Is there any way to tell the max range for MAVs?

dlder

Is there any indication anywhere (which I'm not seeing), that tells you that the target is in range and can be shot? Stationary and more importantly moving targets?

On another note, the manual is wrong with this statement:

The AGM-65K can lock on to a target from three nautical miles away and the AGM-65D can lock a target from eight nautical miles

Both can lock onto truck sized targets from 20.700m (11.2nm) slant range.

Or this one:

Both the AGM-65K and AGM-65D have a 3x magnification level; however, the AGM-65D also has a 6x magnification level.

But both have 6x magnification!?

It's been ages since I've been in the A-10A pit for anything other than free flight. That being said, the manual hasn't been updated since 2013. So I'm not sure what changes have been made or bugs introduced over the years. The manual's range statements used to be correct. As far as "Is there any indication anywhere (which I'm not seeing), that tells you that the target is in range and can be shot? Stationary and more importantly moving targets?" is concerned, the pointing cross on the TVM would start flashing when you were within firing parameters. Hopefully that's still the case.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

22 hours ago, Ironhand said:

the pointing cross on the TVM would start flashing when you were within firing parameters.

Unfortunately, no.

It starts flashing as soon as you lock a target; even if it's beyond range. From the manual:

When the pointing cross flashes, it indicates a valid lock.

A valid lock is any hard lock on a target (not the ground itself). I too read it at first like you mentioned:" within firing parameters", but that alas is wrong.

So I guess at least with the "A", there is only eye-balling it.

From the manual pg 53:

When the pointing cross on the TVM flashes, it indicates that you have a valid lock and can fire the missile.

And that’s how it used to be. If it’s changed, then that’s a problem and you should report it as a bug as well as the range launch issues for each missile. You’ll need to provide a short track file for each issue.

EDIT: I haven’t looked into it myself but I suspect that the launch range is most probably limited by the seeker rather than the rocket motor. Something to consider, if you decide to report the bug.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I think in the A-10A its like the Bomb Tables for the F-5 or something similar old school like theory lessons.

Simple as at 5000ft @ 200kn Launch within 1-6nm, while at 10k ft its between 2-8nm, etc.

But i dont know at all.

Greetings

On 3/30/2023 at 4:26 PM, Ironhand said:

And that’s how it used to be. If it’s changed, then that’s a problem and you should report it as a bug as well as the range launch issues for each missile. You’ll need to provide a short track file for each issue.

EDIT: I haven’t looked into it myself but I suspect that the launch range is most probably limited by the seeker rather than the rocket motor. Something to consider, if you decide to report the bug.

Thanks for your help and opinion. Gonna consider posting a bug report; don't know what a track file or a logfile would be good for though. Anyone can just try the Jet and see for themselfs...

2 hours ago, dlder said:

Anyone can just try the Jet and see for themselfs...

It doesn't work like that. You have to prove that it's the bug. You show it in a track and provide a doc that says otherwise. Opinions and feeling have no place in bug reporting.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

11 hours ago, draconus said:

You show it in a track

But aren't track files inherently unreliable and "shifting" (in what is happening when/where/what? It's been said all the time that you can't watch track files as things shift out of place, especially in multiplayer track files, to be fair, but happens in SP too).

2 hours ago, dlder said:

But aren't track files inherently unreliable and "shifting" (in what is happening when/where/what? It's been said all the time that you can't watch track files as things shift out of place, especially in multiplayer track files, to be fair, but happens in SP too).

Yes, but the shorter the track the better, and showing mav ranges can be as short as seconds.

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

3 hours ago, dlder said:

As draconus notes, keep it short. Track playback accuracy also depends on the aircraft you’re flying. With FC3 aircraft, I seldom see an incorrect SP track playback until there’s a major sim update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

_____

So, I read a bit more in the manual and on page 95 it really does state, that the flashing crosshair indicates "in range":

Launch the missile when the target enters the allowable launch range and the targeting cross starts to flash.

That’s really weird. I quoted that text in an earlier post and I just realized that the post isn’t there. Evidently I never actually pressed “Submit Reply”.

Anyway, you really should make a bug report.

• Like 1

_____