Switching From Reverb G2 to Varjo Aero

drspankle

Hi all,

At the minute, to run DCS in my G2 I open WMR, then start DCS.  After each update to DCS I need to copy and paste 3 files into the .bin folder which make DCS run in VR (I think).  If I buy the Varjo Aero, what do I need to do in order to make DCS run in VR.

Be gentle with me ...

Dr Spankle

1.) The Varjo base software autostarts with windows.

2.) Start DCS 

Enjoy!

There is a post about the details (which DCS executable to run) available on the forum, but I assume you want to know how many steps are necessary at every start and how comfortable these are.

For performance reasons you install once a mod for foveated rendering. With this mod you will have better performance than with the G2.

(I run an optional additional fix for chromatic abberation for now every headset startup, that will be integrated into the base software later.)

The first time setup process was no hazzle and I like the varjo base software much better than than the WMR software.

Overall it is a nicer UI experience with the Aero than the Reverb in my opinion. 

If you can spare the money, you will be probably very happy with the Aero. 

Edited by Motomouse
  • Like 2

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Excellent thank you Motomouse!  So there's no need to start dropping files into DCS folders or anything like that - I just install the Varjo software once and that's it?  

Sounds awesome.  Am I right in saying the headset tracks the position of your eyes in order to increase the resolution of the are being looked at?

Thanks,

Dr Spankle

I'm a bit puzzled because I have a G2 but I don't remember to drop file at every update, unless we are talking about mods like "black hangar" and so on. In that case before and after an update, I just need to click 2 buttons with OVGME, to remove them before update, and to reapply them afterwards. Very handy. which mods do you use?

5 hours ago, drspankle said:

Excellent thank you Motomouse!  So there's no need to start dropping files into DCS folders or anything like that - I just install the Varjo software once and that's it?  

Sounds awesome.  Am I right in saying the headset tracks the position of your eyes in order to increase the resolution of the are being looked at?

Thanks,

Dr Spankle

Yes. Headset tracks eyes for the Dynamic Foveated Rendering and it is most awesome. Greatly increases performance where most are like me and never even notice a difference, fantastic image clarity. Everywhere  you look with your eyes is one heck of a sweet spot. In fact I run my Aero at highest setting.

You will just need a bit of software from mbucchia, I use the original version .2 of his Varjo Foveated. Love it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 10/16/2023 at 3:00 PM, drspankle said:

Awesom thanks.  Just need to sell a kidney and we're away ...

Why? The Aero reduced the price to half, so that's $1000 (around 1200€ here in Europe with VAT). If you don't have a lighthouse (I have two from the original Vive), that's around 150 more. That's it. You don't even need controllers.

I got mine in september with the 25% discount, and soon after it arrived they lowered it to 50%, and they honored the price reduction.

TBH, after using the Aero, all of my other headsets are used for regular VR games, they have been completely made obsolete by the Aero to use sims like DCS, MSFS, iRacing, ACC, etc. The difference is HUGE, and I'm coming from things like the original Reverb, G2, Vive Pro 2 and Pico 4, among others. Now the limit is the game and not the headset.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Phantom711 said:

Ok…I‘m intrigued…what files would that be? What happens if you don‘t copy/paste them?

I think it was something to do with Opencomposite (and I don't know what that actually is ...). All I know is that, when I bought my G2, someone on YT told me I needed three files to drop into the .bin folder to make DCS run in VR.  Do I not need to do that any more?

1 hour ago, valrond said:

Why? The Aero reduced the price to half, so that's $1000 (around 1200€ here in Europe with VAT). If you don't have a lighthouse (I have two from the original Vive), that's around 150 more. That's it. You don't even need controllers.

I got mine in september with the 25% discount, and soon after it arrived they lowered it to 50%, and they honored the price reduction.

TBH, after using the Aero, all of my other headsets are used for regular VR games, they have been completely made obsolete by the Aero to use sims like DCS, MSFS, iRacing, ACC, etc. The difference is HUGE, and I'm coming from things like the original Reverb, G2, Vive Pro 2 and Pico 4, among others. Now the limit is the game and not the headset.

Yeah same here. I will just occasionally use my Index just for grins with M5 Mercenaries VR Mod. Everything else - Aero all the way!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks guys - as usual the forum dwellers here on DCS are a great help.  Back in the day, in order to not have to use Steam VR there was a work around to force DCS to use Open XR - this is what I still do.  It would seem I don't have to do this. 

So, from my reading and investigating it would seem I just have to add an extension (--force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR start )onto the exe to force it to open in VR (as long as my G2 is powered up) ... Am I getting warm?  I don't have to open WMR?

Thanks,

Dr Spankle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drspankle said:

Thanks guys - as usual the forum dwellers here on DCS are a great help.  Back in the day, in order to not have to use Steam VR there was a work around to force DCS to use Open XR - this is what I still do.  It would seem I don't have to do this. 

So, from my reading and investigating it would seem I just have to add an extension (--force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR start )onto the exe to force it to open in VR (as long as my G2 is powered up) ... Am I getting warm?  I don't have to open WMR?

Thanks,

Dr Spankle

Correct. Only reason you would ever need WMR would be if you had a WMR Headset like Reverb.

You do not need the force enable VR if you have VR option checked to run in DCS GUI.

You will want to run MT version of DCS executable for sure, it is in the DCS bin-mt folder.

I "think" you probably don't have to have the force open XR nomenclature either as I think the MT version runs by default Open XR  but hurts nothing to put it there, I have had it there for a long time.

Make sure you have Open XR toggled on in the Varjo software.

Have fun,

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

3 minutes ago, Phantom711 said:

@dburne

drspankle has not sold his kidney yet.

so with a HP G2….WMR it still is. All the rest is correct though.

Just to avoid confusion here….

Ah ok thanks missed that. 

Don B

• 1 month later...

OK - so it has taken a while to get the money together but I still have some questions (and my kidneys):

Base stations (Lighthouses).  Varjo don't seem to sell any on their website (or possibly I'm being a biff).  Which ones and how many do I need?

Hand controllers.  Do I need any?  I never use the ones I have for the Reverb - do I need some for the setup?  I'd rather not buy some just to accomplish that.

Accesories.  When I go through the process of placing the headset in my cart it asks if I want a power supply (at extra cost).  I presume it comes with one ... Or do I need to buy everything individually including this, face cushions, 5m power cable etc ...?

Black friday tomorrow with 10% off, so your timely replies oh great forum elders would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Spankle

When I bought my Aero, I bought the base stations from them also.  I later realized that I could get them quite a bit cheaper on Amazon.  I bought two and they do a great job of tracking.  I have read that one station is enough, but I have always used two.

You definitely don't need the hand controllers.  I used a mouse for all of the setup.

All of the needed accessories are included with the headset purchase.   I think the only other thing is the adapter if you have a laptop.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Windows 11, GPU: RTX-4090, Ram: 32gb, CPU: 12700k, Headset: Varjo Aero

vor einer Stunde schrieb MAThrasher:

When I bought my Aero, I bought the base stations from them also.  I later realized that I could get them quite a bit cheaper on Amazon.  I bought two and they do a great job of tracking.  I have read that one station is enough, but I have always used two.

You definitely don't need the hand controllers.  I used a mouse for all of the setup.

All of the needed accessories are included with the headset purchase.   I think the only other thing is the adapter if you have a laptop.

Hope this helps!

Are the HTC VIVE Pro base station 2.0 compatible with the aero? The base stations at Varjo directly are so expensive

AMD 7800X3D | Asus TUF Gaming X670E Plus | Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 64GB @6000MHz| NVIDIA 4090 FE | DCS only @ M.2 WD SN850X 1TB | Quest 3 & Virtual Desktop | TM Warthog | TM Pedals | | My F-18 Rogers SimPit

I believe the HTC Vive base station 2 is the exact same one Varjo sells.  When you search for that on Amazon, the sale price is $149.  The one that I received from Varjo included the wall mount.  I am not sure about the one on Amazon.  If it doesn't have a wall mount, that is an extra $12.99.  That is still much cheaper!

Edited by MAThrasher

Order placed - thanks for all the help guys.  I appreciate it as the PC tech stuff isn't my strong suit.  That said, I fly contract CAS these days providing training and currency for JTACs on the ground, so if I can help anyone out with that area of DCS just hit me up.

Dr Spankle

• Like 1

23 hours ago, drspankle said:

Order placed - thanks for all the help guys.  I appreciate it as the PC tech stuff isn't my strong suit.  That said, I fly contract CAS these days providing training and currency for JTACs on the ground, so if I can help anyone out with that area of DCS just hit me up.

Dr Spankle

Congratulations, you will love the Aero! 

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

On 12/2/2023 at 5:10 AM, drspankle said:

Dr Spankle

You won't regret it. I did the same a few weeks ago. Very happy so far.

14 hours ago, mmike87 said:

You won't regret it. I did the same a few weeks ago. Very happy so far.

Any issue with the setup or any advicxe on setting it up?  I've seen a lot of older posts on here about getting started but it looks like a lot of issues have been ironed out.  Was it mostly plug and play?  And what lighthouses do you use?

Cheers,

Dr Spankle

Speaking from my experience, it was very plug and play.  I went to the Varjo website and followed their setup guide.  Everything worked on the very first try and it is still working without any issues.  The Steam base stations also worked on the first try after plugging them in.  Perhaps I was just unusually lucky!  

The documentation (Varjo.com -> Support -> Getting started)  is very nice and easy to follow.

Edited by MAThrasher