DCS: WWII Assets Pack - B-17G Livery Competition Template improvement Discussion

36 minutes ago, Helles Belle said:

Thanks for the explanation. I wish they would change it. I haven't deleted mine or will change it. Can the roughmets be put in the mod folder of the saved games folder?

Yeah, deleting it is not the solution until ED remove it from the game and use roughmets. Leaving it as is for now is the only way because as you say every update will put it back. This will only frustrate those that download skins and don't delete or modify the file every time. 

The only solution to enter the competition is to leave the json file as is and make skins that will use it. Fortunately olive drab/matt comes out ok. Unfortunately aluminium looks rubbish grey.

Yeah, I have simply used the two files b_17g_rotorblured_d.ddsfile B_17G_ROTOR_D.dds and made them whatever colour I like.

Change the lua as required.

No.  They must be placed in the Coremods folder where the core texture zip folder or just folder resides.  

If you're using specs, DELETE the json together.  However, note that the skin will not work in Multiplayer.  ED still needs to fix that.  

If you enable Roughmets via the described prices, specs will no longer work. At all.  

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

18 hours ago, Mach3DS said:

No.  They must be placed in the Coremods folder where the core texture zip folder or just folder resides.  

If you're using specs, DELETE the json together.  However, note that the skin will not work in Multiplayer.  ED still needs to fix that.  

If you enable Roughmets via the described prices, specs will no longer work. At all.  

I’ve now got the roughmets working by putting them in the mods section of the saved games folder, so no need to put them in the game folder.

I’ve yet to do a test to see if I can run both roughmets and specs side by side successfully. I.e. so the game or other user liveries can still use specs.

It’s a bit of a workaround and what I’m aiming for is to have the liveries downloaded using specs. But if the user wants they can download & install the roughmets in their saved games folder. All that should be required is a change of the lua.

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Interesting... let us know how it works out.

Still, the bottom line is what ED is going to finally do? I suspect it will be nothing. I'm not sure what they really expect from this contest.

19 hours ago, Helles Belle said:

Yeah, I have simply used the two files b_17g_rotorblured_d.ddsfile B_17G_ROTOR_D.dds and made them whatever colour I like.

Change the lua as required.

Still not working for me. I have one skin file using roughmets and one with SPECS. Neither shows black dome when prop spinning. Pretty sure I have the lua correct.

1 hour ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Still, the bottom line is what ED is going to finally do? I suspect it will be nothing. I'm not sure what they really expect from this contest.

Still not working for me. I have one skin file using roughmets and one with SPECS. Neither shows black dome when prop spinning. Pretty sure I have the lua correct.

Agreed.  Unfortunately, If there's no change to the way it works natively, I simply will not be submitting my work.  I refuse to use SPECs anymore.  Especially since it doesn't work correctly.  And the file , even if you alter it, will be replaced again when you install any update.   So that's about it for SPECs for me.  Especially since this is for a paid only product that only purchasees can see to begin with.  Roughmets should be adopted. 

Edited by Mach3DS
  • Like 1

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

10 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

I’m away for a few days but I’ll send you the lua when I get home. DM me if I haven’t posted it by Wednesday.

9 hours ago, Mach3DS said:

Interesting.  I wonder, does it work for aircraft that are in the coremods folder?

Yep, it brings up the game B-17 all shiny aluminium, but it does have roughmets for it in the saved games mod folder. I haven’t looked at it’s lua yet.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, Helles Belle said:

I’m away for a few days but I’ll send you the lua when I get home. DM me if I haven’t posted it by Wednesday.

Yep, it brings up the game B-17 all shiny aluminium, but it does have roughmets for it in the saved games mod folder. I haven’t looked at it’s lua yet.

That's really interesting!  Because IIRC in the past it never used to work to get the RM enabled via Saved games.  So that's a neat revelation!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

58 minutes ago, Mach3DS said:

That's really interesting!  Because IIRC in the past it never used to work to get the RM enabled via Saved games.  So that's a neat revelation!

I wasn’t expecting it that’s for sure but I thought I’d give it a try as I hate putting stuff in the game folder.

I’ve yet to do more testing and tweaking but hopefully it works.

As the game only has one livery for now it’s hard to tell what will happen with more liveries.

Edited by Helles Belle

image.jpeg

On 7/10/2023 at 4:28 PM, Mike Busutil said:

Thank you Urbi,

I think this is most likely my issue.

I edit the Photoshop files, I then save them as a BMP.

Then I drop this file into Dxtbmp and save as a DDS DXT3 file.

For the fuselage, I am saving this file as "B-17G_Fuzelage_1_D" and placing it in my skin folder with the description file.

I am then copying this file and naming it "B-17G_Fuzelage_2_D so now I have both fuselage files.

Is this incorrect?

No. The template is 8192*4096. There is a guide going through the template at 4096, so you should use the guide to cut up the main diffuse into 4096*4096 textures and then save them individually. The left side of the fuse template is texture 1, the right is 2. Same with the wings.

• Thanks 1

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

On 7/13/2023 at 5:30 AM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

See above post. Do you have any idea what I need to do to get the spinner dome to show as black? Please, no obscure "find your mistake"...

Hi Mate

I have made a template for the Painted ROTOR and Rotorblured  and an example of how to set up the Spinner paint is added just read the desciption  file.

B-17G Painted ROTOR Template.zip

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 12:36 PM, Art-J said:

Mach3Ds's screen show exactly why livery duplicate is needed, and is not a "waste of time", contrary to Urbi's twisted argument, which doesn't make much sense really (I'll give him a benefit of doubt - language barrier?).  Warlord/Keefyboy's "Flak Eater" skin linked to previously was great in 2017 (DCS 2.0) when it was uploaded to User Files, but it's simply not compatible with DCS 2.8.xx now. This is how it looks in current version and this is why it needs to be redone by whoever wants to do it:

Screen_230711_133334.jpg

Hi Art-j

I have made a new  b-17glods.json  file  to achieve any combination of reflection  from  Brushed to Mirror and anything inbetween.

This will also Automatically  be applied to and  Enhance  the Default B-17 Skin as well as  Pre-made  Custom Skins with NO Texture Editing required.

This will work with My "Flak Eater" skin from 2017.

Regards

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Warlord64 said:

Hi Art-j

I have made a new  b-17glods.json  file  to achieve any combination of reflection  from  Brushed to Mirror and anything inbetween.

This will also Automatically  be applied to and  Enhance  the Default B-17 Skin as well as  Pre-made  Custom Skins with NO Texture Editing required.

Regards

Keith

AFAIK we don't want any work around required for Liveries.  Including deleting the json file altogether.  Which doesnt do.the same thing as replacing it with yours does.  The reason being, is that when people update, the updater will overwrite that file with the default one.  On every update.  If it doesn't anymore, than that's news to me, because it's done that for the last several years.  ED needs to move the B-17 to native RMs.  That's the real solution.  

Edited by Mach3DS
  • Like 2

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

12 hours ago, Warlord64 said:

Hi Art-j

Regards

Keith

Thanks Warlord64

I´ve tried your .json file and works wonders but is for a mirror reflection version. 

Do you have a version with a brushed, less reflective one?

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

2 hours ago, Esac_mirmidon said:

Thanks Warlord64

I´ve tried your .json file and works wonders but is for a mirror reflection version. 

Just delete it.  Set whatever you want using the textures.  

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

2 hours ago, Esac_mirmidon said:

Thanks Warlord64

Hi Mate Thanks

For the Diffuse  Skin base colour I use a light Grey (949694) 

When Making the Specular Skins  the base colour needs to be almost White for the Mirror Effect ( fffbff )   and  a Medium Mauve ( c03ed0) for  Brushed Effect BUT variations of Mauve  will give contrasting results so just experiment with  it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mach3DS said:

AFAIK we don't want any work around required for Liveries.  Including deleting the json file altogether.  Which does the same thing as replacing it with yours.  The reason being, is that when people update, the updater will overwrite that file with the default one.  On every update.  If it doesn't anymore, than that's news to me, because it's done that for the last several years.  ED needs to move the B-17 to native RMs.  That's the real solution.  

Let folks make their own choice  to go with whatever method suits them rather than just dismissing an alternative option.

If the update overwrites the json    just replace it again it takes 2 seconds and until ED  moves to RM  then We have to find our own work arounds.

I was just giving a solution I found that worked and was a simple fix that  greatly improved the default specularity.

Also when I Delete the json     the skins default back to the  original Glossy  Grey settings and are devoid of any depth of  Specular shine.

Edited by Warlord64

Ok, thanks.

I will try to edit the files myself. Limited knowledge but i will try.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Does anyone else find it disappointing that there has been absolutely no word from ED regarding their plans regarding the json, specs, roughmets (other than the one reply from nineline to my initial question)? We are putting a lot of effort into these skins but have our hands somewhat tied regarding the final look of our skins. 

Please ED, don't throw an announcement that you've decided to switch to roughmets a couple of days before the end of this contest. If (as it seems) there will be no change and it will remain as it is presently, let us know now. 

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Warlord64 said:

Let folks make their own choice  to go with whatever method suits them rather than just dismissing an alternative option.

If the update overwrites the json    just replace it again it takes 2 seconds and until ED  moves to RM  then We have to find our own work arounds.

I was just giving a solution I found that worked and was a simple fix that  greatly improved the default specularity.

Also when I Delete the json     the skins default back to the  original Grey settings and are devoid of any depth of  Specular shine.

That's because you're supposed to edit the external materials using the texture.  Not the Json.  So delete the json, then edit the specs.  This will give you full control.  

Yes, agreed.  People can use whatever method they please.  The point is that it's silly to keep using a system that is long obsolete, and the best solution is quite simple to implememt.

Edited by Mach3DS

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I'm currently working on B-17G-25-BO

Serial #42-31684 "Joker"

How awesome would it be if ED made a professional flight model of the B-17 where we could have multiple players join in the same module for bombing missions and defending from fighters...

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.07.17 - 23.20.26.90.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.07.17 - 23.07.19.86.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.07.17 - 23.14.33.97.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.07.17 - 23.12.13.19.png

Edited by Mike Busutil
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Warlord64 said:

Also when I Delete the json     the skins default back to the  original Grey settings and are devoid of any depth of  Specular shine.

He's got a point, though. If this thread was just about making custom skins look better, than anything goes, including deleting or modding any files necessary. They're custom content after all.

But many of the tweaks suggested here are off-topic / irrelevant in the competition which is about stock skins that are all supposed to work out-of-the-box for all DCS customers, without touching any files.

At least that's what the current situation is, unless ED does the last-minute update of their official json and template (which with every passing week seems more unlikely?).

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

1 hour ago, Art-J said:

He's got a point, though. If this thread was just about making custom skins look better, than anything goes, including deleting or modding any files necessary. They're custom content after all.

But many of the tweaks suggested here are off-topic / irrelevant in the competition which is about stock skins that are all supposed to work out-of-the-box for all DCS customers, without touching any files.

At least that's what the current situation is, unless ED does the last-minute update of their official json and template (which with every passing week seems more unlikely?).

Thank You Art-j

As You say the skins should be  stock skins that are all supposed to work out-of-the-box for all DCS customers, without touching any files but every body is unhappy with the original  ED lack of specularity.

The Work around I did with the JSON  file was just to take the Glossy Grey Default Skin and give it a proper Metallic finish and because the JSON  is a root texture file it will by default automatically apply the change to ALL the skins in the Liveries folder  the same way the original JSON file did.

Even if ED does implement RMs Not everyone has the time, inclination or ability(Me for One) to go into every individual skin and tweak the Channels RGB   of every RM dds.

Regards

Keith

Edited by Warlord64
  • Like 1