DCS on drive no longer big enough

swaps
Go to solution Solved by swaps,

Hi,

I have been away from DCS for about a year and want to get back into it. DCS wants to update but dive is not big enough. I have another SSD that I can put it on but dont know how to swaps it to the new drive ? I dont want to lose the planes I have and have also thought about going on to the beta. so what is the easiest way to change the drive and maybe go on to beta at the same time without losing my planes ?

Thanks All Alan

Are you going to keep your Windows installation?
If yes, just install the new drive and move the DCS installation to the new drive. Fix the shortcuts so they point to the new drive. Do a repair for good measure and update.
OpenBeta. After the procedure above. Download the OpenBeta installer, and install in parallel on the new drive.
Now, you could convert your Stable to OpenBeta. It's quicker, but you have to do it with command line command/syntax. You good with that?
You should also get Skatezilla's excellent GUI Updater/Launcher app. No need for shortcuts. Easier to do repairs, swap between versions and much more.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I will be keeping the windows installation so I can just drag and drop DCS to the new drive ? its already installed. I can update the  shortcut no problem but will DCS not continue to download the updates to the old drive ? I know how to copy and paste command lines but that's about my limit. no idea how to go about installing the game in in parallel, I really just want it all on the new drive.

Thanks Alan

@swaps

25 minutes ago, swaps said:

I will be keeping the windows installation so I can just drag and drop DCS to the new drive ?

Yes!

25 minutes ago, swaps said:

I can update the  shortcut no problem but will DCS not continue to download the updates to the old drive ?

No. Because the _downloads folder is contained in the installation folder.

image.png

27 minutes ago, swaps said:

I know how to copy and paste command lines but that's about my limit.

Get Skate's tool then. You will want it anyway, even if you don't need it if you want both installations.

28 minutes ago, swaps said:

no idea how to go about installing the game in in parallel, I really just want it all on the new drive.

Just download the OpenBeta installer and choose your new drive as the target, and it will install in parallel. No magic to it. 😉
And it will pull the files needed that are similar form the Stable _downloads folder. It's really straight forward.

image.png

10 hours ago, swaps said:

I will be keeping the windows installation so I can just drag and drop DCS to the new drive ? its already installed. I can update the  shortcut no problem but will DCS not continue to download the updates to the old drive ? I know how to copy and paste command lines but that's about my limit. no idea how to go about installing the game in in parallel, I really just want it all on the new drive.

Thanks Alan

To anyone reading this, that's the only reason the OP won't be facing the problem with controller GUID identifier mismatch. At least to my knowledge.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/84289-backup-and-restore-input-files-always-a-problem/

• Like 1

• Solution
On 9/10/2023 at 10:08 PM, MAXsenna said:

@swaps

Yes!

No. Because the _downloads folder is contained in the installation folder.

image.png

Get Skate's tool then. You will want it anyway, even if you don't need it if you want both installations.

Just download the OpenBeta installer and choose your new drive as the target, and it will install in parallel. No magic to it. 😉
And it will pull the files needed that are similar form the Stable _downloads folder. It's really straight forward.

image.png

Thanks, I will give that a try

Alan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For the life of me I cannot see where the installer gives a option WHERE to install the new beta despite saying the selected drive is to small which is a ssd where the previous DCS is installed which indeed it is to small.

A new FULL install on another much larger drive might be in order.

Edited by JIMJAM

1 hour ago, JIMJAM said:

For the life of me I cannot see where the installer gives a option WHERE to install the new beta despite saying the selected drive is to small which is a ssd where the previous DCS is installed which indeed it is to small.

A new FULL install on another much larger drive might be in order.

do you have DCS installed already on the drive that's too small? if so look here. see second post. essentially move folders to new drive.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain