MAG VAR IS WRONG

Lau

Hi,

Currently using 1944 WW2 maps for compass navigation training.

Double checked MAG VAR with the hornet at Stoney Cross, getting W 12°25' when it should be around W 10°40'

When will you add the compass rose so we can check MAG VAR like in other DCS maps? ------> Found it ! The compass rose shows a MAG VAR of      W 12°24' at Stoney Cross when it should be around W 10°40'. I was looking for the compass rose in the mission editor, which could be a handy tool there too.

Also noticed that you included a real WW2 map overlay on the F10 map, placing the compass rose over the overlay WW2 MAG VAR lines better illustrates the discrepancies between expected MAG VAR as of 1944 and the current DCS MAG VARs that are off as much as 2 DEG near the real 1944 11 DEG MAG VAR line.

There is a work around which is to just edit my WW2 map in photoshop with DCS MAG VARs info. Alternatively I tried changing the date of the mission and found that 1955 equates to the 1944 MAG VARs.

Best,

Lau

Edited by Lau
  • Like 1

No customer support or modules in an abandoned state can only mean no further investments from ED’s customers. ED and third party developers are solely responsible for the level of features completeness at which they decide to release their modules.  Taking in to account customers feedback as well as finishing the products is paramount. After release, modules should be playable with important essential features completed at very early stages after the release, including bug fixes. ED & partners staffs should grow with the addition of newer modules in order to not diminish the level of customer support or further delay delivery as per the initial sales agreement. The virtual world we fly with our modules is equally important; there is no way around AI, real weather and the earth map. Thank you

• Lau changed the title to MAG VAR IS WRONG

The map alone doesn't tell the magnetic variation, the date the mission is set on does. Have you checked that?

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Hi Ala13,

Yes, I am aware of that thanks,

This is how I managed to get Normandy 2.0 MAG VAR for 1944 as stated (6th of June to be precise) at Stoney Cross using the hornet MCPD, W 12°25'. Did you check that before posting?

No offense here, I know you are trying to help, but please read my initial message and do a bit of testing before trying to contribute.

The map is supposed to be a recreation of France and the UK during WW2, hence it will be expected to comply with WW2 maps which are the best reference material for the dev team and which I am certain they have extensively used.

MAG VAR is just wrong.

Best,

Lau

No customer support or modules in an abandoned state can only mean no further investments from ED’s customers. ED and third party developers are solely responsible for the level of features completeness at which they decide to release their modules.  Taking in to account customers feedback as well as finishing the products is paramount. After release, modules should be playable with important essential features completed at very early stages after the release, including bug fixes. ED & partners staffs should grow with the addition of newer modules in order to not diminish the level of customer support or further delay delivery as per the initial sales agreement. The virtual world we fly with our modules is equally important; there is no way around AI, real weather and the earth map. Thank you

57 minutes ago, Lau said:

The map is supposed to be a recreation of France and the UK during WW2, hence it will be expected to comply with WW2 maps which are the best reference material for the dev team and which I am certain they have extensively used.

MAG VAR is just wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, all maps in DCS use magnetic declination data supplied by ED. Meaning, it's not something that Ugra, or any other 3rd party, can alter.

Dima | My DCS uploads

Mag var for Stoney Cross 1944 was, 11.0 W. From the OS map. 10' E change per year.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

5 hours ago, Holbeach said:

Mag var for Stoney Cross 1944 was, 11.0 W. From the OS map. 10' E change per year.

Nor in game, nor in real life MAG VAR was 11°00' W at Stoney Cross, something you are doing wrong. The Hornet reads directly from DCS MAG VAR data base, but you can still get an approximation by using the measure tool on the in game map, you will be given two numbers (TH and MH). The delta in between these two numbers is the MAG VAR. You get 12° at Stoney Cross. The 11°00' MAG VAR line you are referencing passes about 25 NM West of Stoney Cross in any real 1944 WW2 map.

6 hours ago, Minsky said:

If I'm not mistaken, all maps in DCS use magnetic declination data supplied by ED. Meaning, it's not something that Ugra, or any other 3rd party, can alter.

DCS has come a long way and both 3rd party and ED teams are full of resources, nothing prevents them from searching for solutions that will continue enhancing their products and more importantly, meet the promised standards they have made to us, dedicated customers. 

I have done a couple of flights from Stoney Cross to Odiham and to be honest I am not impressed by the graphics quality, specially the two airstrips, nor the performance on big cities (e.g. Le Havre in MT). Talking about big cities, I purchased the map based on the advertising based on London and Paris, but there is a massive quality gap everywhere else in the map, the map is also small. 

MAG VAR is just numbers in a data base, hopefully Ugra can make up for the lack of quality of this map by offering technical realism when it comes to navigating WW2 style over the map.

Yes, I am tired of excuses when it comes to delivering expensive products and I hope the map will continue improving over time. I certainly give them a chance to do so, this is my second map from this company with the Syrian map.

Best,

Lau

22 hours ago, Lau said:

Nor in game, nor in real life MAG VAR was 11°00' W at Stoney Cross, something you are doing wrong.

Best,

Lau

Well you decide.

Stoney Cross Ordinance Survey map for Jan 1948 states Var 10 20'W, this makes Jan 1944, 11.0'W.

DCS Jan 1944, shows 11.0' to be at Dungeness.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

53 minutes ago, Holbeach said:

Well you decide.

Stoney Cross Ordinance Survey map for Jan 1948 states Var 10 20'W, this makes Jan 1944, 11.0'W.

DCS Jan 1944, shows 11.0' to be at Dungeness.

So this is what you meant by OS, thought it meant Operating System, hence I could not ID your source of information. I did not manage to find the info you are referring to in the OS site, but never mind since, 10°40' or 11°00' still means MAG VAR is off in game with 12°24' at Stoney Cross. Since I decide : )) I rather stick with an information source from actual maps used by pilots in 1944 daily. This map was actually used by Ugra to overlay the Normandy 2.0, nice touch.

I have updated my initial message with my findings and experiments to try to work around this navigation problem in the mean time.

Best and thank you for your contribution,

Lau

16 hours ago, Lau said:

So this is what you meant by OS, thought it meant Operating System, hence I could not ID your source of information. I did not manage to find the info you are referring to in the OS site, but never mind since, 10°40' or 11°00' still means MAG VAR is off in game with 12°24' at Stoney Cross. Since I decide : )) I rather stick with an information source from actual maps used by pilots in 1944 daily. This map was actually used by Ugra to overlay the Normandy 2.0, nice touch.

I have updated my initial message with my findings and experiments to try to work around this navigation problem in the mean time.

Best and thank you for your contribution,

Lau

Refining the Mag variation to June 1944 and applying OS grid correction, works out at 10 39'W.

Maybe you could alter the DCS date to correspond. 1 degree per 6 years retarded, so Jan 1934 ish.

My only interest in Stoney Cross, is I camped there overnight on the airfield, mid 90's and barbied local sourced Venison

Very tasty..

• 8 months later...

Thanks for having fixed this, a real treat to be able to use WW2 real maps MAG Var with the SIM and with the correct date.

Best,

Lau