2.9 BETA - Extreme FPS drops after few minutes (DCS MiG-21,Caucasus)

Hello,

first sorry for my broken English. 

I am updated my DCS to 2.9. If I play my own training mission for DCS MiG-21BIS (Caucasus), so I have problem with extreme low FPS drops (3 - 5FPS) every few minutes. Any time I have normal FPS, but after few minutes my FPS drop to minimum, FPS drops takes a few seconds (5 - 10 seconds). This status lasts since the update to version 2.9. 

My HW: intel i-9 12900K, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080, 2x .m2 (DCS installed on .m2 disk), 32" ASUS monitor
DCS Version: Non-Steam, classic client version  2.9.0.46801

My settings:

I translated keywords, to English: 
Vysoký - High
Nízky - Low

Any ideas on temporary workarounds - in my setting (while maintaining quality)? Thank you guys... 

settings.png

Edited by Molnija1985

• Molnija1985 changed the title to 2.9 BETA - Extreme FPS drops after few minutes (DCS MiG-21,Caucasus)

That's kind of weird is it affecting only the training mission? or everything else is freezing as well? your settings look good for your card I would probably turn off anything to do w flat shadows (blur), try with and without vsync, just the usual turn on and off one settings at a time trying to isolate the problem and you know the usual advice as well if you have any mods that you activated before I would get rid of everything. I have similar system except 3090 card and everything is running super awesome after the update, using DLAA

TM Warthog MFG TIR5 GT Omega Pro/ButKickerx1/WheelStandPro Playseat/ButKickerx2

Thank you for answares.

@Tzigy, no, i not use any mods. And I play only my own missions for my eastern airplanes (Yak-52,MiG-15, 19, 21, Mi-8,24), but I suppose that it will be a generic problem independently from DCS modules or missions. 

@Flappie thank you for you workaround. It is this regural bug, will it be fixed by ED? If yes, i will wait for fix. I really don't like to make system intervention, i.e. to the registries. Alternatively, could you please tell me what the intervention specifically means, whether it can have a negative effect on the operation of my PC?

Again, sorry for my english...

I hope it will be fixed sooner than later, but I have no news to share so far.

Try the "High performance" (or "Max performance") power plan in Windows Power options, then tell us if it works for you (it's supposed to disable core parking among other things).

image.jpeg

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I have high performance power.plan enabled. With a 13900k and 4090, I disabled HAGS in windows and it ran a little better.

But the longer I fly, the worse performance gets. To the point where even in the menu I'm getting freezing and stutter, frames drop down to 5 at times. This is in VR.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Hellou @Flappie

i set power options on High Performance:

Vysoký výkon = High Performance

power_set.png

However problem with freezing continues to persist. Maybe it isn't so frequent, but it's still freezing. DCS is currently unflayable for me 😕 

This is my brutal responses:

responses.png

Thank you for you time...

Edited by Molnija1985

35 minutes ago, Molnija1985 said:

Hellou @Flappie

i set power options on High Performance:

Vysoký výkon = High Performance

power_set.png

However problem with freezing continues to persist. Maybe it isn't so frequent, but it's still freezing. DCS is currently unflayable for me 😕 

This is my brutal responses:

responses.png

Thank you for you time...

I have got the same issue my friend. I have started new topic to not let it die between other post. 

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/336422-29-after-update-massive-stutteringimage-freeze-for-1-3-sec-all-time-even-at-low-settings/#comment-5315935

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

@Flappie any news about resolving this critical bug? Current after latest beta update is situation most worse. Now I have FPS drops also in main menu or, map. editor 😞 DCS is unplayable. 

Any know workarounds are not working for my 😞

Pls. fix this bug as soon as possible.

best regards

P.S.: sorry for my broken English...

Molnija

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, 

@Flappie / @BIGNEWY  any news about this bug? According to the forum, several players have a this bug. Moreover, it is a really critical matter… DCS (BETA) is curently unplayable for several peoples. I have a PC mainly because of DCS...I have been your constant and stable fan since Flanker 2.0. 

Is it likely that this bug will be fixed by Christmas? I don't even want to hear about downgrading to a lower version. 🙂

Thank you and sorry for my poor english....

If you need any help in identifying the this bug, please give me specific requirements.

Bye...

Edited by Molnija1985

• ED Team
39 minutes ago, Molnija1985 said:

Hello, 

@Flappie / @BIGNEWY  any news about this bug? According to the forum, several players have a this bug. Moreover, it is a really critical matter… DCS (BETA) is curently unplayable for several peoples. I have a PC mainly because of DCS...I have been your constant and stable fan since Flanker 2.0. 

Is it likely that this bug will be fixed by Christmas? I don't even want to hear about downgrading to a lower version. 🙂

Thank you and sorry for my poor english....

If you need any help in identifying the this bug, please give me specific requirements.

Bye...

Hi, 

we are working on a server issue currently related to performance for the next patch, but I am not aware of a specific issue for the Mig-21 and low FPS. 

can you attach your dcs log and dxdiag so we can look for more clues. 

On 10/20/2023 at 11:04 AM, Molnija1985 said:

I am updated my DCS to 2.9. If I play my own training mission for DCS MiG-21BIS (Caucasus), so I have problem with extreme low FPS drops (3 - 5FPS) every few minutes. Any time I have normal FPS, but after few minutes my FPS drop to minimum, FPS drops takes a few seconds (5 - 10 seconds). This status lasts since the update to version 2.9. 

can you attach the miz or track replay from the specific mission so we can take a look. 

When I test on my system all seems ok, wondering if it is mission specific?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi,

sure, I will summarize all the necessary information and send.

Thanks for your interest, for me DCS is a matter of the heart - for which I actually have a PC...and I permanently change my PC every 5 years because of DCS 😄

best regards

Molniya

Edited by Molnija1985

• ED Team
52 minutes ago, Molnija1985 said:

Hi,

sure, I will summarize all the necessary information and send.

Thanks for your interest, for me DCS is a matter of the heart - for which I actually have a PC...and I permanently change my PC every 5 years because of DCS 😄

best regards

Molniya

yep its a passion for many of us and I share your 5 year pc change strategy also 🙂

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@BIGNEWY or anyone from ED/TFC...please heeeelp: 

Just to be sure, I repeated the test and am sending all the findings:

HW:
CPU: intel i-9 12900K (without OC)
RAM: 32GB RAM (without OC)
GPU: RTX 3080 (without OC with latest update 546.33 from 12/12/2023)
HDD: 2x .m2 
Monitor: 32" ASUS

TrackIR: v5 
Joysticks: Saitek X56 + peddals

SW:
Other system sofware: WiseCare 365 PRO, ARMOURY CRATE

Prerequisites:

DCS version: NON-STEAM
NEW_My account: RussianKnights
DCS Beta (2.9.1.48335), was installed from previous versions.
Installed Mods for DCS: None
Installed language: Czech (Čeština)
Modules aircraft: DCS A-10C, DCS F-86F, L-39, M-2000C, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, MiG-15Bis, Mig-19P, MiG-21Bis, Mirage F-1, P-47, P-51, Yak-52
Modules maps: Nevada (free, due to the purchased DCS A-10C), Caucasus, Channel (upgraded to 2.0),  Marianas, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Sinai, 
Modules others: Combined Arms, China Asset Pack, FC3, WW2 asset pack

My current setting:

settings.png

Occurrence of bug:

• from upgrade on 2.9 version (Until the arrival of the long-awaited version 2.9 with DLSS support, this bug did not occur.)
  • occurs regardless of setting
  • today I tested this bug on other maps and DCS modules...default map Persian Gulf and F-86 and Mirage F1 and bug is occurs too, so it is not map or DCS module dependent
  • NEW_the bug occurs in singleplayer, I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I assume it will be the same, I will try it on request

Description of bug:

• occurrence of unexpected FPS drops, e.g. from 60 (with enabled Vsync) to 8 FPS...also tested with VSync disabled with the same result.
  • the FPS drops occurs mainly when switching views (F2, F3) but also in the standard F1 view after a certain time....
  • during the one-hour flight, I am in the FPS drops for about 20 minutes

Proposed temporarily workarounds by ED  @Flappie : 

• Set "High performance" in Windows Power Options -> not working
  • Workaround described on this page https://www.dannymoran.com/windows-cpu-core-parking/ -> not accepted this workaround from my side, I am afraid to changes in registers where I do not know the impact of the changes

My own mission where is bug occured:

see attachment USSR_1984_Caucasus_SHOOTING_MiG-21Bis.miz

*but as I already stated, the error also occurs on a completely newly created map (independent of the selected map) where I put only one  aircraft.

Logs from DCS:

see attachment Logs.zip

Logs from DXDiag:

see attachment DXDiag_log.txt

Any screens with bug:

Screen_231213_192915.jpg

Screen_231213_193411.jpg

Logs.zip DxDiag_log.txt

USSR_1984_Caucasus_SHOOTING_MiG-21Bis.miz

Edited by Molnija1985

• ED Team

Ive tested the mission on my system and not seeing any fps hit, was around 150fps for me. 

Screenshot 2023-12-13 203010.png

Consider setting a higher pagefile, currently its to low, make sure there is plenty of space on the drive also.

Tuning Tips

Turn down Anisotropic Filtering.
Turn off SSLR.
If you have FPS issues, try turning off VSYNC in graphics settings.
Set Water to Medium or Low.
Turn off SSAO.
Set Preload Radius to max. 60000.
Consider using DLAA.
Set Shadows to Medium.
Disable civil traffic.

let me know if you notice a difference after. 

thank you

• ED Team

Something else worth trying.

Rename your dcs folder in saved games, keep it as a backup. 

then restart DCS it will create a new folder, login, reset settings and test the mission again. 

do you see a difference? 

@BIGNEWY ouuuuu, my new UK best friend...damn it...it looks, that if I set up my PageFile on disk C., so this realy fix my problem! Thank you so much...right, after Thom Yorke, Irwin Welsh and Danny Boyle you are my second favorite person from the UK!!!! 🙂 Thank you...

I'll test it a little longer tomorrow to be sure, unfortunately I don't have much time today...

Edited by Molnija1985
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
23 minutes ago, Molnija1985 said:

@BIGNEWY ouuuuu, my new UK best friend...damn it...it looks, that if I set up my PageFile on disk C., so this realy fix my problem! Thank you so much...right, after Thom Yorke, Irwin Welsh and Danny Boyle you are my second favorite person from the UK!!!! 🙂 Thank you...

I'll test it a little longer tomorrow to be sure, unfortunately I don't have much time today...

great to hear, get back to having fun now 🙂 

16 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

great to hear, get back to having fun now 🙂 

Yep, DCS is my alterego, schizophrenia I was unhappy that for the first time in 14 years I couldn't fly it for more than a month...mine "bolshaya" aircrafts....😄

Pleeeeaaaase add DCS Su-17, 22M4/UBM, 25, Il-28, MiG-25, map of middle europe in cold war....personally, even if the module costs 100 euros, I buy it....

Edited by Molnija1985
  • Like 1