Hanging/Crashing on launch

Sr.
Go to solution Solved by silverdevil,

Lately game takes forever to load a simple quick mission.

Literally 15 minutes or until windows decides the application has stopped responding and simply crashes to desktop.

I mostly run VR, but was checking the behavior in 2D mode. Same issue. DCS starts and gets to the main menu as expected but, selecting and map or aircraft is where it begins. The screen changes to what is usually the loading screen with the progress bar.... hangs there without any progress. In the event I do get passed that screen and the next one comes up where it shows to load terrain etc, it will make it about 3.4 of the way then stop... nothing, unless I click on the screen with the mouse. At which point it will either zip to the end the progress bar an load or CTD.

I have run several cleanup/repair installs and have removed all mods.

hung.png

dcs.log

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Update: Only happening with the MT version open beta.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Now ST version is hosed...

dcs.log

--Arthur C Clark

• Solution
23 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Now ST version is hosed...

dcs.log 78.3 kB · 0 downloads

hello. you have a line in your log i believe is the issue.

2023-04-30 17:34:41.792 INFO   APP (Main): gDescription: "Microsoft Basic Render Driver" gVendorId: 5140 gDeviceId: 140 gMemory: 0 MB

DCS is using something other than your 4080.

my log line shows

2023-04-30 15:57:36.223 INFO   APP (Main): gDescription: "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090" gVendorId: 4318 gDeviceId: 8708 gMemory: 24340 MB

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Good ole Microshaft... just arbitrarily pick whatever driver YOU think I should need.😡

Went with a DDU rip and replace. Back to normal.

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

Just now, Sr. said:

Good ole Microshaft... just arbitrarily pick whatever driver YOU think I should need.😡

Went with a DDU rip and replace. Back to normal.

thanks for the feedback.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

16 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

my log line shows

Thanks for the heads up, I probably scrolled past that line a dozen times.

It will be the first place I look from now on.

Strange thing is, nothing else about my system indicated a graphics change, desktop or other wise. And why was this only affecting MT version at first?

--Arthur C Clark

9 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Thanks for the heads up, I probably scrolled past that line a dozen times.

It will be the first place I look from now on.

Strange thing is, nothing else about my system indicated a graphics change, desktop or other wise. And why was this only affecting MT version at first?

glad to help. i use a log viewer and can color code based on key words.

Short run success... MT back hanging while loading World Detail 1/60. Used to zip right through it. Now it's like 1 per 20 seconds only to stop responding when it hist 60/60 and CTD.

😕

--Arthur C Clark

30 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Short run success... MT back hanging while loading World Detail 1/60. Used to zip right through it. Now it's like 1 per 20 seconds only to stop responding when it hist 60/60 and CTD.

😕

can you post latest dcs.log? first successful run will take some time. shaders being compiled i am guessing.

49 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

can you post latest dcs.log? first successful run will take some time. shaders being compiled i am guessing.

I considered that, as it's behaving like it would back in the day when clearing fxo and metashader folder.

So I ran it in ST mode, used every aircraft to load at least 1 mission per map... worked as expected.

Came back to MT mode.... same crap.

Craziest part is, if I let it sit for about 3 minutes while it;s clearly doing nothing (as by then my CPU/GPU fans have both slowed to idle) then simply click my mouse, fans spin up, few seconds later the screen washes out and the windows notification appears stating this program has stopped responding.... I click wait for it, then the progress bar immediately zips to the end, going to the next screen where it loads object, world detail etc.  Gets to loading world detail and stops until I do the same trick with the mouse.

Sometimes this works, usually just straight CTD.

Here are 2 logs, 1st is one from ST session, 2nd is MT crash.

dcs.log MT dcs.log

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

20 minutes ago, Sr. said:

I considered that, as it's behaving like it would back in the day when clearing fxo and metashader folder.

So I ran it in ST mode, used every aircraft to load at least 1 mission per map... worked as expected.

Came back to MT mode.... same crap.

Craziest part is, if I let it sit for about 3 minutes while it;s clearly doing nothing (as by then my CPU/GPU fans have both slowed to idle) then simply click my mouse, fans spin up, few seconds later the screen washes out and the windows notification appears stating this program has stopped responding.... I click wait for it, then the progress bar immediately zips to the end, going to the next screen where it loads object, world detail etc.  Gets to loading world detail and stops until I do the same trick with the mouse.

Sometimes this works, usually just straight CTD.

Here are 2 logs, 1st is one from ST session, 2nd is MT crash

you have a massive amount of variations of this error (1700+)

2023-04-30 20:22:06.680 WARNING DX11BACKEND (13204): Shader model/glass_material.fx:BLEND_MODE=1;DAMAGE_UV=tc0;DIFFUSE_UV=tc0;DIRECTX11=true;NORMAL_SIZE=3;TEXCOORD0_SIZE=2;USE_DCS_DEFERRED=1; is outdated as file /shaders/deferred/atmosphere.hlsl is modified.

see if this helps. though you already reinstalled drivers.

1 hour ago, silverdevil said:

you have a massive amount of variations of this error (1700+)

Was that only in the MT log?  I can't imagine MT wouldn't use the same shaders as ST?

--Arthur C Clark

Waiting on a stable version install to finish for comparison.

edit: duh... stable doesn't include MT.

Opted for a fresh install.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

Well... a complete reinstall later, and I'm back to square one.

Even tried removing my entire Saved Games folder.

ST mission takes about 23 seconds to load, MT can take as long as 3-4 minutes.

At this point, I'm suspecting a Windows Update.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

Think I got it whooped.

Pretty sure my NCP settings either became corrupt or were interfering. I flipped them all back to default, and MT is working like it was 3 days ago.

I didn't even have much configured for it, just the usual Prefer Max Performance, use all CUDA GPUs

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

On 4/30/2023 at 7:04 PM, silverdevil said:

my log line shows

Hi I'm having the same problem too, where can I find the file that will tell me if I've got the same problem?

15 minutes ago, Typhoondaz said:

Hi I'm having the same problem too, where can I find the file that will tell me if I've got the same problem?

It's in Saved Games/your dcs install/Logs

File named dcs.log

What's even more strange is, the issue has reoccurred a few more times. Only now, I've stumbled on a way to make it proceed.

Once it seems to stop responding, even to the point I can hear my CPU/GPU fans slow to idle, I'll take my G2 off my head and touch the sensor located between the 2 lenses, a couple times and boom, the fans spin back up, and the mission loads.

Before, I could occasionally make it go just by clicking one time with the mouse. But this resulted in CTD most of the time. 

At this point I can only imagine this has something to do wit ha Windows or NVidia update.

Are you NVidia GPU also?

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

3 minutes ago, Sr. said:

It's in Saved Games/your dcs install/Logs

File named dcs.log

Thank you Sr. I checked mine and mine is the right GPU. also my game goes bright, any ideas what that might be I have the GAMMA AT 2.2?

APP (Main): gDescription: "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti" gVendorId: 4318 gDeviceId: 9346 gMemory: 8031 MB

7 minutes ago, Typhoondaz said:

Thank you Sr. I checked mine and mine is the right GPU. also my game goes bright, any ideas what that might be I have the GAMMA AT 2.2?

APP (Main): gDescription: "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti" gVendorId: 4318 gDeviceId: 9346 gMemory: 8031 MB

I don't use it but, I think the GEForce Experience app and/or NV Control panel can adjust brightness per game.... if you're on VR using OpenXR, then it and contrast can be set via the OpenXR toolkit onscreen menu.

Gamma 2.2 is pretty bright all by itself tho.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone else having this or similar issue with MT, I think I found my fix.

I recall loading these reg entries a year or so back, after all else failed I decide to default them to "normal" priority from High.

MT missions load fine now. No more hanging or crashing to becoming unresponsive.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DCS.exe]
"CpuPriorityClass"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DCS.exe\PerfOptions]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

--Arthur C Clark

14 hours ago, Sr. said:

For anyone else having this or similar issue with MT, I think I found my fix.

I recall loading these reg entries a year or so back, after all else failed I decide to default them to "normal" priority from High.

MT missions load fine now. No more hanging or crashing to becoming unresponsive.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DCS.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DCS.exe\PerfOptions]

interesting. i do not have a hive for DCS.EXE. i also do not have hangs or slow loading.

for the geeks out there, this explains what these settings do.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-set-priority-processes-using/2f9ec439-5333-4625-9577-69d322cfbc5e

38 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

interesting. i do not have a hive for DCS.EXE. i also do not have hangs or slow loading.

for the geeks out there, this explains what these settings do.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-set-priority-processes-using/2f9ec439-5333-4625-9577-69d322cfbc5e

Create a .txt file, paste:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Change priority dword values to suit

Save as .reg file extension, double click, reboot.

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

7 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Create a .txt file, paste:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Change priority dword values to suit

Save as .reg file extension, double click, reboot.

thanks. i do know how to add them. i was just making an observation that i do not have the hives present. 

• Like 1