Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

Am I right in that using the link cable is pretty much always preferrable to a wireless connection?

I have a rtx 3080 12gb, is that beefy enough for this headset for relatively clear and crisp cockpits/displays or do you think for a proper experience you will need a 4090? 

RTX 3080 12GB  *  i7-13700K  *  64GB DDR5  *  Windows 11

Am I right in that using the link cable is pretty much always preferrable to a wireless connection?

I have a rtx 3080 12gb, is that beefy enough for this headset for relatively clear and crisp cockpits/displays or do you think for a proper experience you will need a 4090? 
Yea link cable is best and if you want to max out the resolution of the quest 3 in oculus app as well as apply super sampling over a certain amount in the oculus debug tool, I think a 4090 is definitely for this.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

11 hours ago, RaJaN said:

Wasnt impressed with Q3 in DCS till i tried VD with AV1, Huuuge improvement

I'm trying VD. It does look good but I think the reprojection makes everything in the distance terrible. Or I haven't got the settings right. 

2 hours ago, ricktoberfest said:

Worth the upgrade from the rift s?

Just tried it, here is my feedback so far:

• it has a way bigger FOV - I fly helis a lot, and I fell in love...
  • it's connecting through a cable/air link - so expect some compression artifacts - if you have a powerful GPU, won't be an issue, I managed to get a really good compromise with my 3080Ti with cable connection and a fair* with Airlink
  • you need to charge the headset somehow, USB-C port of your motherboard won't be enough (see a few posts above)
  • the picture clarity is about 20%-30% more "clearer"**, depending on your settings.

* - you might not be able to do dogfight with these settings due to the compression artifacts, but still playable
** - Feels a bit weird at first, but you get used to it after a few hours. Hard to describe, but it's more "pixelated"/ "blurry", but still, you can read every label way easier than with Rift S with 1.7PD!

I just went back to Rift S to actually see the difference and the readability and the FOV are the "topmost perceptible" things.

Also, maybe it's me, but it's basically stutter-free. If the FPS counter says it's 40fps, then it's 40fps 😄 Tried the Shooting Range mission on the Syria map with Apache and shot almost all targets (so loads of smoke) - and there wasn't even a glitch of stutter, even flying through an explosion/smoke 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's experience with the 3 vs Pro ... I prefer the PRO due to it's super sharp image, edge to edge. The rest is quite subjective and the 3 is amazing in size, weight, cpu for oculus apps, passthrough and such. I so wanted to upgrade my expensive pro to the higher resolution 3. But while it might have higher resolution on paper, it doesn't show when used with DCS.

The 3 is quite an improvement over my older Quest 2, with sharper images and the pancake lenses of the Pro... there is no distortion or the smearing of the Fresnel lenses. It's light and really thin with a better AR passthrough, but it's nowhere close to the sharp, edge to edge of the PRO and the 3 has a narrower field of view as well (with the Pro I can see the obogs and gear switches without moving my head, in the 3 I did not). The image is softer and way less contrasty. It still has a sweet spot where the PRO does not have it. The 3 is going back.

I also tested the PRO with a dedicated Wifi 6E 6ghz AP (limited to 6ghz wifi6E only - might even work with a pcie AX wifi card that the software allows for limiting 6E wifi only - don't let drop to 5Ghz just cause somebody passed between you and the router - 6Ghz doesn't even go through a piece of paper very well) and the quality was literally the same as it is with the USB link cable up to 175MBps Encoding (oculus debug). For Oculus apps, the way to get that sharpness (2, PRO, 3) is to go 1.5x resolution in the Oculus windows app (and 75-90Hz depending on your GPU - much easier to half 75fps than 90fps when needed). 1.5x is not upscaling. It's literally telling the game it can render at 5k resolution and then show it on its 3k displays with no extra overhead, which for moving images (you can't hold your head that still), is a great solution. 

• Thanks 1

Here's experience with the 3 vs Pro ... I prefer the PRO due to it's super sharp image, edge to edge. The rest is quite subjective and the 3 is amazing in size, weight, cpu for oculus apps, passthrough and such. I so wanted to upgrade my expensive pro to the higher resolution 3. But while it might have higher resolution on paper, it doesn't show when used with DCS.
The 3 is quite an improvement over my older Quest 2, with sharper images and the pancake lenses of the Pro... there is no distortion or the smearing of the Fresnel lenses. It's light and really thin with a better AR passthrough, but it's nowhere close to the sharp, edge to edge of the PRO and the 3 has a narrower field of view as well (with the Pro I can see the obogs and gear switches without moving my head, in the 3 I did not). The image is softer and way less contrasty. It still has a sweet spot where the PRO does not have it. The 3 is going back.
I also tested the PRO with a dedicated Wifi 6E 6ghz AP (limited to 6ghz wifi6E only - might even work with a pcie AX wifi card that the software allows for limiting 6E wifi only - don't let drop to 5Ghz just cause somebody passed between you and the router - 6Ghz doesn't even go through a piece of paper very well) and the quality was literally the same as it is with the USB link cable up to 175MBps Encoding (oculus debug). For Oculus apps, the way to get that sharpness (2, PRO, 3) is to go 1.5x resolution in the Oculus windows app (and 75-90Hz depending on your GPU - much easier to half 75fps than 90fps when needed). 1.5x is not upscaling. It's literally telling the game it can render at 5k resolution and then show it on its 3k displays with no extra overhead, which for moving images (you can't hold your head that still), is a great solution. 
Awesome, thank you for the comparison! I think I'm comfortable enough to find a Pro now. I was debating for a while if I just want to go with a quest 3 but since I mainly use PCVR and DCS, this will do until somnium VR1 is out or some dedicated PCVR headset gets the correct combination without needing base stations.

Would you say a wifi6e router is needed? I have an orbi RBR50 and RBS50 which have been perfect for my house with complete uninterrupted coverage. It has 2.4 and 5ghz bands and automatically will connect devices depending on their compatibility.

I really don't want to go back to non mesh router system as they always had bad coverage in different rooms no matter which ones I tired.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Anyone tried Quest 3 with a 3080 10gb?

I have a mate running same specs as me but 4070 12gb. In 4k Monitor resolution we have exact same performance and he found settings he is happy with. (90hz 45 fps reprojection)
So can i expect same performance or will the 2gb vram less disapoint me?

Specs are 5800X3D, 64gb ram, 3080 10gb

My goal would be PD 1.2 and medium textures for mp server like enigma with smooth gameplay.

1 hour ago, sze5003 said:

Awesome, thank you for the comparison! I think I'm comfortable enough to find a Pro now. I was debating for a while if I just want to go with a quest 3 but since I mainly use PCVR and DCS, this will do until somnium VR1 is out or some dedicated PCVR headset gets the correct combination without needing base stations.

Would you say a wifi6e router is needed? I have an orbi RBR50 and RBS50 which have been perfect for my house with complete uninterrupted coverage. It has 2.4 and 5ghz bands and automatically will connect devices depending on their compatibility.

I really don't want to go back to non mesh router system as they always had bad coverage in different rooms no matter which ones I tired.

Isn't the Varjo close enough for that?  I got the impression that it's very good, though it does need base station(s).

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Isn't the Varjo close enough for that?  I got the impression that it's very good, though it does need base station(s).
It may be but i would rather not have to buy base stations now and then rearrange stuff in my room to set them optimally right now.

Once more details on the somnium VR1 are out if that ends up being very good I'll probably reconsider the base stations route.

Just bought the VD. And I can't get DCS to run OpenXR with OpenX Toolkit, need foveated render and its motion projection. And running DCS via VD-> SteamVR sucks, and running DCS via "Launch game..." option in VD does not activate OpenXR Toolkit, even though I point it to my shortcut of DCS that have the --force_OpenXR thingies. And the motion projection default from VD suck big time. I get sea sick of it, the whole screen "wobbles".  Or did I miss something to get it work right? Any other setting? 

So now Im back just using Oculus Link(cable) and using 900 in bitrate and 1.6x override resolution, looks almost as it did with godlike setting and AV1 decoding. But the AV1 decoding did look a bit better though. 😕 

Running in 90hz and 45 fps with motion reprojection. RTX 4090

Edited by Snuten

Just bought the VD. And I can't get DCS to run OpenXR with OpenX Toolkit, need foveated render and its motion projection. And running DCS via VD-> SteamVR sucks, and running DCS via "Launch game..." option in VD does not activate OpenXR Toolkit, even though I point it to my shortcut of DCS that have the --force_OpenXR thingies. And the motion projection default from VD suck big time. I get sea sick of it, the whole screen "wobbles".  Or did I miss something to get it work right? Any other setting? 
So now Im back just using Oculus Link(cable) and using 900 in bitrate and 1.6x override resolution, looks almost as it did with godlike setting and AV1 decoding. But the AV1 decoding did look a bit better though.  

Running in 90hz and 45 fps with motion reprojection. RTX 4090
Virtual desktop has to use steamvr as the openxr intermediary. Their emulation for oculus runtime doesnt handle openxr. The oculus actual runtime support openxr fine.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Vladdo said:

What is the usual 'decoding' time frame in VD? I'm getting 13-16ms.. is this correct? 

That's high, what's the gpu and compression codec are you using? 

I had it before high and the fix was to reset dcs world nvidia profile. 

Specs: 13900k @ 5.5Ghz, 64GB @ 3600Mhz, 3080Ti.

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

This isn't meant to be shared outside of my Discord.

Share the link to discord, not the attachment. 

The discord message comes with very specific instructions, that your attachment does not include.

In addition, requiring users to go to my discord makes sure they will ask questions there instead of bugging the Virtual Desktop developers. 

Don't you think that if I wanted the build to be public outside my Discord, I wouldn't have just uploaded it on website?

Edited by mbucchia

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

So, I Wrote most of the comments and can I get the conclusion that if I want to update from HP-Reverb G2V1, if I have the money, i better buy Q-Pro that Q3? even though The Q-Pro has lower resolution? i just ask because I am very annoyed by the low FOV and the small sweetspot but the challange in DCS is to even see enemys while in fight for a far distance and the sharp sweetspot of the HP Reverb did a great job if you got the enemy in this spot but overall overview is bad when you always have to turn your head instead of using the turnability of the eyes

maybe wait a little longer for the masses to get their q3 and provide feedback. The G2 went through the same thing against the q2 in the early days, but ultimately the G2 was arguably the best option for overall clarity and performance. Plus there will likely be some interesting software developments soon that may benefit the q3 

edit ^ I wrote this based on comparing Quest Pro with Quest 3 🙂

Edited by Dogmanbird

So, I Wrote most of the comments and can I get the conclusion that if I want to update from HP-Reverb G2V1, if I have the money, i better buy Q-Pro that Q3? even though The Q-Pro has lower resolution? i just ask because I am very annoyed by the low FOV and the small sweetspot but the challange in DCS is to even see enemys while in fight for a far distance and the sharp sweetspot of the HP Reverb did a great job if you got the enemy in this spot but overall overview is bad when you always have to turn your head instead of using the turnability of the eyes
There's a pilot on YouTube that did a very good comparison between the aero, and the quest pro. Videos are in Spanish with English subtitles. He had a lot of good points about the Pro. He posted he's going to do a comparison between the the 3, pro and aero soon.
https://youtube.com/@IsmaelJordaphoto?si=NpINlnB5Q_z0UQP7

In one of the comments on a picture he posted, he summarizes some thoughts saying if you already have a pro, no need to get the 3. If you have money to get the pro get it and if you only have enough money to get the quest 3 go with that because both of them configured properly will look better than the G2.

What I'm gathering is local dimming, colors, and contrast make a big difference between the quest 3 and quest pro. These and the eye tracking allowing use of DFR make the Pro a better PCVR headset out of the two.

If you are not going to use it for PCVR then the Quest 3 is what you should get as it has a newer chip better suited for standalone and MR if you are into that and you mainly play other VR titles.

Hi All,

I've been playing with my Quest 3 received last Tuesday, and... Coming from a Reverb G2, it's kind of a mixed bag, actually.

First the pros:

• The edge-to-edge clarity is trully a game changer, those new pancake lenses are phenomenal!
  • The field-of-view is noticeably increased compared to the G2 (both horizontally and vertically) IF you don't wear glasses and you're able to adjust the facemask on the closest to the lenses (or second closest) position (and depending of your own face shape also)
  • Headset, controllers and hand tracking: headset tracking is top-notch, even in low-light condition. No shaking of head movements, very smooth, its rock solid. Controllers tracking is the same, very smooth, no wobling or shaking like the G2 one. Hand-tracking pretty good, but doesn't like dim environment, so you have to turn up the lights (I now it's useless for DCS, but I had to mention that.)
  • 72Hz mode: I was completly unable to play the G2 at 60Hz because of the flickering, but the G3 at 72Hz is perfect for me, very smooth and no flicker at all, and it enables you to reproject down to 36fps with less image ghosting or degradation than with the G2 reprojection. very impressed.
  • PCVR with cable or Virtual Desktop : properly tweaked, I'm completely unable to tell the difference with G2's display-port connection, no compression artifact, no noticeable lag or latency.
  • Colors and contrast: even with no local dimming, I find it at least on par with the G2. It's still LCD displays, so don't expect true black as well...

Now the cons :

• Comfort: it's awful with the OG strap, at least for my headshape... Its pressing on the chicks and the forehead, the face foam is harder than the G2 and I regularly have to release the pressure manually by pulling the headset a bit . i tried to loose the strap, but then the headset is not properly tied and tends to fall on my nose. It was completly unusable with glasses for me, very hard pressure pain on my nose after 5 minutes with headackes, I have to play only with contact lenses. I'm eagerly awaiting both the BoboVR M3 strap and my HonsVR prescription lenses to be able to wear it properly (100 bucks more!!)
  • Sound : usable, 3D localization is not bad, loud enough, but nothing to compare with the fantastic G2's off-ear speakers. Have to use it with my Logitech headset
  • Resolution: pushed at max on oculus PC app (1.3x AFAIR), I feel it's a very bit less sharp than the G2 center point in the sweet spot. But very little.
  • Performance : it was quite a disapointment for me, unless it isn't tweaked properly yet. I was able to play DCS with the G2 (OXR and MT) with crazy high settings, most of the time at 45fps in most severe environments, sometimes down to 30 and sometimes up to 90. I was pushing 100% resolution (3160x3092 pixels per eye). The Quest 3 on the other hand, pushed at max on oculus app renders less pixels than the G2 (something like 2700x2900 per eye), but with the exact same settings in DCS, the performance is worse. Even with 72Hz mode, I was often unable to grab the 36fps for reprojection and it was laggy... I may have to tweek it bit more I guess, and I hope that someone will release a guide for DCS and Quest 3 users!

To sum-up all that: if you have a G2, don't wear glasses and are all in for field of view and edge-to-edge clarity, this might be for you if are willing to add a bit extra for 3rd party strap. Otherwise, the G2 is still a fantastic headset that personnaly served me so well during 3 years and you shouldn't regret to stick with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

For those with higher end PCs, ie, 4090 and 5800x3d/7800x3d/7950x3d, are you able to get a solid 72/80fps with spacewarp turned off? Personally I hate ASW as it can get glitchy artifacts especially when flying over densely populated areas. I run mostly 'high' settings, with 2x MSAA and a 1.2x resolution bump in the oculus app.,

10 hours ago, Vladdo said:

For those with higher end PCs, ie, 4090 and 5800x3d/7800x3d/7950x3d, are you able to get a solid 72/80fps with spacewarp turned off? Personally I hate ASW as it can get glitchy artifacts especially when flying over densely populated areas. I run mostly 'high' settings, with 2x MSAA and a 1.2x resolution bump in the oculus app.,

Yes with 4090, 13900k 72Hz, MSAA 2, ASW off in heavy online servers 

• Like 1

Specs: 13900k @ 5.5Ghz, 64GB @ 3600Mhz, 3080Ti.