DLSS & VR

davidrbarnette

I am blown away by this update. 

90fps on the G2 without motion reprojection (and its artifacts), even on busy MP servers. 

Feel like I've been waiting for this forever. 

The only downside is that planes in the distance look like a blury dark spot but I can leave with that. 

Edited by noxyd
  • Like 1

Aorus Z690i, 13600K @5.5ghz, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3600 C16, SSD WD SN850 black, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBRD + MongoosT50 CM2 grip

Noxyd can you please share Settings I have G2 and had these fps to start, strangely cant get back there now....frustrating

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

3 hours ago, twistking said:

I would be interested in seeing how DLAA and DLSS compare visually, if you set your high pixel density for use with DLSS and compare to DLAA not with native res, but with a resolution that gives similar fps to the DLSS setup. Or in other words: DLSS with high pixel vs DLAA with pixel density slightly higher than native to matching fps.

I'm doing a lot of testing at the moment. From my experience I can't see any difference between the two at the same pixel density. DLSS looks the same as DLAA but with a 20+fps boost. I guess this needs more testing, but for me DLSS wins at the moment. We need to remember that this is still a beta so things will change and improve. Please try it out and see what works for you. 

• Thanks 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

7 hours ago, Marshallman said:

Noxyd can you please share Settings I have G2 and had these fps to start, strangely cant get back there now....frustrating

I didn’t touch anything, just set DLSS to quality, disabled OXR Toolkit, disabled reprojection in OXR tool for WMR and even enabled shadows that I disabled a while ago when it got buggy.

I will Provide screenshot of the settings as soon as I can. 

NB: I realize my signature wasn’t updated with current hardware 

Edited by noxyd
  • Thanks 1

Aorus Z690i, 13600K @5.5ghz, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3600 C16, SSD WD SN850 black, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBRD + MongoosT50 CM2 grip

I am 100% blown away by this update. I just tried today and this was the most enjoyable time I had in DCS. Finally is on par with MSFS and IL2 interns of VR performance and quality.

For those struggling with goshting, after many hours of testing in MSFS (and this is 100% applicable to DCS 2.9) the trick for me is using DLSS in quality, which basically provides around 30fps extra on what I usually had before and then crank up SS (supersampling). I tried 1.3 and was super smooth and and very clear.

Edit: Pixel Density in DCS options should have equivalent effect/performance as supersampling (which I personally change through Oculus Tray Tool or Oculus Debug Tool)

This gives me the best combination of quality and performance than any other option (DLAA, MSAA, etc).

This is with Quest2 + 3080 12Gb + 5800x3d.

Edited by TenienteDan
  • Like 1

vor 28 Minuten schrieb TenienteDan:

I am 100% blown away by this update. I just tried today and this was the most enjoyable time I had in DCS. Finally is on par with MSFS and IL2 interns of VR performance and quality.

For those struggling with goshting, after many hours of testing in MSFS (and this is 100% applicable to DCS 2.9) the trick for me is using DLSS in quality, which basically provides around 30fps extra on what I usually had before and then crank up SS (supersampling). I tried 1.3 and was super smooth and and very clear.

This gives me the best combination of quality and performance than any other option (DLAA, MSAA, etc).

This is with Quest2 + 3080 12Gb + 5800x3d.

This is the way!

vor 2 Stunden schrieb TenienteDan:

How do you reach the SS? Where do you set it and in which tool do you set it?

• Like 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb A.F.:

VR settings tab. Pixel Density. Or other tool, depending on headset and OpenXR runtime used. (oculus, steamvr, wmr)

Edited by Sile
  • Like 1

Another game changer Guys!!!! Pixel density full right to 2.5........ thankyou!!!
Not sure how it works on other cards but on 4090.....awesome.....and so it bloody should for the money 🙂

Edited by Marshallman
Spelling

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

hace 4 horas, A.F. dijo:

hace 2 horas, Lorenzo.D dijo:

The supersampling Is the PD that we have in dcs options?

Inviato dal mio CPH2219 utilizzando Tapatalk

I think @Sile is right. 

I personally change supersampling in Oculus debug tool or oculus tray tool, but changing Pixel density in DCS VR options would achieve the same.

I think is also possible to change it via Steam VR but I recommend not using steam VR and use OpenXR instead.

• Like 1

You can also use QVFR to increase the resolution of just the centre region. The advantage of this is that it is much less demanding than supersampling the whole image. 
Can openxr toolkit do the same or must i unistall it and install qvfr?

Inviato dal mio CPH2219 utilizzando Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Marshallman said:

Another game changer Guys!!!! Pixel density full right to 2.5........ thankyou!!!
Not sure how it works on other cards but on 4090.....awesome.....and so it bloody should for the money 🙂

What headset are you using? What native render res on the on your headset? Going with Oculus's 1.3x (72hz) native res, then another at 1.3PD in DCS, I basically will get the same frame time as 1.3x with MSAA2x. I have a 5800x3d/4090. For me, it's a trade off between sharpness and shimmering with msaa2x vs shimmerless, ghosting, and less sharp image with DLSS, once frame time has been equalized between the two.

Reverb G2 V2  90 hz i think im out at the moment Id have to check on frequency..... Im still dialling loads of settings.... heading backwards now and again 🙂

DLAA with zero upscaling  is also good...had the advice from my friend.......

It seems I have lost foveated from Open XR its no longer on the menu ??

3 minutes ago, Marshallman said:

Reverb G2 V2  90 hz i think im out at the moment Id have to check on frequency..... Im still dialling loads of settings.... heading backwards now and again 🙂

DLAA with zero upscaling  is also good...had the advice from my friend.......

It seems I have lost foveated from Open XR its no longer on the menu ??

Great, if you could, please check in a more demanding mission. For example, F-16 cold start Nevada instant action, or P-51D free flight Channel map (when flying over the city right at the coast).

Both OXRTK and QVFR can be run side by side, although you do need to disable FFR in OXRTK. The wiki has some detailed instructions. I have stopped using OXRTK now. I find that the QVFR and DCS 2.9 now cover everything I previously used OXRTK for. 

Home · mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated Wiki · GitHub 

1 hour ago, recoilfx said:

What headset are you using? What native render res on the on your headset? Going with Oculus's 1.3x (72hz) native res, then another at 1.3PD in DCS, I basically will get the same frame time as 1.3x with MSAA2x. I have a 5800x3d/4090. For me, it's a trade off between sharpness and shimmering with msaa2x vs shimmerless, ghosting, and less sharp image with DLSS, once frame time has been equalized between the two.

I'm seeing the same. I guess my particular hardware combination (not as good as yours, I have to say) doesn't benefit from the new graphic options.

Tried QVFR last night and got noticeable worse performance than fixed foveated with OpenXR Toolkit, althought it seemed with less terrain stuttering. Couldn't benchmark, because for some weird reason when using QVFR, both Oculus Tray Tool and OpenXR Toolkit were reporting absurd frametimes.

Strange.

i5 10400, 3060ti, 64GB RAM, Quest 2.

1 minute ago, diego999 said:

I'm seeing the same. I guess my particular hardware combination (not as good as yours, I have to say) doesn't benefit from the new graphic options.

Tried QVFR last night and got noticeable worse performance than fixed foveated with OpenXR Toolkit, althought it seemed with less terrain stuttering. Couldn't benchmark, because for some weird reason when using QVFR, both Oculus Tray Tool and OpenXR Toolkit were reporting absurd frametimes.

Strange.

i5 10400, 3060ti, 64GB RAM, Quest 2.

QVFR has turbo mode on by default. This solves the terrain stuttering for many. It also screws up the frametime reports. (see the wiki). I don't think there is any point using QVFR if you don't have eye-tracking. You may as well stick to FR in OpenXR Toolkit. Try enabling turbo mode in OXRT and see if that helps your stuttering.

4 minutes ago, slughead said:

QVFR has turbo mode on by default. This solves the terrain stuttering for many. It also screws up the frametime reports. (see the wiki). I don't think there is any point using QVFR if you don't have eye-tracking. You may as well stick to FR in OpenXR Toolkit. Try enabling turbo mode in OXRT and see if that helps your stuttering.

Thank you. I looked through the wiki to learn about the settings and didn't see that part. Will try again tonight.

48 minutes ago, slughead said:

I don't think there is any point using QVFR if you don't have eye-tracking. You may as well stick to FR in OpenXR Toolkit.

QVFR should do a much better job than FFR in OXRTK. 

53 minutes ago, diego999 said:

Tried QVFR last night and got noticeable worse performance than fixed foveated with OpenXR Toolkit, althought it seemed with less terrain stuttering.

I get about a 30% performance increase with QVFR vs about 10% with OXRTK. I'm not sure why you are not seeing this. It might be worth asking for advice on the OXRTK discord in the Foveated Rendering channel. It might also be worth trying QVFR with OXRTK disabled. There are some conflicts with this.

10 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

QVFR should do a much better job than FFR in OXRTK. 

I get about a 30% performance increase with QVFR vs about 10% with OXRTK. I'm not sure why you are not seeing this. It might be worth asking for advice on the OXRTK discord in the Foveated Rendering channel. It might also be worth trying QVFR with OXRTK disabled. There are some conflicts with this.

Will try that.

What I'm interested in is QVFR's ability to supersample only the central region.

15 minutes ago, diego999 said:

Will try that.

What I'm interested in is QVFR's ability to supersample only the central region.

Yes, that is what I am finding very useful since the release of 2.9.

3 minutes ago, TZeer said:

Maybe because he is more CPU bound. @diego999 running i5 10400, while you @Qcumber running 5800X3D.

That’s a good point. I am still mainly GPU bound but, according to DCS devs, 2.9 uses more CPU than 2.8.