P-14 Tall King radar - v 1.01

Go to solution Solved by Recoil16,

• tripod3 changed the title to P-14 Tall King radar - v 1.0
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wild_Weasel_31 said:

@tripod3, can it be used as search radar for SA-5 Gammon SAM, as it was regularly used?

Hi, both P-14 and P-15 are VHF radars, originated from P-12 radar, so you can remove P-15 from S-200 SAM template and put P-14, and SAM site will work properly. 

image.png

Edited by tripod3
  • Like 2

Mr. Croco

21 minutes ago, tripod3 said:

Hi, both P-14 and P-15 are VHF radars, originated from P-12 radar, so you can remove P-15 from S-200 SAM template and put P-14, and SAM site will work properly. 

image.png

Fine.

BTW, in DCS, Gammon SR is called P-19. And, for some reason, it has ST-68U Tin Shield radar, which, I assume, is from SA-11 Grumble

32 minutes ago, tripod3 said:

Slight correction here: P-12 and P-14 are VHF, P-15 is UHF, none of these radars have much in common and their use cases did differ.

However, it is true that the soviet SAM sites could be fed with information from different search/EWR radars. Some of these integrations are direct, and some through posts not available in DCS.

In addition P-14 was complemented by additional IFF radars, so perhaps there is a todo to model these as well.

Maybe I formulated my question not clearly enough.

The point was about using P-14 instead of P-19 of ST-68U in SA-5 site because of their insufficient range. We have weird situation now, when plane is well in firing range, but can't be fired upon, because target illumination radar cannot be aimed on it. I made a test mission, and SAM site didn't found a target.

SA-5 Gammon.miz

Edited by Wild_Weasel_31

15 minutes ago, Wild_Weasel_31 said:

Maybe I formulated my question not clearly enough.

The point was about using P-14 instead of P-19 of ST-68U in SA-5 site because of their insufficient range. We have weird situation now, when plane is well in firing range, but can't be fired upon, because target illumination radar cannot be aimed on it. I made a test mission, and SAM site didn't found a target.

Unfortunately, it´s coded in the LUA of the TR radar: RPC_5N62V.LUA

in line 17: depends_on_unit = { { { "self", 2 } }, { { "RLS_19J6" } }, { { "p-19 s-125 sr" } } },

In order to make the P-14 to work with the S-200, we need the P-14t added to the "depend on unit" line.

Edited by Tarres

7 hours ago, Wild_Weasel_31 said:

So this can be solved only by ED by adding this mod as core mod and changing these LUA files, correct?

They never will do that. Fun is only for products developer want to win. If they begin adding improvements in their potential target modules, then fanboys go crazy sad and frustrated. 

Has been a long journey after Lockon (the Russian version of this simulator) change ownership.

Edited by pepin1234
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 7/5/2023 at 12:06 PM, Tarres said:

Unfortunately it must be added in the RPC_5N62V.LUA that is coded and encrypted in DLL in the core files.

So what's great about that, is you can create a modded version of an SA-5, in theory, to use the in game assets, but with the modified LUA's.... there is a DCS Datamine available with all the requisite files.  Myself and another are working on doing exactly that, but testing is required.

We were able to "fix" the SA-10B in High Digit SAMs to use the Tin Shield, and it worked exactly as intended.

Edited by Whiskey11
  • Like 2

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

On 7/9/2023 at 3:58 AM, Whiskey11 said:

So what's great about that, is you can create a modded version of an SA-5, in theory, to use the in game assets, but with the modified LUA's.... there is a DCS Datamine available with all the requisite files.  Myself and another are working on doing exactly that, but testing is required.

We were able to "fix" the SA-10B in High Digit SAMs to use the Tin Shield, and it worked exactly as intended.

Thank you a lot. I've started SA-5 modding and stopped due to lack of time. 

Mr. Croco

3 hours ago, tripod3 said:

Thank you a lot. I've started SA-5 modding and stopped due to lack of time. 

Don't be too hopeful... we have the assets in game and can be viewed independently of each other, but the minute they are put together, DCS crashes without anything in the crash log or an event viewer event beyond "DCS.exe encountered a problem and closed."  Still in the early stages of investigating the shenanigans required... but work will continue as I'm tired of seeing an SA-5 engage at 60 miles when it can easily reach twice that!  I'd also love to enable the use of this P-14 Tall King as it's search radar... but baby steps!  Now we just need an Odd Pair to go with it! 🙂

Too Many Modules to List

• Solution

@tripod3

Line 60 of sensors.lua should read

declare_sensor(TALL_KING)

it currently reads

declare_sensor(BAR_LOCK)

Due to this small error, the radar does not actually properly detect targets, as it has no valid sensor.

• Like 3

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord

For those who don't want to open LUA files, here is the "fixed" LUA file for the P-14 to work correctly: sensors.lua

Just replace in your Sensors folder to get it to work as a radar:  C:\Users\XXX\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\tech\P-14 Tall King\Database\Sensors

And if you want to use it in something other than just as an EWR, here is a modified SA-5 which can use it as its search radar!:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Too Many Modules to List

• tripod3 changed the title to P-14 Tall King radar - v 1.01
3 hours ago, Recoil16 said:

@tripod3

Line 60 of sensors.lua should read

declare_sensor(TALL_KING)

it currently reads

declare_sensor(BAR_LOCK)

Due to this small error, the radar does not actually properly detect targets, as it has no valid sensor.

Oh, thanks. 

First post updated.

• Like 3

Mr. Croco