Quest Pro vs G2 Impressions - 4090/7950x3D

DirtyMike0330

And what about this? Or is this not related? (Link below Post)

The guys there write, that it might be possible by enbling beta mode (developer account???) and switching on:

"Developer Runtime Features" and
"Passthrough over Oculus Link"

But maybe i misunderstand something.

Edited by Sile

29 minutes ago, Sile said:

And what about this? Or is this not related? (Link below Post)

The guys here write, that it might be possible by enbling beta mode and switching on:

"Developer Runtime Features" and
"Passthrough over Oculus Link"

But maybe i misunderstand something.

That's to give you hand tracking in any apps that you run that support it....e.g. DCS with Fred's HTCC. Beta release is not needed for this.

If you do venture into hand tracking in DCS, get the mod to disable the gloves. It's impossible to use it with the gloves showing.

Disable VR Gloves (In-Game graphical controller) (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Edited by slughead
  • Like 1

Thanks @slughead on this. My point is If I can launch DCS inside Oculus Link, that would be excellent.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Just now, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Thanks @slughead on this. My point is If I can launch DCS inside Oculus Link, that would be excellent.

You can. Your last used apps are remembered in the Oculus Link. You could launch it from that but not with hand gestures.

That's why I say if only I could use the hand gestures and/or had the desktop by default...

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Just want to report on my Quest Pro experience, coming from the Reverb G2...

I really thought the G2 was pretty great, especially with a custom 3D-printed face mask, to bring my eyes much closer, dramatically improving the FOV and sweetspot. After color calibration, the G2 was a great high-res headset IMHO.

But, because so many preferred the Quest Pro in this thread, I gave it a try. I took the plunge with a 850 euro secondhand version in pristine shape.

After lots of tweaking: 200% improvement over the G2. First impression was not that great, but this was just a matter of tuning the PC-link settings with OTT.

But the Quest Pro REALLY made a slam-dunk after I enabled 4xMSAA: because of 72hz I could afford to use the extra head room for 4x instead of 2xMSAA.

Holy freak: even better-perceived resolution than the G2, even in the center of the image! 4xMSAA makes all vertical objects (like lamp posts, energy grid towers, cranes, etc..) much better defined and less shimmering. Powerlines are now far better visible than on the G2.

I think the low panel resolution of the Pro is misleading many. In comparison to the G2 or Quest2, all panel the resolution is available per eye because the Pro uses separate panels per eye. Because of this, the Pro's resolution is actually 30% higher than the Quest 2 for example. 

So now I can only repeat what other have said before me, the PRO has massive benefits over the G2:

• Much better colors,
  • Higher brightness,
  • blacker blacks,
  • much better FOV, and also for folks with wider IPD.
  • Better depth perception (binocular overlap)
  • very similar resolution to the G2 but with almost perfect edge to edge clarity,
  • Massive sweetspot,
  • More comfortable,  just turn around the cup at the back of the head strap. Optionally and easily add custom headstrap to relieve weight.
  • Less warm, heat does not build up because of open design
  • More render headroom because of 72hz,
  • Ability to use 4xMSAA: really helps with shimmer and much better rendering of vertical objects.
  • Oculus ASW works clearly better than Motion Reprojection in WMR
  • The future potential to use eye tracking for dynamic foveated rendering 
  • The possibility to use hand tracking (not tested yet)
  • And the added benefit to use the PRO wirelessly for other VR games with perfect controller tracking...

I pre-ordered the Pimax Crystal, but I am now not that eager for that headset anymore. The PRO, for now, is absolutely my favorite DCS headset. 

Edited by Flextremes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Flextremes said:

Just want to report on my Quest Pro experience, coming from the Reverb G2...

I really thought the G2 was pretty great, especially with a custom 3D-printed face mask, to bring my eyes much closer, dramatically improving the FOV and sweetspot. After color calibration, the G2 was a great high-res headset IMHO.

But, because so many preferred the Quest Pro in this thread, I gave it a try. I took the plunge with a 850 euro secondhand version in pristine shape.

After lots of tweaking: 200% improvement over the G2. First impression was not that great, but this was just a matter of tuning the PC-link settings with OTT.

But the Quest Pro REALLY made a slam-dunk after I enabled 4xMSAA: because of 72hz I could afford to use the extra head room for 4x instead of 2xMSAA.

Holy freak: even better-perceived resolution than the G2, even in the center of the image! 4xMSAA makes all vertical objects (like lamp posts, energy grid towers, cranes, etc..) much better defined and less shimmering. Powerlines are now far better visible than on the G2.

I think the low panel resolution of the Pro is misleading many. In comparison to the G2 or Quest2, all panel the resolution is available per eye because the Pro uses separate panels per eye. Because of this, the Pro's resolution is actually 30% higher than the Quest 2 for example. 

So now I can only repeat what other have said before me, the PRO has massive benefits over the G2:

• Much better colors,
  • Higher brightness,
  • blacker blacks,
  • much better FOV, and also for folks with wider IPD.
  • Better depth perception (binocular overlap)
  • very similar resolution to the G2 but with almost perfect edge to edge clarity,
  • Massive sweetspot,
  • More comfortable,  just turn around the cup at the back of the head strap. Optionally and easily add custom headstrap to relieve weight.
  • Less warm, heat does not build up because of open design
  • More render headroom because of 72hz,
  • Ability to use 4xMSAA: really helps with shimmer and much better rendering of vertical objects.
  • Oculus ASW works clearly better than Motion Reprojection in WMR
  • The future potential to use eye tracking for dynamic foveated rendering 
  • The possibility to use hand tracking (not tested yet)
  • And the added benefit to use the PRO wirelessly for other VR games with perfect controller tracking...

I pre-ordered the Pimax Crystal, but I am now not that eager for that headset anymore. The PRO, for now, is absolutely my favorite DCS headset. 

You are all terrible! I dont like you! 

f948f7039700833abab7d3b21dfef6de.gif

I see there is also a 30 day return policy in my country what is good news for me. In fact, 72Hz is very promising for me.

Btw. I'm curious how they work in IL-2 and MSFS, I also fly in these sims sometimes.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

There is one massive flaw. ASW has some awful compression artefacts when looking at large areas of solid colour such as the sky or sea. It is truest awful and unmissable when it happens. That’s the only downside I’ve seen.

hey slughead, I have never noticed (yet) what you are describing? (Apart from typical ghosting when objects move fast, but way better than MR in WMR btw. )

Mayby because I run at render res 3905 with 950  bitrate with PC-link via USB. i will share all my settings when I have the time. (My system is a 5800x3D/4090)

i do experience other minor issues I have not mentioned yet:

1. sounds is mediocre in comparison to the G2
  2. the software is not always stable. But once it is running, it is fine. Sometimes a full reboot is nessacary , especially when changing OTT settings. G2 was basically flawless in that respect, almost never needed a reboot.

Edited by Flextremes

I purchased my QP a little over a month ago.  I really cannot add much to what has already been said, but I concur that this has been my greatest VR experience thus far.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

3 minutes ago, slughead said:

Just built in at the moment.

But can I disconnect it and use my own headphone, like with HP G2?

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Sure. Just redirect the audio endpoint in Windows from the Quest Pro to whatever device you like. I think you can also do this from the DCS settings page so the app always uses the audio device of your choosing.

• Thanks 1

Ok, bought. I will see 🙂. I took also Link cable and full gasket. From what I can see, delivery is next week. I'm very curious. I'm a bit afraid of configuring all this, because I've never dealt with Meta, but G2 support via WMR and possibly SteamVR (+OpenXR Toolkit or Reshade) is very simple for me, but I think it won't be bad thanks to this topic here and helpful users like @slughead for example and the rest ;).

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

19 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Ok, bought. I will see 🙂. I took also Link cable and full gasket. From what I can see, delivery is next week. I'm very curious. I'm a bit afraid of configuring all this, because I've never dealt with Meta, but G2 support via WMR and possibly SteamVR (+OpenXR Toolkit or Reshade) is very simple for me, but I think it won't be bad thanks to this topic here and helpful users like @slughead for example and the rest ;).

Setting up the Quest Pro is simpler than WMR headsets.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

You get the Meta Link Cable?! Wow, I am using the 5m one from VR Cover.

58 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

You get the Meta Link Cable?! Wow, I am using the 5m one from VR Cover.

Something wrong? 

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Nothing, but I think the Meta one is overpriced...

8 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Nothing, but I think the Meta one is overpriced...

Right, I know it, however Im lazy VR Pilot ;).

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif