data link on AH-64

giullep

Just to confirm, its necessary to use the preset radio to SC the DL and it is not possible to add the frequency manually right? I mean if I would like to use an FM2 34.55 manually its cant be possible right now only can be use if i set that frequency before on mission editor.

Thanks  to all

On 10/22/2023 at 8:32 AM, beewip said:

Just to confirm, its necessary to use the preset radio to SC the DL and it is not possible to add the frequency manually right? I mean if I would like to use an FM2 34.55 manually its cant be possible right now only can be use if i set that frequency before on mission editor.

To get on the same net as someone else you must have their datalink ID in your radio preset. manual frequencies don't work.

If you want a custom frequency or want to start from scratch with datalink you need to do the following

1. Go to COM
  2. Select a Preset (only preset 1-8 can use datalink) that you want to use
  3. Hit PRESET EDIT
  4. (optional) Name the preset and give it a callsign (what you call that preset). This need not be the same between datalink members, it doesn't even need to be the same preset index. You can change preset 1 to be ABC and your friend can change preset 6 to be DEF and it will still work as long as the rest is OK.
  5. Select the radio you want to use on the top. For example FM
  6. Enter the frequency. For example 34.55 for FM2 (on the right)
  7. Hit MODEM
  8. Make sure PROTOCOL is set to DATALINK, auto ack as desired (just set it to ON, since there is no detailed electronic warfare in DCS that would give away your position)
  9. Click NET
  10. Add all datalink members to that preset. There are multiple ways to do this. Yo u do not need to add yourself.
    1. Manual
      1. Click a spot that is free (the ?)
      2. Click C/S and enter a callsign, this does not need to match your friend's actual aircraft callsign as seen in his aircraft and is for your reference only.
      3. Click SUB and enter the datalink subscriber ID of your friend. The SUB button will not appear until a callsign is entered. It will also not appear if the PROTOCOL in MODEM is not set to DATALINK
    2. Member DIrectory
      1. Click MBR DIR
      2. Find your friend's callsign and/or aircraft description as per the mission editor
      3. Hit ADD or REPLACE, when REPLACE then select a slot for them to go into
      4. Optionally change the C/S to something that you can recognize better than what DCS put in there
  11. Set your friends as PRIMARY and TEAM
  12. Select IDM to be on the desired radio, in this case FM2, with the IDM switch on the EUFD
  13. Select the radio, in this case FM2 with RTS
  14. Hit the preset (P) button the EUFD
  15. Select the correct preset you programmed earlier with the WCA switch
  16. Hit the Enter button to the right of the preset button
  17. Your friend does the same thing with your info.

Notes

• Check your callsign (C/S) and Subscriber ID in COM -> ORIG ID, your callsign is on L1, your ID on R1. Both are also found in the info box in the middle.
  • Aircraft callsigns can have up to 5 letters or numbers. If you change it, other people's MBR DIR won't be updating. They would have to switch it in their NET configuration
  • Aircraft callsigns that are longer than 3 characters will get truncated for IDM Subscriber Idents when receiving a position report.
  • Aircraft callsigns need not match, the only thing important to match is the ID and the frequency. The aircraft callsign in the datalink member list is used for reference:
    • When receiving position reports (truncated to 3 characters for the IDM Subscriber ident control measure)
    • For received reports to indicate who sent them
    • For the push button labels on the MFD when sending data to indicate who shall receive the data
  • Only presets can have a net configuration. When entering a frequency manually, then the radio can not be used for datalink until a preset with a net configuration is reselected on it.
  • Preset unit IDs (Names) are up to 8 characters long
  • Preset call signs are up to 5 characters long

Edited by FalcoGer
Tested C/S differing between aircraft, will still work, information only
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Question, it is possible to use the datalink only on VHF SC? 

We tried today to use a preset on FM2 SC, here we always got a XMIT NAK FM2... after switching back to VHF it worked without problems.

Edit:

.miz-file where i tryed to make a datalink work over FM2.

datalink_test.miz

Edited by [RENEGADES] T-Bone

Specs: R7 3800X, 32Gb 3600Mhz, RTX 2070 S, M2 SSd 970 Pro

Equipment: microHELIS Bell 206 Pedale + Toe-Brakes, microHELIS OH-58D Collective, microHELIS OH-58D Cyclic, Realteus Forcefeel, TrackIR 5

On 10/2/2023 at 9:06 AM, Raptor9 said:

it is true that we have no plans to implement any other datalink types aside from the AH-64D-to-AH-64D datalink.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Is the Apache datalink going to be able to talk to the Kiowa?

I mean, if it's ever released.

Edited by [HOUNDS] CptTrips

On 10/24/2023 at 5:18 AM, [RENEGADES] T-Bone said:

Question, it is possible to use the datalink only on VHF SC? 

We tried today to use a preset on FM2 SC, here we always got a XMIT NAK FM2... after switching back to VHF it worked without problems.

Edit:

.miz-file where i tryed to make a datalink work over FM2.

datalink_test.miz 10.93 kB · 1 download

Hi T-Bone,

I now have it working on FM2.  Followed instructions from NeedzWD40 (although they look the same as FalcoGer wrote in principle). 

null

1. Edit originator and callsign. In my case, "A" and "APACH" used.

2. Edit preset 1 name and CS. "BUDDY" and "BUDS" used in my case.

3. Edit FM2 frequency to 30.5.

4. Set primary to FM2 SC.

5. Edit first member with CS of "B11" and SUB of "1". Edit second member with CS of "B12" and SUB of "2".

6. Set both B11 and B12 to TEAM and PRI.

7. Back to COM main page, select L1/Preset 1 "BUDDY". Select FM2 from top row, then select "SC" from TUNE FM2.

8. Select FM2 radio with IDM rocker on EUFD. Ensure EUFD indicates "BUDS" and "L1".

9. As I only have AI to work with: Go to TSD, select RPT, select PP, shift MSG from SEND to RQST, ensure B11 and B12 are boxed, then select SEND FM2 L1 on bottom right. This should work for players as well as it worked for me and a friend before.

10. "PP REPORT" indicated in EUFD advisories.

11. B11 and B12 icons appear on TSD.

I've done this in multiplayer from both seats so it should be working, but there could be some other conditions missing that I'm unaware of in the scenario. Originating IDs can be 1-39 and A-Z, callsigns 5 characters, accepted from the set on the KU.

It took me 3 or 4 times minimum before I finally got it right.  If FM2 isn't tuned and SC, no go.  I think what was mucking me up, was not having identical settings in both aircraft (in point #2 above).

Good liuck

'52

• Thanks 1

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

I could be wrong,  but I don’t think you need to have your own info in the preset, just the other members of the flight group. They, of course, have to have you, and you have to have them.

I think this is how we were setting it up, but I will double-check the next time we fly. 

Thank you for your explanations, we will try to set up a datalink via FM2 this evening. 👍

Specs: R7 3800X, 32Gb 3600Mhz, RTX 2070 S, M2 SSd 970 Pro

Equipment: microHELIS Bell 206 Pedale + Toe-Brakes, microHELIS OH-58D Collective, microHELIS OH-58D Cyclic, Realteus Forcefeel, TrackIR 5

• ED Team

To clarify a few things; as Floyd1212 said, you don't need to add your own aircraft to the NET page. That would be like trying to call your own phone number.

As for setting a radio as Primary within a preset, this has no functional effect on the radios or the datalink. All this does is highlight the corresponding radio and frequency in white on the COM page.

If I have a preset allocated for an AWACS, and I know the AWACS is on the UHF frequency within that preset, I might designate UHF SC as the Primary frequency as a way of reminding myself and my crewmember which radio I need to tune to talk to them. It's just a "human factors" feature to draw the attention of the pilots to the intended frequency for use.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Hello everybody,

I read all the posts above and found very useful and interesting, but i wasn't able to understand if DL, at this state, it's working between an AI Apache and a "human" one.

If so, i guess i should configure the AI-Apache DL in ME right?

Thanks a lot and apologies if this is a dumb question.

"If you low&slow you're BBQing, if you hot&fast you're grilling, if you low&fast you're flying an Apache"

6 hours ago, simo-dj said:

I read all the posts above and found very useful and interesting, but i wasn't able to understand if DL, at this state, it's working between an AI Apache and a "human" one.

Extremely limited right now, but by default if an AI AH-64D Blk. II is placed in a mission, it will automatically be added to the members directory and you can get some rudimentary reports like PP and FARM, provided you know their default mission frequency (ie if the AI unit is set to use 225MHz, you'll have to use the UHF radio, or if it's 127.5MHz you'll have to use VHF, etc.). Everything else is WIP.

• Like 2

18 ore fa, NeedzWD40 ha scritto:

Extremely limited right now, but by default if an AI AH-64D Blk. II is placed in a mission, it will automatically be added to the members directory and you can get some rudimentary reports like PP and FARM, provided you know their default mission frequency (ie if the AI unit is set to use 225MHz, you'll have to use the UHF radio, or if it's 127.5MHz you'll have to use VHF, etc.). Everything else is WIP.

Thanks a lot @NeedzWD40!! You are such a great source of infos for Apache. Thanks a again!

• Like 1

"If you low&slow you're BBQing, if you hot&fast you're grilling, if you low&fast you're flying an Apache"