data link on AH-64

giullep

Now there's a good reason to release the Kiowa. This is what they've been waiting for!
Yeah, no.. 

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

6 hours ago, giullep said:

Unfortunately I play always solo not in multy, and then ONLY for ME this new stuff is useless..I hope that in the word "more and more" there are other news for our apache in the 2.9...finger crossed

Well the AI will be able to use it for sure! And i strongly disagree with the useless part.

Does anyone know what this means, exactly?

"Due to complications stemming from our other businesses, we had to adjust datalink terms. In this case, Secure Modem Datalink (SMDL). This is all I will say on the matter. "

I totally understand the sensitivity of the systems in question and possible intervention by government customers, but: is the name changed, or what? 😄
Functionality-wise I am certain everything will be fine for us in the scope of DCS, looking forward to it!

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

3 minutes ago, giullep said:

but for the f-16 and the f-18 they need a minimum number of player to use DL..or not? for the ah-64 is different? I can use DL with AI?? Sure?

No, you don't need a "minimum number of players", and yes the AI flight members will share DL with you. It will be similar in the Apache.

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

17 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

Does anyone know what this means, exactly?

"Due to complications stemming from our other businesses, we had to adjust datalink terms. In this case, Secure Modem Datalink (SMDL). This is all I will say on the matter. "

I totally understand the sensitivity of the systems in question and possible intervention by government customers, but: is the name changed, or what? 😄
Functionality-wise I am certain everything will be fine for us in the scope of DCS, looking forward to it!

My guess is that they don't want to accidentally confuse - or worse, merge - information about the datalinks in the DCS game and any sort of acual Link 16 or VMF simulation they might be doing in their defence products. So they call it TNDL and SMDL instead of Link 16 and VMF, so that when someone in the company says Link 16, nobody thinks they're talking about DCS.

• Like 1

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Basically, they can't use the name "Link-16" anymore for whatever reason. IMO, trademarking official military designation is stupid. These aren't even assigned by a company, but by the US government.

as mentioned in the note it is not something we will discuss. It is the way it has to be and that is that. 

thank you

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

as mentioned in the note it is not something we will discuss. It is the way it has to be and that is that. 

thank you

Sure thing, I just wanted to ask for a clarification as to what has been renamed to what. All good.

21 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Basically, they can't use the name "Link-16" anymore for whatever reason. IMO, trademarking official military designation is stupid. These aren't even assigned by a company, but by the US government.

Or they want to avoid WarThunder scenario in which someone shows a secret Link-16 docs and the next thing you know, a sad G-man is asking you difficult questions in a dark room somewhere on Gitmo.

• ED Team
12 minutes ago, amalahama said:

So, can we expect to have the option to send through the net lines and zones, or that's not applicable on the Apache version we're getting?

Refer to NOTE 4. There are more datalink features coming, but they are not fully implemented yet. Wags was just showing the datalink features that are currently working as intended for the initial release of the AH-64D datalink.

image.png

In other words, stay tuned. 🙂

• Like 4

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Great to hear about the datalink. I imagine SHOT reports will be particularly useful. I'll soon have to start flying the Apache more. 🙂

On 10/6/2023 at 5:11 PM, AlphaOneSix said:

Link 16 is very much a trademarked term owned by L3Harris. It is not owned by any government.

My issue is about them being allowed to "own" a term that is derived from NATO nomenclature in first place. AFAIK, they didn't come up with it as a catchy brand name, almost all NATO datalink systems are called "Link #". This is not their own invention and they don't deserve to own it (although there should be a separate rule preventing another datalink from being called "Link 16", because that would just be confusing).

So in the end;

The Datalink system (no matter how they call it and why) will be like the A10C one ? (let me finish)

You'll be able to send text message to specific ship ? (its a nice mostly non used features sadly...) [End of the A10C comparaison],

Then share threats and points (that you are likely to have if the mission maker didnot hide all units from MFD) and zones, wich is great to deconflict fire.

Will you be able to share FCR detected target ? This might be behind the "classified" / "we dont want DCS to be this close to IRL" [paraphrasing Wags wich basicly said they control what capability they put in and how to not allow people to mis-use DCS, was a great interview]

I suppose you'll be able to share Target Points ? This would proove extremely usefull for "seaker / shooter" or to increase SA having every one looking at the same thing.

Now, he said that you have to send / reply answer (wich is logic since its not continuously broadcasting), how cockpit-mouse-clicking-button intensive that is ? Like if i wanna know where my mate is i send him a POSIT request ?  I ask cause if you're are flying alone, flying and mousing is somewhat difficult (well to me, and i know about cursor) lol...

1 hour ago, hotrod525 said:

You'll be able to send text message to specific ship ? (its a nice mostly non used features sadly...) [End of the A10C comparaison],

[...]

Will you be able to share FCR detected target ? This might be behind the "classified" / "we dont want DCS to be this close to IRL" [paraphrasing Wags wich basicly said they control what capability they put in and how to not allow people to mis-use DCS, was a great interview]

I suppose you'll be able to share Target Points ? This would proove extremely usefull for "seaker / shooter" or to increase SA having every one looking at the same thing.

'Yes' to these questions. This will likely even go so far as being able to shoot a Lima Hellfire at a target from a buddy AH64 Radar, which was sent over Datalink.

58 minutes ago, HeliHell said:

Shame about Apache datalink not having the same functionality of the other modules with positional data constantly updated. Hopefully this is on a to-do list 🙂

I doubt that it's on the to-do list if it doesn't exist in this Apache version in real life. And, spoiler, it doesn't.

Edited by Mad_Shell
  • Like 4