Mandatory to have INS knob on IFA and not NAV?

Sylosis

Hi,
I have always set the INS knob to NAV and now I have this weird problem that when I do, my heading bug (vertical line in the compass showing where you must fly to reach your waypoint) stays at the right of the compass (see screenshot).

Problem disappears if I turn the knob to IFA. Comes back again if I switch back to NAV.

All my tests were in Persian Gulf map.

Is it intended or is it a bug?

image.png

Edited by Sylosis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

Bumping this... I'm surprised no one has an answer! I don't mind being told I'm doing something wrong by the way! 😅

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

I was always in the NAV camp ... but ever since an update or two ago, I've found that NAV just looses it.   Especially with the bomb fall lines.  But now I've been turning it straight to IFA and it seems to have rectified all those issues.   (and this is in any map)

Edited by Apache600

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

Normal in-flight position is IFA (tightly coupled INS-GPS with constant INS drift correction), in NAV you rely on INS only, which will (at least it should) lose precision in time and needs to be updated. As per HUD heading mark - recently there were reports of it working incorrectly in some cases.

33 minutes ago, Aernov said:

Normal in-flight position is IFA (tightly coupled INS-GPS with constant INS drift correction), in NAV you rely on INS only, which will (at least it should) lose precision in time and needs to be updated. As per HUD heading mark - recently there were reports of it working incorrectly in some cases.

Wasn't aware of the bug reports, I googled search for something before making this post and didn't find anything.

So I guess this is a bug then.... ☹️

• 3 months later...

*Bump* back to some Harrier flying and ran exactly into this. Being in NAV mode and the heading caret is pointing either left or right on the heading tape even when the waypoint circle is exactly in front of the aircraft.

Even if INS is set to NAV and it is maybe a bit off, the heading to the waypoint should be indicated on the heading tape with the caret, regardless of the real position of the waypoint, should the INS be degraded.

16 hours ago, AlphaJuliet said:

Hey,

Would you have a track ?

Here you go. The track file DCS/2.8.7.42718 MT version and some screenshots for explanation.

Took of with the INS in NAV, heading to first WP, WP circle visible slightly left, heading caret on the right of heading tape showing 045:

Screen_230814_105802_NAV_WP_heading_care

In the track I perform a 360 degree left turn and the heading caret always stayed on the right of the heading tape:

Switching to IFA position, the caret corresponds with the WP circle, when inside the HUD:

Screen_230814_105834_IFA_caret_okay.jpg?

and here with IFA, heading caret shows off heading, when indeed WP is to the right:

Screen_230814_105844_IFA_heading_caret_s

Thanks

Jens

AV-8B_INS_heading_caret_NAV_vs_IFA.trk

Edited by gulredrel
added version

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...