Mouse cursor is black now in video recordings

SMH

For some time now the mouse cursor has appeared black in video recordings instead of the yellow cursor we see in the game.

I know it's not just me as I see the black cursor in Wags' videos as well. Particularly for tutorial videos this makes it really hard for the viewer to see what you're clicking on. 

I'm video capturing with the NVidia GeForce Experience app (what used to be called Shadow Play). I haven't tried any others yet but I'm going to give OBS a try right now. Also I fly on a regular display, not VR.

Example...

Edited by SMH

• 1 month later...

Hey did you find out any information on this?

This issue has been happening to me for the better part of a year and it's been driving me up a wall! It never used to happen, I have plenty of old recordings where the natural cursor is displaying properly; it's only the recordings in the past year or so where they've been showing up as black in the recordings. I can't figure out how to fix it, and I can't seem to find any helpful posts online about other people having the same issue, other than your post. I'm just now realizing from this post that it's happening to Wags too... It must be a core game issue that causes DCS to not work well with Nvidia ShadowPlay for whatever reason, right?

My temporary remedy for this has been to install and use YoloMouse. It's free with ads (IIRC); OR, it's also on Steam for like $3 with no ads. YoloMouse allows you to switch all the cursors a program uses, so I downloaded a free cursor pack that is decently close to the cursors already used in DCS; colored crosses red/green for cursor and general buttons (red for cursor and it turns green when over a button), a green switch looking cursor (for switches), and a hand-grabber looking cursor (for dials). It works decently well if you would like to try that, I can upload the cursors that I use if you would like me to too... but, yeah I would vastly prefer to have the natural in-game cursors displaying properly in ShadowPlay recordings over the kinda knockoff-looking YoloMouse ones. Here, I'll upload a few screenshots so you can see how my YoloMouse cursors are (attached). [A-10C II Cockpit: Red crosshair is left of the HUD window in the first pic, in the second pic the green crosshair is on the left MFCD's OSB 19, in the third image the green switch cursor is on the Master Arm Switch, and in the final image, if these get uploaded in order that is, the green hand-grabber looking cursor thing is on the ADI Pitch Trim Knob in the middle there.]

If anyone figures out a solution to the natural, in-game, yellow/green cursors turning black during Nvidia ShadowPlay recordings and how to fix or even just remedy it please let me know, I would really appreciate it a lot!!!

(oh, come to think of it, let me upload a couple screenshots of what the black cursor looks like too, in case any dev's or knowledgeable people see my post. OK SO... my YoloMouse Cursor replacements are displayed in the A-10C II Cockpit screenshots, and the black crosshair bug is displayed in the F/A-18C cockpit screenshots- hopefully that'll avoid some confusion. [In the first F/A-18C cockpit screenshot, the black crosshair is just to the right of the COMM 1 Volume Knob; in the second screenshot, the black crosshair is on the right MFCD's OSB 18; and in the third screenshot, the black crosshair is to the left of the HUD window])

If any devs or knowledgeable people would like more information from me, please contact me, I would love nothing more than to resolve this issue- it's quite frustrating!

YoloMouse Red Crosshair.png

YoloMouse Green Crosshair.png

YoloMouse Green Switch.png

YoloMouse Green Grabber.png

DCS Default Cursor Black Bug in ShadowPlay Recordings 1.png

DCS Default Cursor Black Bug in ShadowPlay Recordings 2.png

1 minute ago, wendigo said:

This issue has been happening to me for the better part of a year and it's been driving me up a wall! It never used to happen, I have plenty of old recordings where the natural cursor is displaying properly; it's only the recordings in the past year or so where they've been showing up as black in the recordings. I can't figure out how to fix it, and I can't seem to find any helpful posts online about other people having the same issue, other than your post. I'm just now realizing from this post that it's happening to Wags too... It must be a core game issue that causes DCS to not work well with Nvidia ShadowPlay for whatever reason, right?

My temporary remedy for this has been to install and use YoloMouse. It's free with ads (IIRC); OR, it's also on Steam for like $3 with no ads. YoloMouse allows you to switch all the cursors a program uses, so I downloaded a free cursor pack that is decently close to the cursors already used in DCS; colored crosses red/green for cursor and general buttons (red for cursor and it turns green when over a button), a green switch looking cursor (for switches), and a hand-grabber looking cursor (for dials). It works decently well if you would like to try that, I can upload the cursors that I use if you would like me to too... but, yeah I would vastly prefer to have the natural in-game cursors displaying properly in ShadowPlay recordings over the kinda knockoff-looking YoloMouse ones. Here, I'll upload a few screenshots so you can see how my YoloMouse cursors are (attached). [A-10C II Cockpit: Red crosshair is left of the HUD window in the first pic, in the second pic the green crosshair is on the left MFCD's OSB 19, in the third image the green switch cursor is on the Master Arm Switch, and in the final image, if these get uploaded in order that is, the green hand-grabber looking cursor thing is on the ADI Pitch Trim Knob in the middle there.]

If anyone figures out a solution to the natural, in-game, yellow/green cursors turning black during Nvidia ShadowPlay recordings and how to fix or even just remedy it please let me know, I would really appreciate it a lot!!!

(oh, come to think of it, let me upload a couple screenshots of what the black cursor looks like too, in case any dev's or knowledgeable people see my post. OK SO... my YoloMouse Cursor replacements are displayed in the A-10C II Cockpit screenshots, and the black crosshair bug is displayed in the F/A-18C cockpit screenshots- hopefully that'll avoid some confusion. [In the first F/A-18C cockpit screenshot, the black crosshair is just to the right of the COMM 1 Volume Knob; in the second screenshot, the black crosshair is on the right MFCD's OSB 18; and in the third screenshot, the black crosshair is to the left of the HUD window])

If any devs or knowledgeable people would like more information from me, please contact me, I would love nothing more than to resolve this issue- it's quite frustrating!

The third black crosshair screenshot didn't get uploaded for some reason; here it is!

DCS Default Cursor Black Bug in ShadowPlay Recordings 3.png

our words are backed with nuclear weapons!.png

i'm dumber than a box of soft hammers; taking my word on anything would be folly

• 2 weeks later...

I've verified it doesn't happen with OBS, just with NVidia's recorder. (Any other video recording/streaming products that it happens with?)

And yeah, it's happening in Wags' videos so you'd think it would be a priority for them. Makes it very hard to follow the tutorial when you can't see what he's pointing at!

• 2 weeks later...

It only cropped up early this year, if I recall correctly. You can pretty much tell by watching Wags' new-feature/training videos, at some point his mouse cursor goes black and nobody can see what he's pointing at. 

On 9/20/2023 at 10:28 PM, wendigo said:

The third black crosshair screenshot didn't get uploaded for some reason; here it is!

DCS Default Cursor Black Bug in ShadowPlay Recordings 3.png

YoloMouse helped me so much. Thanks man!

On 10/15/2023 at 3:27 PM, zinzin said:

YoloMouse helped me so much. Thanks man!

Glad it helped you!!

On 10/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, SMH said:

Does YoloMouse pass IC?

SMH, honestly I have so many mods that I always fail IC; however, I do believe it's just an overlay, so I doubt it. I did just go into multiplayer to check my failing IC message for you though and didn't see anything that looked like YoloMouse. Try the trial out, see if it works; it's free. I do suggest getting some custom crosshair style cursors if you end up using it though, because the default ones are kind of <profanity>ty and rainbow-y.

• Like 1

our words are backed with nuclear weapons!.png

i'm dumber than a box of soft hammers; taking my word on anything would be folly

23 minutes ago, wendigo said:

Glad it helped you!!

SMH, honestly I have so many mods that I always fail IC; however, I do believe it's just an overlay, so I doubt it. I did just go into multiplayer to check my failing IC message for you though and didn't see anything that looked like YoloMouse. Try the trial out, see if it works; it's free. I do suggest getting some custom crosshair style cursors if you end up using it though, because the default ones are kind of <profanity>ty and rainbow-y.

Multiplayer is my main thing so that's pretty important to me. I'll give the trial a try, thanks. Perhaps it doesn't modify the executable but rather, changes the cursor on the go? (Does it run as a separate app while you play or does it run one time and modify the game exe? Like, do you have to re-apply it after ever update? If the latter I'd definitely expect it to not pass IC.)

Ah! I see it says "does not affect any game files" so that's a good sign!

https://pandateemo.github.io/YoloMouse/

Edited by SMH

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Romagnolo said:

Good to know I'm not the only one with the same problem. Too bad no solution to fix it is available. YoloMouse seems a good alternative, I'll give it a try. 

Recording with OBS instead of NVidia's recorder is another work-around. The cursor looks correct in OBS. (Which might indicate it's actually NVidia's bug, but then it used to work with DCS.)

• 3 months later...

You mean it's black in your video recordings, or ingame?

EDIT: Oh, I've seen your post in the other thread. Let's resume the conversation out there.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

It's Black when I am in VR {HPg2}  I never had this issue prior to today's update.

Edited by Rocky49

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

maybe

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

LOL! Don't know, I don't VR.

I did note the yellow cross cursor has a black border around it now which makes it a bit easier to see against backgrounds like bright tan desert. It's also once again recording correctly with NVidia Experience (aka Shadowplay) where for a long time it was coming out black in the videos (including Wags' content). Now it's yellow again (though, actually, I just checked and I don't see its black border in the recordings). 

I posted a separate thread on this as well, except mine is focused on VR.  No matter if I use Yolomouse to replace the cursor or not.. it remains black in VR even after full repairs, full reinstall, clearing of graphics drivers and flushing of WMR VR applications. 

Only way I can spot it inside a dark cockpit is to enable the flashlight for the surrounding glow 🙂

Edited by DroptheHammer

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

• 2 weeks later...