Is the time of day correct?

AlpineGTA

I made a quick free flight mission in the Huey, setting the time and date to 6:30am on 6th June 1944, at this time of day the sun should have just risen and still be quite low, but instead, the sun is quite high in the sky and it's broad daylight. This doesn't seem correct for 6:30 in the morning.

Comparing it to the same time and date, starting from the same spot on the Channel map and the sun is still quite low and it's much darker, which I think is correct, the sun did rise at around 6:00am on the 6th June.

Even setting the time much earlier, at 5:50am on the Normandy map still seems much brighter than 6:30 on the Channel map.

Can anyone replicate this and confirm the same results? Or am I missing something and made a mistake in the mission editor, like a daylight saving time or something?

I've attached a couple of short tracks.

@BIGNEWY Can I move this to the bugs section please. Perhaps it needs looking at?

Thank you.

UH-1 Channel.trk UH-1 Normandy.trk

Edited by AlpineGTA

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Can't recall exact data, but I recall old posts talking about that and in the end the problem was wartime timing was modified to whatever they needed during the war. The time is correct, it's just you're using modern time while back then they were using another reference for the time in order to synchronize operations in different parts of the globe, or something like that. Long story short, you can't use wartime hours because those were different and many writers, researcher, not to mention amateurs, use those times as absolute when they weren't at all so those never match current time.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

9 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

I made a quick free flight mission in the Huey, setting the time and date to 6:30am on 6th June 1944, at this time of day the sun should have just risen and still be quite low, but instead, the sun is quite high in the sky and it's broad daylight. This doesn't seem correct for 6:30 in the morning.

Comparing it to the same time and date, starting from the same spot on the Channel map and the sun is still quite low and it's much darker, which I think is correct, the sun did rise at around 6:00am on the 6th June.

Even setting the time much earlier, at 5:50am on the Normandy map still seems much brighter than 6:30 on the Channel map.

Can anyone replicate this and confirm the same results? Or am I missing something and made a mistake in the mission editor, like a daylight saving time or something?

I've attached a couple of short tracks.

UH-1 Channel.trk 736.12 kB · 0 downloads UH-1 Normandy.trk 840.82 kB · 0 downloads

Can't help you with the Normandy vs Channel map. But sunrise in paris june 6th 1944 is 05:49

Now i live qutie a bit north of France.  So sunrise here is actually 04:13. But what I can say is that even tho the sunrise is 04:13 it's actually way beyond dawn by around 03:00 and by the time the sun is actually above the horizon it is more or less complete daylight. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

2 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Can't recall exact data, but I recall old posts talking about that and in the end the problem was wartime timing was modified to whatever they needed during the war. The time is correct, it's just you're using modern time while back then they were using another reference for the time in order to synchronize operations in different parts of the globe, or something like that. Long story short, you can't use wartime hours because those were different and many writers, researcher, not to mention amateurs, use those times as absolute when they weren't at all so those never match current time.

Fair points, but why do the two wartime maps, set at the same time on the same date (6/6/1944) not match each other? Maybe one is incorrectly using modern time instead of wartime hours?

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Can't help you with the Normandy vs Channel map. But sunrise in paris june 6th 1944 is 05:49

Now i live qutie a bit north of France.  So sunrise here is actually 04:13. But what I can say is that even tho the sunrise is 04:13 it's actually way beyond dawn by around 03:00 and by the time the sun is actually above the horizon it is more or less complete daylight. 

Sunrise in southern England was 5.:58 on 6th June 1944, so that leads me to think the Channel map is the more accurate.

17 minutes ago, AlpineGTA said:

Fair points, but why do the two wartime maps, set at the same time on the same date (6/6/1944) not match each other? Maybe one is incorrectly using modern time instead of wartime hours?

Yep, didn't check for different maps. They definitely should boast similar timing regarding that, I guess. What's sure either is you can't use straight historical timings and expect it to match current time or Sun position, they were using a different standard during the war, so operations were noted back then with that timing and it never matches current actual time and Sun position. It's like Germans using Germany time in every front, that's why you see they say sunrise happening on the Eastern Front at 3.00 in the "morning", and weird things on the like.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

In Britain during WW2, I believe they were using double summer time, so the evenings were lighter, to help with war production etc. Which means that the mornings were darker, which leads me to believe even further that the Channel map is the more accurate and the Normandy one is way too bright for that time of day.

Very interesting, I had no idea.

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/British-Summer-Time/

During the Second World War, in 1941 Britain adopted British Double Summer Time, which saw clocks being put forward two hours ahead of GMT. The clocks were turned back to GMT at the end of summer 1945. However because of severe fuel shortages resulting from the harsh winter of 1946/47, the UK returned to British Double Summer Time during the summer of 1947.