[RESOLVED] U22 Jamming Pod broken completely

Snappy

I tested now in several different mission and setups. The older U22 jamming pod seems broken. After a cold start it does not warm up neither in mode A nor B , the KB-H/KA SL light never comes on. Neither does the MOTVERK light. 
Also it does not work if you set up a mission where you start airborne already.

And if you get targeted it does not jam at all.

The newer U22/A pod seems to be working ok.

Kind regards,

Snappy.

Edited by Snappy

Please note that a very frequent user mistake with the old pod is to accidentally select the mode that you would use for the new pod instead. It can be quite confusing, since the modes have different meanings for the pods and if you select the wrong mode, they will not emit anything.

For the old pod (U22), only Mode A will emit. Mode B is pre-heat.

For the new pod (U22/A), mode A will pre-heat, not emit. Mode B, D and E will emit.

(see the manual for more)
(not claiming you did anything wrong here, but I wanted to take the opportunity to remind people about this frequent misconception)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zabuzard said:

U22 should emit in A and E according to the SFI.

A is automatic mode - will pre-heat and emit, when hot and illuminated by radar
B is pre-heat
D is used when doing ground tests
E is emit mode

• Like 1

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

7800X3D | RTX 4070 Ti S | 64GB 6000MHz RAM |

4 hours ago, Zabuzard said:

Please note that a very frequent user mistake with the old pod is to accidentally select the mode that you would use for the new pod instead. It can be quite confusing, since the modes have different meanings for the pods and if you select the wrong mode, they will not emit anything.

For the new pod (U22/A), mode A will pre-heat, not emit. Mode B, D and E will emit.

(see the manual for more)
(not claiming you did anything wrong here, but I wanted to take the opportunity to remind people about this frequent misconception)

With all due respect @Zabuzard, your mentioned own manual says otherwise or is written wrong , the page for the older U22 pod says

the following:
nullimage.png

Regardless of that , the U22 Pod does not pre-heat in mode B either . Its broken completely.

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

You are kinda missing my point. A lot of people think the pod does not work, because they follow the procedure for the (newer) U22/A pod and set their mode to, essentially, not-A. But then the old pod will not emit, which is intended behavior.

This goes more as a general comment for readers. It is not a critique to your bug report.

2 minutes ago, Zabuzard said:

You are kinda missing my point. A lot of people think the pod does not work, because they follow the procedure for the (newer) U22/A pod and set their mode to, essentially, not-A. But then the old pod will not emit, which is intended behavior.

This goes more as a general comment for readers. It is not a critique to your bug report.

Ok, then I misunderstood your point. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MYSE1234 said:

U22 should emit in A and E according to the SFI.

A is automatic mode - will pre-heat and emit, when hot and illuminated by radar
B is pre-heat
D is used when doing ground tests
E is emit mode

Can you be more precise on your source for mode E on the (old) U22 pod? Would be very helpful 🙂👍

Hello , and what about the " Anti Jamming (AS) Filter mode selector"? It seems to be inoperative.

This mode would undoubtedly be an important addition for the defense of the Viggen and would add complexity to our beloved plane .

13 hours ago, Snappy said:

With all due respect @Zabuzard, your mentioned own manual says otherwise or is written wrong , the page for the older U22 pod says

the following:
nullimage.png

Regardless of that , the U22 Pod does not pre-heat in mode B either . Its broken completely.

Kind regards,

Snappy

I don't see where the manual is in contradiction to what @Zabuzard said? Just like he said, the manual states, that pre-heat can be done in mode A or B, but it nowhere says that mode B will emit.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 hours ago, Spirale said:

Hello , and what about the " Anti Jamming (AS) Filter mode selector"? It seems to be inoperative.

This mode would undoubtedly be an important addition for the defense of the Viggen and would add complexity to our beloved plane .

Exact documentation on how the various modes work is quite sparse and some of it also does not fit well into DCS. The modes are not magic, they adjust noise/gain ratios and similar stuff. The controlled-dampening effect of some of the modes is actually implemented to some extend (even if the manual doesnt say so). Which is why, when you click around, the radar image actually changes slightly. Here is a decent enough overview from the SFI:

aBtfPmb.png

Anyways, lets maybe move that topic to a different thread if you want more info on it 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

I don't see where the manual is in contradiction to what @Zabuzard said? Just like he said, the manual states, that pre-heat can be done in mode A or B, but it nowhere says that mode B will emit.

Like I wrote above it was a misinterpretation of what he wrote . I took his sentence

For the old pod (U22), only Mode A will emit. Mode B is pre-heat“

to mean that preheating was restricted to mode B .

I was focusing on the preheating part, not the emitting part. 

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

52 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Like I wrote above it was a misinterpretation of what he wrote . I took his sentence

For the old pod (U22), only Mode A will emit. Mode B is pre-heat“

to mean that preheating was restricted to mode B .

I was focusing on the preheating part, not the emitting part. 

Snappy

Oh, got it 👍

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hey guys!
I reworked the section in the RC2.1 slightly to make it more clearly.
Please look at the screenshot and go through the text.
If you have any comments/suggestions, please leave them right here .... thanks!
null

image.png

• Thanks 2

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TRP | Rift CV1

38 minutes ago, TOViper said:

Thanks a lot for all the great work you are doing with the Viggen Manual, I’m currently flying the Mirage F1 exclusively but I intend to return to the Viggen as soon as the Kola map is released 🙏

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

21 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks a lot for all the great work you are doing with the Viggen Manual, I’m currently flying the Mirage F1 exclusively but I intend to return to the Viggen as soon as the Kola map is released 🙏

Hey Rudel!
Kola map ... *ufffff* ... how long ... ??? No news, no forum, no nothing ...
Anyway, in the meanwhile we are going to stay here to polish up our beloved bird ...

• Like 1

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TRP | Rift CV1

4 hours ago, TOViper said:

Hey guys!
I reworked the section in the RC2.1 slightly to make it more clearly.
Please look at the screenshot and go through the text.
null

image.png

Hi @TOViper

Very good. The only possible addition I can think of is under section Indication, Maybe add that "During preheating KB-H/KA SL light illuminates steadily and extinguishes when the preheating is complete"  Or something along those lines.

This could also be added to the Indication section of the U22/A pod description

kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TOViper said:

Anyway, in the meanwhile we are going to stay here to polish up our beloved bird ...

Excellent news, the Viggen is unique and deserve to be better known 🙂

8 hours ago, Zabuzard said:

Anyways, lets maybe move that topic to a different thread if you want more info on it 🙂

Thx a lot 👍

6 hours ago, Snappy said:

Hi @TOViper

Very good. The only possible addition I can think of is under section Indication, Maybe add that "During preheating KB-H/KA SL light illuminates steadily and extinguishes when the preheating is complete"  Or something along those lines.

kind regards,

Snappy

sure I can do that!

• Like 1

my computer:

Hi @TOViper
kind regards,
Snappy
Might be worth noting that the light does not indicate warmup, but rather that the device is cold and needs a warmup first.

This is important for the new mode E, that will be added soon, where, when you switch to it before finishing preheating, the light is illuminated but the device does not warmup in this mode.

Otherwise I can already foreshadow people switching to it right at the start, seeing the light being illuminated and then wondering why it never finishes heating up.
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Zabuzard said:

Might be worth noting that the light does not indicate warmup, but rather that the device is cold and needs a warmup first.

This is important for the new mode E, that will be added soon, where, when you switch to it before finishing preheating, the light is illuminated but the device does not warmup in this mode.

Otherwise I can already foreshadow people switching to it right at the start, seeing the light being illuminated and then wondering why it never finishes heating up.

Ah very good that you point that out, didn't know that ! Thank you !  @TOViper I'm very sorry, looks like the manual passage needs to be amended again ://

• Silhou changed the title to [RESOLVED] U22 Jamming Pod broken completely