all day if I want to and maintain battery level, sometimes even gain a few percent. It pushes close to 10 amps actively charging the QP while you’re playing. 

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

20 hours ago, slughead said:

Tracking is superb.

Hey Slug, I am thinking of biting the bullet as well, but no one with AMD graphics card that I know of has opted for the QP, what are you running nowadays hardware-wise?

A supercomputer or something a little more humble?

12 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Hey Slug, I am thinking of biting the bullet as well, but no one with AMD graphics card that I know of has opted for the QP, what are you running nowadays hardware-wise?

Supercomputer. Not AMD though.

• Asus TUF RTX4090 (the Zotac AMP AIRO Extreme became unreliable).
  • i9-13900K
  • Gigabyte Z790 UD AX
  • 64GB DDR5 @ 5200MHz (XMP profile) (2 sticks in total)
  • A couple of 1TB NVME SSD drives - Windows 11 on one and DCS on the other.

No overclocking just stock speeds.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if you really need a supercomputer to drive a QP given that the resolution is not much different to Q2

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

12 hours ago, nikoel said:

I just bought and installed the QP. 
Spent most of the time messing with X-Plane 11. 
Next step is DCS. 
My PC:

AMD 6950xt
AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
MSI x570s Tomahawk Max mobo
32gig 2x D4 3600 C18 RAM
Samsung 2tb SSD
850w power supply

Edited by gear_monkey

Win 10 64bit; 32 GB DDR4 3200 Ram; ASUS MoBo; 1TB SSD;Intel i7 8700K; GTX 1080ti 11GB; Thrustmaster Warthog;Odyssey + VR

15 minutes ago, gear_monkey said:

Next step is DCS. 
My PC:

AMD 6950xt
AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
32gig 2x D4 3600 C18 RAM
Samsung 2tb SSD
850w power supply

Yay! My setup is identical to yours

let me know how you get on 😄 

On 5/1/2023 at 10:39 AM, gear_monkey said:

Next step is DCS. 
My PC:

AMD 6950xt
AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
32gig 2x D4 3600 C18 RAM
Samsung 2tb SSD
850w power supply

So what's the verdict Brochachi?

I am actually about to press play on the darn thing myself. But the only thing that I don't like about it is that I learned the ways of  @edmuss and have the force powers to tolerate the G2 @ 60hz. So I have been flying with pure smoothness and no artefacts in DCS ever since the new MT Beta Dropped. I see that we only have 72(4?) hz and 120 so I will be back to tearing. I think I should be able to subside this by locking 60FPS with adrenaline chill

It's interesting to see all of this buzz around the Quest Pro after the lukewarm reception at launch - I'm considering 'renting' a Pro as a result of this thread. A quick question before I do, has anyone been able to get NobiOne's Necksafer app working with the Quest Pro? Unfortunately I need it to play due to a neck injury that's led to some chronic issues which has, frustratingly limited my HMD choices somewhat.

Aaaaaaaagh! This thing cost more than my first car

After doing a lot more research and seeing the recent firmware updates, Quest Pro has become the obvious choice for me.

If I were to summarise it in one sentence - It's the anti-spec/pimax headset where the manufacturer wanted to create a good product, rather than one that looks impressive on paper. Too bad Meta insists on using lethargic homing pigeons for their deliveries, I will be waiting for a while 😕 

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 14.15.57.png

Hint:try eBay...

25 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Hint:try eBay...

Already did. No Quest Pro for sale in the Australia Ebay Store. Either way I already bought it direct from Meta

A question for the experts in regards to the pincushion effect and resolution scaling. Some headsets, like the HP Reverb G2, use lenses that produce pincushion distortion, which can be corrected with software. This correction can result in a reduction in effective resolution, which is why Steam VR applies a resolution scaling factor of 1.3x thus 2160 x 2160 per eye becomes approximately just over ~3000x3000 

Does the same scaling factor need to be applied for the 🥞lenses inside the Quest Pro to compensate for this or do the optics do a good job at native?

Very well then, still pushing my luck over at eBay…I run Q2 at high 1.3x at 90Hz, fyi.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nikoel said:

Already did. No Quest Pro for sale in the Australia Ebay Store. Either way I already bought it direct from Meta

A question for the experts in regards to the pincushion effect and resolution scaling. Some headsets, like the HP Reverb G2, use lenses that produce pincushion distortion, which can be corrected with software. This correction can result in a reduction in effective resolution, which is why Steam VR applies a resolution scaling factor of 1.3x thus 2160 x 2160 per eye becomes approximately just over ~3000x3000 

Does the same scaling factor need to be applied for the 🥞lenses inside the Quest Pro to compensate for this or do the optics do a good job at native?

I can't say that I've noticed any pincushion/distortion although I haven't been looking for any. All I have done is increase the render resolution to make the image sharp, i.e., remove any fuzziness in the DED.

Aaaaaaaagh! This thing cost more than my first car
After doing a lot more research and seeing the recent firmware updates, Quest Pro has become the obvious choice for me.
If I were to summarise it in one sentence - It's the anti-spec/pimax headset where the manufacturer wanted to create a good product, rather than one that looks impressive on paper. Too bad Meta insists on using lethargic homing pigeons for their deliveries, I will be waiting for a while  
Screenshot2023-05-08at14_15_57.thumb.png.7ab6a499cd2862b41c873346c3e09292.png

Similarly waiting for mine to arrive in Australia. After seeing the reviews and contemplating a Varjo Aero I figured not much to lose given if it’s not worth it I can return it.

Will be interesting having used the Rift S (which to be honest was a great VR experience in DCS), Quest 2, Reverb, Reverb G2 (both of which are great in the sweet spot but a blurry mess outside it and moving your head to glance at instruments just feels wrong) and Pico 4 (which has OK edge to edge clarity but has some issues particularly with dynamic range and text reproduction).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So mine arrived and… well I guess I won’t be sending it back to Meta much to my wife’s disgust.

Having used the Reverb (original and G2), Rift S, Quest 2 and Pico 4 gives a bit of perspective on this.

I never really liked the Quest 2 in DCS, was not sharp enough compared to the Reverb G2. The Reverb G2 is very sharp in that narrow sweet spot but outside that is quite blurry such that you can’t really glance down to read an MFD or instrument you had to move your head.

The Pico 4 resolved that issue by being somewhat sharp edge to edge, with a really nice FoV, however even with godlike setting in virtual desktop a few things are apparent vs the Reverb G2. Firstly it is a bit soft across the whole image. Like watching something upscale rather than native resolution. The colours are lacking in dynamic range. Looking in the direction of the sun things get washed out heavily. It’s like watching TV on a cheap 4K panel.

Then the Quest Pro. Vs the Reverb it is not quite as sharp dead centre, but it is almost as sharp across the whole FoV which is better than the Reverb G2 and similar to the Pico 4. The sharpness is really apparent in things like MFD’s where every letter is readable in much the same way as looking dead on to it in the G2, just it can be that with a glance. Meta also know what they are doing with motion reproduction which cannot be said for WMR headsets, and it is better than in the Pico 4. The thing that stands out above all are the colours. It is night and day compared to the Pico 4, like looking at a good quality TV in comparison. I also kind of like the open bottom. I can look down onto my HOTAS and MFD buttons to see what I am pressing, and as I have them in positions that are pretty good for the F-18 cockpit it is kind of an AR experience.

So right now I’d say the Quest Pro is the best headset I own for DCS. The Reverb G2 is being packed away, and the Pico 4 well it might make a good backup headset. Could the Varjo Aero or Pimax Crystal be better? Absolutely, am I going to spend $3000 AUD to find out? Not if I plan to stay married.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

The main issue I had with Pico4 was software -- can't stand SteamVR and it crashed all the time with DCS OpenVR. Wish me luck in getting a QPro...

3 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

The main issue I had with Pico4 was software -- can't stand SteamVR and it crashed all the time with DCS OpenVR. Wish me luck in getting a QPro...

Far as I know they are readily available aren't they?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Far as I know they are readily available aren't they?

I mean bidding from eBay at an affordable price...

how comfortable is the quest pro for you?

People complain about getting discomfort / headache due to the halo head mount design pressing quite hard on their foreheads.
So i'm not sure... possibly something i can only test after purchase and return otherwise...

41 minutes ago, Sile said:

how comfortable is the quest pro for you?

People complain about getting discomfort / headache due to the halo head mount design pressing quite hard on their foreheads.
So i'm not sure... possibly something i can only test after purchase and return otherwise...

Yeah, it was uncomfortable to start with. I fitted a velcro strap across the top to take some of the weight but now, a month on, don't really bother with the strap and I'm getting used to the fit of the headset.

• Like 1