F5 for Training, Compared to Mirage or L-39

Go to solution Solved by Rudel_chw,

I was about to pull the trigger on either the Mirage or the L-39 as I read both have great training missions, however; I had just listened to one singular soul rave about training in the F-5. It did not get any mentions in any other conversations so I figured I would ask here.

How do the training missions on the F-5 stack up to the L-39 or the Mirage?

What is it you are trying to learn? The L-39 has the Kursant campaign which is great. It will teach airmanship more than the built-in training missions that come with most modules, as those tend to just teach systems or procedures related specifically to that module.

• Like 3

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Training missions are usually just to learn basic systems operations. Flight, navigation, and weapons employment in actual (simulated) combat is well beyond the basic training missions.

In this regard, the F-5 is a bit easier to handle (imho) while airborne than some of the other trainers. I like it more than other planes mainly because it has a roomy cockpit and incredible visibility, almost as good as the F-16.

• Like 1

The training missions for F-5 seem a little bit more basic compared to both L-39 and Mirage 2000C, but they are competent overall, and you will get to know the plane pretty well. They lack voiceovers, if you consider that as a factor. Now, in regards to training, Mirage's campaign offers a lot in terms of practical application of what you learned. L-39 has a very competent campaign, Kursant, that ties to airmanship training as well, though you have to buy it separately. 

I would say this - all basic training missions will cover all you need to know to operate your choosen plane. If you want more training scenarios, Mirage and L-39 will have an advantage over F-5, but I wouldn't say this is very telling: Mirage is more complex airframe, so you have a bit more to interact with, L-39 also has some systems F-5 lacks, mainly radionavigation systems. C-101EB/CC is very similar to Albatros in that regard, I would say - simple plane with lots to do, but also good training missions.

No module you mentioned will let you down in terms of learning it, question would rather boil down to what airframe you would like to invest your time and money into?

Edited by Fairey Gannet
Typo.

21 minutes ago, DougMasters said:

How do the training missions on the F-5 stack up to the L-39 or the Mirage?

The Mirage’s were edited by Baltic Dragon and in my opinion are much better than the training missions of the other two, as a plus there are two versions of each mission: one for caucasus and one for Nevada. Also, the built-in Campaign of the Mirage is designed as a follow-on to the training, with the same storyline and voices. For me, it’s some of the best designed training of any Dcs aircraft.

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 minutes ago, Sarowa said:

Maybe people in this thead should specify which Mirage they're referring to: Mirage 2000 or Mirage F1.

Hmm yes I suppose my question was clumsy in that regard, I was not aware that there was a F1

I was speaking of the 2000. 

8 minutes ago, Sarowa said:

Maybe people in this thead should specify which Mirage they're referring to: Mirage 2000 or Mirage F1.

agree, my answer above was for the Mirage 2000 … unfortunately the Mirage F1 training is not as complete.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

4 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

What is it you are trying to learn? The L-39 has the Kursant campaign which is great. It will teach airmanship more than the built-in training missions that come with most modules, as those tend to just teach systems or procedures related specifically to that module.

I already do the F16, which is quite fun. 'Round about a year and a half ago I entered a new commitment that required a great deal of my time. Some of that has lessened, though not significantly. I wanted to dip into a new airframe, but I dont quite think I have the same amount of time I did back when I first learned the F16. Ya know it was a lot of reading watching doing. Of course any airframe will be some degree of reading, watching, doing, it would be a smidge more helpful if the in game missions were, perhaps, strung together a little better. Ya know, not an easy button, just a little more thorough in general. Thats all. I was told this was somewhat the case with the Mirage, and was just curious about this in regard to the Tiger.

• Solution
24 minutes ago, DougMasters said:

. I was told this was somewhat the case with the Mirage, and was just curious about this in regard to the Tiger

Both set of missions have voiceovers, the F-5 has an odd russian-accent instructor, while the Mirage has a french accent one. Both are fairly comprehensive, but I liked that the Mirage had more of a storyline, that then continues onto the built-in campaign.

K7ErLjc.jpg

0TzUybg.jpg

1 hour ago, DougMasters said:

I already do the F16, which is quite fun. 'Round about a year and a half ago I entered a new commitment that required a great deal of my time. Some of that has lessened, though not significantly. I wanted to dip into a new airframe, but I dont quite think I have the same amount of time I did back when I first learned the F16. Ya know it was a lot of reading watching doing. Of course any airframe will be some degree of reading, watching, doing, it would be a smidge more helpful if the in game missions were, perhaps, strung together a little better. Ya know, not an easy button, just a little more thorough in general. Thats all. I was told this was somewhat the case with the Mirage, and was just curious about this in regard to the Tiger.

Are you looking for single-player content, or something to fly online? As other posters mentioned, the Mirage 2000 has good training missions and a campaign-and-a-half that were created by Baltic Dragon, and anything by him is quality stuff. The Mirage will feel more similar to the F-16 than the trainers, since they are both fly-by-wire aircraft and the L-39 and F-5 are more stick-and-rudder planes, with the F-5 being more forgiving (I think). Hence my recommendation for the Kursant campaign which will teach you basic airmanship like pattern work, navigation, and fully manual weapons deployment. It's a tough campaign, as the instructor makes you adhere to a certain tolerance in regards to things like airspeed, altitude, flight path, etc... but it will make you a better pilot.

If you're looking for an airframe to become familiar with for online flying, then perhaps you need to determine the role you want to play. But I'm just single-player so others will have to help with that if it's the case.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

2 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Are you looking for single-player content, or something to fly online? As other posters mentioned, the Mirage 2000 has good training missions and a campaign-and-a-half that were created by Baltic Dragon, and anything by him is quality stuff. The Mirage will feel more similar to the F-16 than the trainers, since they are both fly-by-wire aircraft and the L-39 and F-5 are more stick-and-rudder planes, with the F-5 being more forgiving (I think). Hence my recommendation for the Kursant campaign which will teach you basic airmanship like pattern work, navigation, and fully manual weapons deployment. It's a tough campaign, as the instructor makes you adhere to a certain tolerance in regards to things like airspeed, altitude, flight path, etc... but it will make you a better pilot.

If you're looking for an airframe to become familiar with for online flying, then perhaps you need to determine the role you want to play. But I'm just single-player so others will have to help with that if it's the case.

Oh I understand that, I have been "doing what I've been doing" for a good while and was just looking for a change and to be frank, I am not entirely concerned with the individual role. I was more just considering learning something else is all. I wouldn't have the time for online play anyway. I mean as far as regular principles of flight I can confidently take off, navigate, shoot some <profanity>, engage, evade, etc..etc..etc.. ( can't bomb to save my life though ) and then land 99% of the time. I just hopped back into the f16 and thought "eh..." i just wanted a little freshness is all ( without learning to bomb ). Which is why I was more concerned with the training than the role. I can adapt to a role ( even bombing if I had too ) I just wanted to learn something at least a little different and it came down to the three, and which of them cut through a little bit of the fat a little better than the f16

The viper was fun as hell to learn for someone like me at the time though. 

Edited by DougMasters

3 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Both set of missions have voiceovers, the F-5 has an odd russian-accent instructor, while the Mirage has a french accent one. Both are fairly comprehensive, but I liked that the Mirage had more of a storyline, that then continues onto the built-in campaign.

K7ErLjc.jpg

0TzUybg.jpg

That was a very helpful breakdown, not that others weren't helpful but the comparing the lists visually helped, and I am not usually "that" visual. 

On 5/2/2023 at 1:20 AM, DougMasters said:

Say no more, F-5E IS tej right airframe for you 😀