Spitfire from DCS in general.

jackd

IF it is so, that would explain your issues with trims as well. In Game flight mode, trims are animated, but don't actually work.

Edit: on the other hand, I think you would realize what mode you're in, because "game" one uses separate control bindings...

In either case, before trying out any airplane in any new sim, it's good idea to go through all global realism settings first - just to avoid such problems.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

20 hours ago, Skewgear said:

As for the active rudder, see how much rudder input is needed in the actual aircraft from 2 mins onwards in this video

I think you mean from 3:45 on (which honestly isn't 'rapid' it's smooth rudder action), because all the stuff you're talking about from 2 minutes on is just him applying the brakes while taxiing (spitfire uses differential brakes which shows from the outside as rudder input).

5 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

I was having exactly the same as you chaps, until I tried cutting later and flaring at a lower alt; I suspected the wing drop was coming from having too much sink on contact with terra firma and the energy from this, whilst not enough to cause a bounce, was still more than could be absorbed by the u/c. With no airspeed/lift to get back up it threw the load into momentum about the u/c contact points thus one of the wings is thrown down.

I was maybe 75% joking about the Spit's landing behaviour. It just bites me when I'm away from it for a long time.

Interestingly the RAF approved way to land an aeroplane until the very late 30's was to complete the final approach with the engine at idle. If someone had to blip the throttle to stretch the glide a bit then they'd often have to buy everyone watching a beer in the mess. Adding power to flare would have probably meant you had to buy everyone a double scotch.
However, once monoplane fighters were introduced that technique was abandoned, because it started costing them too many planes and too many pilots and a lot of people were glad to see the back of it.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

I made this video about smooth landings, power is your friend, speed needs to be spot ON 😀

Of course after you film all of your landings some have to be good ones, which are the ones I show here, all of this are power ON landings, coming slow adding power to arrest the sink rate, so no bounce.

Dunkirk airport in Channel map, is a short one, no floating or bouncing on that one allowed, good place to practice.

• Like 4

After latest updates it is extremely hard to take down Bf-109 with Spitfire. I know, bf-109 pilots are happy now, but it is unreallistic that almost all ammo hit bf-109 and it is still able to fly... Yeah with smokes, but still.

20 hours ago, motoadve said:

I made this video about smooth landings, power is your friend, speed needs to be spot ON 😀

Of course after you film all of your landings some have to be good ones, which are the ones I show here, all of this are power ON landings, coming slow adding power to arrest the sink rate, so no bounce.

Dunkirk airport in Channel map, is a short one, no floating or bouncing on that one allowed, good place to practice.

Very nice video indeed!! Is that white and orange C182 yours? Beautiful machine 😉 .

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 4/23/2023 at 12:20 PM, jackd said:

I had several modules already, so oh lucky me normandy 2.0 came reasonably priced, looks good.

Spent two days on testing the trialled the Spitfire ... Q: how old is this, as it seems quite unfinished IMO.

Seems almost like a Chinese paper kite at take off, especially from Chase view; flappering rudder and elevators ... wobbly take off on the runway, besides all that button pushing if you don't use automated takeoff procedures.

Guess i am spoiled. The IL2 bubble top Spitfire Mk.XIV i got a while ago, and their Normady update as well.

IL2's Spit modelling seems so much better done as it feels like driving a sturdy Rolls Royce; compared to the DCS version where a 50ies Citroen 2CV comes to mind.

Call me biassed, sorry,  ... 😉

Pay attention to your controls setup, engine settings and especially trim settings on landing and takeoff. This is not IL2.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yep, slowly getting used to it ...

ADDED: you get rid of that flapping rudder blade turning on Auto rudder for the individual planes affected in options, special

Edited by jackd

15 minutes ago, jackd said:

yep, slowly getting used to it ...

Check out Youtube for quite a number of vids with a ton of tips and procedures for the Spit. A lovely bird to fly but temperamental if not handled correctly. Cheers.

Looks like the OP and I started the spit around the same time - and have had some similar experiances, with using and and the graphics.

After reading the posts in this thread, glad to konow i'm on the right track and also worked out the changes required more or less by trial and error!

Here's a few of my TO and landing attempts, pretty comonplace from all accounts.

Spoiler

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 2:38 PM, motoadve said:

Spitfire landing, with just a bit of power ON.

I was browsing a USAAF safety booklet yesterday, written in the immediate post war era and intended for US military transport pilots. That had a section on how a faster than recommended approach can lead to a hard landing, because the pilots instinct when he sees that his landing roll might be marginal is to chop the throttle completely.
Obviously that increases the drag and the sink rate, although we are talking two and four props here, instead of one.
The advice was to take the zero thrust boost setting for the aircraft and use that for the touchdown, instead of going all the way to idle.
Interesting what you find out when you aren't looking for it 😄

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

• ED Team
21 hours ago, Extranajero said:

I was browsing a USAAF safety booklet yesterday, written in the immediate post war era and intended for US military transport pilots. That had a section on how a faster than recommended approach can lead to a hard landing, because the pilots instinct when he sees that his landing roll might be marginal is to chop the throttle completely.
Obviously that increases the drag and the sink rate, although we are talking two and four props here, instead of one.
The advice was to take the zero thrust boost setting for the aircraft and use that for the touchdown, instead of going all the way to idle.
Interesting what you find out when you aren't looking for it 😄

If you have right IAS as you chop the throttle and are not too high over the runway, it's safe. Or if you perform final at idle but have enough speed to flare and do it right, at the right altitude over ground, it's safe. 
The plane will sink or even stall wing down if the flaring is too long, and the extra speed reserved for flaring is gone.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team

This is the video, with two landings. Bf-109 landing was with dead engine, Spitfire - with power-on approach, and the power was set to idle just at touchdown, that was two-wheels (unexpected), that means that the speed was a bit higher. And both cases show that the plane must be flied to full stop :)/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me