New Varjo Aero Owner - All round same as the Reverb G2 except with stunning clarity?

obious

I've had my Aero for about an hour now and whilst the clarity truly is stunning, I'm really struggling with the 'other' things (bear in mind that I'm coming from a Quest Pro).

When looking striaght ahead (this isn't just a DCS thing for me, I see it in the 'home' screen also) I can see the flat bottom edge of the display. I've tried to adjust the strap but that doesn't really help. 

There's also clear 'warping'/bending/distortion of the image whenever I look at something at the edges of the display and I move my head in that direction.

I'm getting serious Reverb G2 vibes after using this headset for the past 30 mins. Anyone else feel the same?

Edited by obious

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Try adjusting the vertical position and tilt of the headset, there's a lot of adjustment and it normally takes a little while to nail it all down perfectly.
I only see the warping (most apparent in varjo base grid environment) at the very far bottom peripheral corner, it was much worse when I had the headset too high 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Strange IIRC the bit of warping was an issue very early on that got resolved I thought through some updates. Can't say I see any of that. Yeah vertical FOV is pretty small , I got used to it fairly quickly though and am able to fit my headset where the edge is not so prevalent. In short, does not bother me.

Suggest if you are not get on Varjo's Discord. Plenty of very knowledgeable guys that are always glad to help, including a Varjo tech guy. You will get probably more and faster help there. I know edmuss is on there as well.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've had my Aero since Sept 08 and it is quite an adjustment coming from an Index. I have only just in the past hour managed to get DFR working. There is a wealth of info available, but much of what's written is confusing. Getting eye tracking going takes a bit of effort, but I can see from DFR that it is working. I'm really not experiencing significant warping in game and chromatic aberration is minimal. Red shift is not a factor in game either. Small FOV definitely works against the Aero in Il-2 GB dogfights. Thus far I have been unable to solve the double cursor problem which is really vexing. With a 3090Ti I am getting much higher FPS in the Aero than in the Index which seems paradoxical. Not exactly plug and play.  🙂

Edited by Stellatny45

5 hours ago, Stellatny45 said:

I've had my Aero since Sept 08 and it is quite an adjustment coming from an Index. I have only just in the past hour managed to get DFR working. There is a wealth of info available, but much of what's written is confusing. Getting eye tracking going takes a bit of effort, but I can see from DFR that it is working. I'm really not experiencing significant warping in game and chromatic abberration is minimal. Red shift is not a factor in game either. Small FOV definitely works against the Aero in Il-2 GB dogfights. Thus far I have been unable to solve the double cursor problem which is really vexing. With a 3090Ti I am getting much higher FPS in the Aero than in the Index which seems paradoxical. Not exactly plug and play.  🙂

You may have already tried this but This DCS World DFR guide says its due to using the standard single-threaded game engine and switching to multi-threaded fixes it....

2 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Give it 10-20hrs and you'll see if you adjust or not.  I have reverb G2 nostalgia when i got my Aero but after a week or two it vanished never to return! 

I saw a huge difference between my G2 and Aero almost immediately first time I used the Aero.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 hours ago, Wilcino said:

You may have already tried this but This DCS World DFR guide says its due to using the standard single-threaded game engine and switching to multi-threaded fixes it....

I am using the bin-mt exe with force openxr script added. Correct me if I am wrong but I didn't think it possible to get DFR running if using the ST exe.

You’ll get use to the transition it takes a week or or 2. It just keeps getting better and better honestly. I would highly recommend balancing the Aero out with the Studio form Creative add on it made a huge comfort improvement to the Varjo Aero. 

https://www.studioformcreative.com/

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020