VR colours not equal between eyes. Specially visible at night low light level colour bandings (clouds / sky / ground)

Gryzor

I noticed this bug since MT exists (tried with Valve Index and Pico 4). Specially at night, the is some zones that doesn´t have the same colours between eyes. This is very annoying in VR, in my case even causes a headache... let me show the screenshot with the bug. If you look carefully, you could notice that grey banding of clouds doesn´t match at L and R eyes. This doesn´t occours with ST executable.

Edit: maybe this bug has been reported before?

Screen_230609_010520.jpg

Screen_230609_010511.jpg

Edited by Gryzor
  • Like 1

• Gryzor changed the title to VR colours not equal between eyes. Specially visible at night low light level colour bandings (clouds / sky / ground)
8 hours ago, Jagger303 said:

Not noticed this at all.

Would recommend a clean install / repair of dcs. Ensure to clear FXO and metashader files.

Do a clean install of your graphics drivers also

I tried thoese solutions. DDU Cleaner, full repair DCS, renamed DCS use file, cleand FXO and metashader folder, various nvidia drivers, etc... Even tested in 2 HDM (Index and Pico). This issue is not noticeable at day or night without moon. Please test it at full moon, is quite visible specially looking at clouds (look subtle differences over my picture). What is your HMD? What are you graphics card?

8 hours ago, Gryzor said:

I tried thoese solutions. DDU Cleaner, full repair DCS, renamed DCS use file, cleand FXO and metashader folder, various nvidia drivers, etc... Even tested in 2 HDM (Index and Pico). This issue is not noticeable at day or night without moon. Please test it at full moon, is quite visible specially looking at clouds (look subtle differences over my picture). What is your HMD? What are you graphics card?

I will test with my group and see if we can replicate. do you want to upload the trk?

i have a g2 v1 with a 3080ti

5 hours ago, Jagger303 said:

I will test with my group and see if we can replicate. do you want to upload the trk?

i have a g2 v1 with a 3080ti

No, I attached only 2 pictures with L and R eyes differences. I will try to upload it.

Here is the track. Please look at clouds and sky banding, closing and opening L and R eyes once a time, its easily noticeable that colours banding do not match between eyes in VR. It happens on clean installation, user rest folder, many Nvidia Drivers, even 2 differents HMD (Valve Index and PICO 4).

@Jagger303what is your HMD?

VR --- CLOUDS - SKY DIFFERENT BANDING AT NIGHT BETWEEN EYES.trk

Tried your track in MT, i see no colour difference between left and right eye. HMD = Oculus Rift-S.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue. Different colouration of clouds in night time/ low light level between left and right eye. 
The problem are the dark areas that are barely visible. Its like color banding differently for each eye. In ST the problem does not exist. 
Maybe there is a slight deviation in gamma or something else for left and right eye in MT VR. 

like the already fixed shadow problem at night in VR. Maybe a developer could have a look at this. 

On 9/2/2023 at 1:42 AM, matze140 said:

I have the same issue. Different colouration of clouds in night time/ low light level between left and right eye. 
The problem are the dark areas that are barely visible. Its like color banding differently for each eye. In ST the problem does not exist. 
Maybe there is a slight deviation in gamma or something else for left and right eye in MT VR. 

like the already fixed shadow problem at night in VR. Maybe a developer could have a look at this. 

Exactly! I changed all my PC even 2 headsets, new W10, .... and I still perceiving the same bug in MT (colours are good in ST version). I hope others notice it! It seems that you and me are the only ones.

I just think most of the people dont see it because night time flights are not so common for the majority. 
Maybe it’s the same thing as the super carrier wires only rendered in one eye when they were out of their resting position. Meanwhile this was fixed. 

But yes. Its very annoying for me. Feels like your eyes are broken. You loose every stereoscopic vision of the clouds when rendered different in both eyes.

I will ask some guys in my sqaudron to test this on their rig. 

18 hours ago, matze140 said:

I just think most of the people dont see it because night time flights are not so common for the majority. 
Maybe it’s the same thing as the super carrier wires only rendered in one eye when they were out of their resting position. Meanwhile this was fixed. 

But yes. Its very annoying for me. Feels like your eyes are broken. You loose every stereoscopic vision of the clouds when rendered different in both eyes.

I will ask some guys in my sqaudron to test this on their rig. 

Yes, is just like the screen I post at thread start. Very annoying, I tested with Valve Index and my current Pico 4, both presents the same issue. In MT version. In ST version, colour are equali in L and R eyes.

I hope ED revisit this thread, or maybe it would fixed in 2.9 or 3.0 version (hope in Vulkan...).

• 3 weeks later...

I think i found the issue! It’s the HDR-Effect/ general brightness applied slightly different for each eye, because of the difference in 3D room position. 

It may be realistic in real life and also in terms of rendering, but IRL we are not limited by 8 Bit colors. It would be better to couple the brightness level of both eyes. Don’t know difficult this may be.

@BIGNEWY Maybe the Dev-Team could have a look at this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Gryzor In the animation below made out of the same screenshot (left and right eye visions are alterning), I can clearly see the clouds and the deck are not as bright in one eye as they are in the other. Like you said, ST is not affected.

The issue is now reported. 👍

NotOK_OB_MT.gif

• Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 3:50 PM, Flappie said:

@Gryzor In the animation below made out of the same screenshot (left and right eye visions are alterning), I can clearly see the clouds and the deck are not as bright in one eye as they are in the other. Like you said, ST is not affected.

The issue is now reported. 👍

NotOK_OB_MT.gif

Was this addressed in the recent beta update? It makes night flying unplayable in the Aero unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

Can someone confirm if this is happening to them and it's not just a bad headset? It only seems to happen in DCS at night. Day time "seems" fine and the virtual desktop looks crisp and fine. This was the best I could get with my phone, Left all the darks are hugely contrasted to almost grey and the right eye is dark black as it should be. 

Screenshot_20240131_093537_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240131_093554_Gallery.jpg

• 2 months later...